D23 will stream live the CoP presentation at Destination D (Attraction Rewind) this Saturday

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Did you ever get to attend any of the events. And have you used the website for their "rewinds" of the events? What did you think of it?

I wish they still published the regular "Disney" magazine. It had a lot of this type of stuff before they made this fan club.

And, yes, @Figments Friend , I agree. Keep it coming if you have more to share. Others, too. This has become a very informative thread for fans of CoP and the World's Fair.

Nope I never got to experience ANY event! Because I had no way of transportation.. Which is why I dropped my membership!

The D23 magazines were great. Also, when we went to Epcot for a day one time.. My dad didn't fully understand the D23 membership thing. So he asked if we could get a discount on parking because his son is a D23 member, and he just let us park for free!

That was really the only advantage we ever got out of it.. But if you can attend the events, I'd say it's definitely worth money! Without the events, it's kind of pointless.. Unless you buy a lot of Disney merchandise online and want discounts.

Monorail Lime

If anyone is still procrastinating.... Today may be your last chance to "buy" a free D23 membership and complete the account registration process in time for Saturday's webcast.

Now is the best time! ;)

216bruce

I'm a D23 member and continue to get the magazine. I went to a Fanniversary event in Chicago a year or so ago and was underwhelmed by it. There just wasn't much presented and even less to be seen. On the other hand, I've been to the last two Expos and they are fantastic (going to the one next year with my son)! If you can at all swing it time and money-wise...GO! Seeing the Disney Legends ceremony, stars of the films, and seeing clips of upcoming films is great. Yeah, the lines and wait times are ludicrous but that's just how it is.
I'm thrilled that they are webcasting this and pray that they continue to do so for us members that don't live in SoCal or Orlando.

prberk

Original Poster
If anyone is still procrastinating.... Today may be your last chance to "buy" a free D23 membership and complete the account registration process in time for Saturday's webcast.

Now is the best time! ;)

I did that last Friday, but I still cannot get on. It keeps telling me, during the D23 registration process, that my name (typed in exactly like I it is on my Disney Store "member profile" page showing D23 membership) does not match my membership number, using the "Member Number" on that profile page. This on top of the fact that my receipt printed at the time of registration shows a different, shorter number. That one will not match my name either. So, I can't get past the registration page on the D23 site. I have left several messages on their D23 member services number, and sent a couple of e-mails. They have only responded with one e-mail that essentially copied and pasted their registration page and told me to carefully type in my information. I can't get anyone to look at it behind the scenes to fix it. I am beginning to be very disappointed. It has been a week, and I have been a big advocate for them and this event....

djlaosc

Now is the best time! ;)

For the free membership, do Disney send out anything in the post, or do they only ask for your address because they are using the Disney Store online shop?

prberk

Original Poster
For the free membership, do Disney send out anything in the post, or do they only ask for your address because they are using the Disney Store online shop?

I think that is why, because when it got to that page it was the same template for purchasing something for delivery, only it would end up being like download. But still had your address like for delivery or credit card if you were going to buy something. Same format.

dkp

I did that last Friday, but I still cannot get on. It keeps telling me, during the D23 registration process, that my name (typed in exactly like I it is on my Disney Store "member profile" page showing D23 membership) does not match my membership number, using the "Member Number" on that profile page. This on top of the fact that my receipt printed at the time of registration shows a different, shorter number. That one will not match my name either. So, I can't get past the registration page on the D23 site. I have left several messages on their D23 member services number, and sent a couple of e-mails. They have only responded with one e-mail that essentially copied and pasted their registration page and told me to carefully type in my information. I can't get anyone to look at it behind the scenes to fix it. I am beginning to be very disappointed. It has been a week, and I have been a big advocate for them and this event....

@prberk I'm not sure if you've tried the following, or if it will addresses your problem/will work, but have you tried to log in using the email associated with your Disney Store profile? D23 doesn't accept my Disney Store member name, but I can access the member page when I log in with my email address.

For troubleshooting purposes, when I try to log-in using my Disney Store member name, I get this error:
Our records aren't matching up with the information you entered. Please try again, or if you haven't registered for D23.com, please do so. Click Help to reset your password or get your D23.com email login.

Figments Friend

I am sure most 'Carousel of Progress' fans have seen 'Disneyland Goes To The World's Fair'.
If not, here is a clip you are sure to enjoy showing Uncle Walt taking us on a tour of one of the work rooms at WED, and then onto one of the studio sets where animation programming is taking place for the original Show.

A fascinating glimpse into it's creation, and the shots of the original models for the show scenes are quite interesting.
A explanation and walk through demonstration of the early WED Animatronic system, showing the early programming harness and computer playback systems is equally fascinating.

Segments of this same video play outside of the 'CoP' show building in the queue area at WDW on monitors where Guests waiting to enter are treated to this little peek 'behind the scenes'.

Here is the entire episode of 'Disneyland Goes To The World's Fair' covering all of the Pavilion Attractions the Disney organization was involved in creating.

Last edited:

prberk

Original Poster
@prberk I'm not sure if you've tried the following, or if it will addresses your problem/will work, but have you tried to log in using the email associated with your Disney Store profile? D23 doesn't accept my Disney Store member name, but I can access the member page when I log in with my email address.

For troubleshooting purposes, when I try to log-in using my Disney Store member name, I get this error:
Our records aren't matching up with the information you entered. Please try again, or if you haven't registered for D23.com, please do so. Click Help to reset your password or get your D23.com email login.

Yes, I did try that. In fact, I got my first D23 spam e-mail yesterday on that e-mail address; so they obviously have that e-mail address as my registered D23 e-mail address. Yet they still say it does not match my member number, using either the D23 member number that shows up under my profile page on disneystore.com or the member number that appeared as part of the "receipt" I printed at "purchase."

The saddest part, besides that I still cannot get on to see the live stream if it is not fixed by tomorrow, is that when I called them earlier in the week, I was really thinking about going ahead and paying the $75 to upgrade while they had me on the phone to fix it -- but no one has called me back or sent me a non-generic e-mail so that I could even tell them this. So, no fix, and likely no upsell opportunity it looks like... Sigh.

Here I am spending all week telling people about this event and encouraging them (on this world-wide popular Disney fan site) to sign up, and I can't even get them to pay attention long enough to fix it so that I can see it (or upgrade) myself. I really never expected this when I started this whole week ago.

I hope someone will report on the event, or that they will archive the video for those of us who tried to do what they suggested.

Sorry, but I am just very disappointed. Six months ago I thought I would be there, for sure. And when it turned out that I could not, I thought this was a great option. Now, I try to do it, and when I have legitimate problems and reach out to them, I hear crickets. So much for the march of progress... ;-)

prberk

Original Poster
On a more positive note, I do know of one amazing story that I heard a few years ago about the Carousel and its creators:

It appears that there was a lady whose husband had been the model for the father in the project, but he had passed away, and over time Disney became aware that his widow had never seen the completed show (or maybe it was that she had never seen it since the fair, but I think it was that she had never seen it period).

Anyhow, it seems that after Disney got wind of that, which was not too long ago, they flew her and her family to Florida to see the show, and she cried. His animatronic looked just like him, and it brought back a flood of memories. She was so grateful.

I remember this being in the news, and I was moved by that. I believe the news account said that he had been a GE employee, but I am not sure about that. I just know that he was in the right place at the right time back in 1964 or so when they were making it. And what a sweet thing for the company to do. I wish I could have been there when she saw the show. (I would think his voice might have been weird to hear, since it was from another person; but I am sure still interesting.)

prberk

Original Poster
Well, I have good news. They finally responded today with a personal e-mail that they had researched my problems and created a log-in for me -- and it works!! So, it looks like I will be able to watch the webcast this weekend! Glad for that.

Of course I really wish I could be arriving there in person right about now, but at least I will have the webcast. I wrote them back to thank them. Now on with the show, and since the show is tomorrow, it looks like...

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow!! (Sorry, had to.)

EpcotCenter82

I'm looking forward to watching this tomorrow. I'm a charter gold member and have not been able to attend any of the events but enjoy the magazines.

I received an e-mail today from D23 and the silver level membership was nixed as of today. Your only choices now are the gold membership, a new family gold membership, and the free membership. Nice notice for people who may have waned to renew their silver membership.

Figments Friend

Whelp, the Event begins tonight for those in town for the festivities.
Those who came to town early and attended the annual IAAPA Convention in Orlando were treated to a panel featuring Disney Legends discussing Walt's involvement with the World's Fair.

A article here about what went on :
http://www./2014/11/iaapa-14-disney...ssons-learned-from-1964-new-york-worlds-fair/

To ramp up some enthusiasm for those not able to be in Orlando for all of this ...and will be enjoying the Event 'virtually' from afar....let's share some more fabulous images from this important era that had a major impact in forwarding Theme Park presentations.

A few more photos related to the 'Carousel of Progress'....

A two page printed advert showcasing Uncle Walt and the model for the G.E. Pavilion, 'Progressland'.

Your typical promotional photo showing how the Pavilion looked as built for the Fair ...

...and now a not-so-typical snapshot showing the Pavilion looking a little worn.
'Progressland' is instead 'Ogres and Walt Disney!'
Talk about 'bad show' onstage....

Figments Friend

-
A live 'blogging' page has begun on the D23 Website covering the Destination D Event for those interested in keeping tabs on all the action happening.

Link -

https://d23.com/d23-com-live-blogging-destination-d-weekend-long/

Be sure view the short time-lapse video, as the first few minutes show some of the figure displays being set up at the Contemporary.
I am sure many will recognize some old missed friends from the past...particularly EPCOT Center.

prberk

Original Poster
I wonder what happened to the rest of the Progressland building when they moved the carousel out. And did they just move the sets, or the whole second floor?

And what exactly was on the first floor? Anyone have pictures? I only have scant knowledge of that the rest of the Progressland pavilion.

prberk

Original Poster
-
A live 'blogging' page has begun on the D23 Website covering the Destination D Event for those interested in keeping tabs on all the action happening.

Link -

https://d23.com/d23-com-live-blogging-destination-d-weekend-long/

Be sure view the short time-lapse video, as the first few minutes show some of the figure displays being set up at the Contemporary.
I am sure many will recognize some old missed friends from the past...particularly EPCOT Center.

Thanks. I really wanted to be there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom