Nanea Volcano feature pool at Disney's Polynesian Resort closing in August for extended refurb

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
What is with the dumbing down of Disney Pools?

I went when I was real real little and my parents stayed with me by the edge, in the quiet pool, holding onto me a bit, while I splashed. Once I was older, I had fun in the bigger pools. Is safety really a big deal?

In today's society, pools aren't the only things being "dumbed down". Many very important things are being brought in line with the lowest common denominator. With that being said, the thought being applied to everything is the protection from ourselves. I could elaborate but to stay within the context of the topic at hand, It's for guest safety because of risk aversion.

*1023*

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That volcano wasn't "iconic" it was an eye sore. The original pool with the smaller themed volcanic rocks and slide looked a lot better and didn't obstruct the view of the resort from bay lake. I'm happy it's being demo'd

I liked the volcano but the older pool WAS more appropriate to the setting, What I'm afraid of with TDO today is we will get a pool with theming suitable for an inner city parks and rec pool.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

I went when I was real real little and my parents stayed with me by the edge, in the quiet pool, holding onto me a bit, while I splashed. Once I was older, I had fun in the bigger pools. Is safety really a big deal?
Ah I see you don't realize that a lot of people today are idiots.

Next Big Thing

tbh, the Volcano slide was a bit obtrusive and it wasn't even original. The loss of the Volcano isn't that big of a deal imo. It's not like the slide is going away completely anyway. Actually, the pool area is being enhanced.

Jon81uk

A boy died in a pool at Pop Century whilst swimming when lifeguards weren't on duty, despite signs stating swimming was at own risk (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/13/us/florida-disney-death/). Unfortunately some accidents happen and also some parents mistakenly think that Disney is "safe" and they don't need to monitor their children. Expect to see more fenced in pools, so they can be locked off when no lifeguard is on duty, particularly the pools with slides etc.

FutureCEO

A boy died in a pool at Pop Century whilst swimming when lifeguards weren't on duty, despite signs stating swimming was at own risk (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/13/us/florida-disney-death/). Unfortunately some accidents happen and also some parents mistakenly think that Disney is "safe" and they don't need to monitor their children. Expect to see more fenced in pools, so they can be locked off when no lifeguard is on duty, particularly the pools with slides etc.

But it's not like that was Disney's fault. Sure, they want to provide safety for guests but if you can't help stupid.

Plus, as we know people walking cross lawns, there is always ways around fences.

Which if you know the Poly is going under the knife, why stay there? Granted for those who booked before, yes, a discount would be nice.

Polydweller

This makes me sad, they are really destroying everything that was good about poly.

totally dont get the whole new flames on the sign since they are cutting costs on everything else, yet they are burning tiki torches hardly anyone even notices 24/7
Nope, the volcano is a relatively new feature, early 2000's I think, so not really part of the history of the place. The lobby work on the fountain was required because of numerous issues with it and effects on the building. People do notice the torches. They are a bit of ambiance you notice even if you aren't fully aware of it.
tbh, the Volcano slide was a bit obtrusive and it wasn't even original. The loss of the Volcano isn't that big of a deal imo. It's not like the slide is going away completely anyway. Actually, the pool area is being enhanced.
Agree with this. The whole area will be greatly improved with much more deck area and from the drawings I've seen even more shade areas. As you say, the slide is not going away.

There are bigger problems that are ruining the ambiance of the place starting with the bungalows that get uglier the longer you look at them. As well there is s gigantic pump house on the southeast side of sunset point and the smaller but very visible electrical bunker on the north end.

Jon81uk

But it's not like that was Disney's fault. Sure, they want to provide safety for guests but if you can't help stupid.

The trouble is that lawyers encourage the stupid people to sue companies meaning everything now has to comply to the lowest, stupidist person.[/QUOTE]

Next Big Thing

Agree with this. The whole area will be greatly improved with much more deck area and from the drawings I've seen even more shade areas. As you say, the slide is not going away.

There are bigger problems that are ruining the ambiance of the place starting with the bungalows that get uglier the longer you look at them. As well there is s gigantic pump house on the southeast side of sunset point and the smaller but very visible electrical bunker on the north end.
Agree with most of this. The electrical house may get themed though, so hopefully it will end up fitting in more (although it will still be obtrusive).

Polydweller

Agree with most of this. The electrical house may get themed though, so hopefully it will end up fitting in more (although it will still be obtrusive).
Yes it will and like others around the property it will get a bit hidden but it's a very large rectangle with a white railing and walkway on the front. It was expanded during our stay the past 7 days and getting harder to make unobtrusive.

Siren

The Poly was my home resort, this year was the first time we ever stayed off site. I will miss the volcano so much, so sad to see this go. Whenever we would take the boat back from MK -- the volcano looked so beautiful right off the beach with all the tiki torches lit. And, I will also miss the water feature in the lobby, that's just too bad. I hope Disney at least keeps the water elements in the front, I always like to take a picture in front of the water before entering the lobby. I wonder what's going to happen to the Hawaii building too, I hope Disney doesn't cannibalize it for DVC -- they way they did Animal Kingdom Lodge concierge. The new sign is pretty though.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Certainly hope the replacement for the volcano is as special or better than what they are ripping out, unlike the water fall in the lobby being replaced by a puny fountain. Already butchered most of the beautiful beach, this resort cannot afford to lessen the experience too many more times.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Certainly hope the replacement for the volcano is as special or better than what they are ripping out, unlike the water fall in the lobby being replaced by a puny fountain. Already butchered most of the beautiful beach, this resort cannot afford to lessen the experience too many more times.

Don't worry they will, I suspect the pool will be inferior to the average Howard Johnsons pool

Polydweller

The beach has not been butchered. It's all still there and will be completely reopened after the refurb. Only the most eastern portion won't be prime fireworks viewing, but over 24 years, people didn't use that very much. The highly used area will be back.

As for the lobby, they had little choice on that. There were significant problems that were causing issues with the building. And I can say after bring there last week the experience isn't bring lessened, changed yes but not lessened.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I guess you are being sarcastic but please, the lame jokes on this board don't enhance the discussion. From the drawings I've seen it will actually be greatly enhanced and better for most people than the current pool.

I'd really like to believe that but based on the recent Defurbishments at GF and WL I'm expecting a product on the order of a Hilton Garden Inn but without the deluxe touches most of them have.

Being a Diamond member at hilton I am pretty familiar with hotels and Disney's latest efforts fail to impress at any level besides disgust and disappointment relative what Disney hotels USED to be.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The beach has not been butchered. It's all still there and will be completely reopened after the refurb. Only the most eastern portion won't be prime fireworks viewing, but over 24 years, people didn't use that very much. The highly used area will be back.

As for the lobby, they had little choice on that. There were significant problems that were causing issues with the building. And I can say after bring there last week the experience isn't bring lessened, changed yes but not lessened.

Translation since Iger took over TDO was too cheap to maintain the lobby, Odd how most embassy suites have a far larger water feature and rates 1/3 of The Poly. - guess those are all non profits

Bairstow

Yes.

http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/...40-Million-Settlement?slreturn=20140925122312
http://www.corboydemetrio.com/news-441.html
http://articles.philly.com/1995-06-27/news/25689572_1_shanin-specter-brain-damage-accident

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom