Nanea Volcano feature pool at Disney's Polynesian Resort closing in August for extended refurb

Clamman73

They need to get that wave machine working again to agitate the water, and create that waves crashing on the beach sound that people in the bungalows can fall asleep to. ;)

Spike-in-Berlin

It seems like years ago they did something to keep the water clean...they used to talk about it on the monorail spiel...back in the early 70s....when people used to swim in the lake... and I remember it was clear...not blue water, but a lot cleaner than it is now.

I never understood this tree-hugger mentality in case of the Seven Seas Lagoon, it's not a natural water body for god's sake, it is an artificial lake, a giant pool that was excavated for the landscaping of WDW. And IMHO they could just about anything chemical to keep it clean and clear, I don't care about wildlife in this special case, it could be biologically dead as long as it is clear and clean and you can swim in it and finally use the beaches of the Poly again for what they were once created, for swimming.

Bocabear

I never understood this tree-hugger mentality in case of the Seven Seas Lagoon, it's not a natural water body for god's sake, it is an artificial lake, a giant pool that was excavated for the landscaping of WDW. And IMHO they could just about anything chemical to keep it clean and clear, I don't care about wildlife in this special case, it could be biologically dead as long as it is clear and clean and you can swim in it and finally use the beaches of the Poly again for what they were once created, for swimming.
well....Half of the lake (Bay Lake) was a natural existing lake...the other half (7 Seas Lagoon) was completely man made for the resort...but yes, seems like once it was clean, now it is not, and there must be some way of making it clean again, or at least clean enough to use...

radiohost

$4,000 for a standard room doesn't sound anywhere near correct. I've seen rooms going for just over $200 on 3rd party websites.
The first part of August it was showing $4000 for the first week of September without any park tickets added, my wife and I were in shock. We were checking bc we thought maybe since the construction was so heavy that thy would cut the price to fill rooms. We ended up changing from Pop to Riverside.

Last week halfway through the trip we stopped by Polynesian too see the construction. Bar none, the entire resort is walled off. We couldn't even walk from TTC to Poly because the path was closed due to construction. We checked at the front deskto see what it would cost to move from riverside to poly, and they were still charging full rate, at $300 a night! This was a week ago today. We stayed at Riverside :)

NYwdwfan

The first part of August it was showing $4000 for the first week of September without any park tickets added, my wife and I were in shock. We were checking bc we thought maybe since the construction was so heavy that thy would cut the price to fill rooms. We ended up changing from Pop to Riverside.

Last week halfway through the trip we stopped by Polynesian too see the construction. Bar none, the entire resort is walled off. We couldn't even walk from TTC to Poly because the path was closed due to construction. We checked at the front deskto see what it would cost to move from riverside to poly, and they were still charging full rate, at $300 a night! This was a week ago today. We stayed at Riverside :)

$300/night is not full rate at Poly.

alissafalco

Felt like it...No offense, but folks are nuts to stay here right now.

Some friends of ours who work at WDW mentioned that the folks who complain are being relocated to the garden wings of the contemporary.

I really don't know what they are thinking. I could understand if it was a deeply discounted room, but to pay a little over $300 a night (the cheapest I've seen it discounted) to stay in a construction zone is beyond me.

Last edited:

Figment2005

Just so you know, the path has just been rerouted.

Rinx

How long ago was the last refurb? I know it wasn't TOO recent but it still seems like they just built that volcano slide.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Cant wait for the new themed pool, Theme will probably be straight out of 1970's Howard Johnsons but no 'deep' end as in NO theming. On balance it will be cheap to maintain...

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
well....Half of the lake (Bay Lake) was a natural existing lake...the other half (7 Seas Lagoon) was completely man made for the resort...but yes, seems like once it was clean, now it is not, and there must be some way of making it clean again, or at least clean enough to use...

I forgot about this thread.... Glad I scrolled up to read this post... I may have posted similar info before but I thought it worth mentioning again.

The cause for concern in the lakes of the area is a dangerous little protozoa called Naegleria (naegleria fowleri specifically). This little likes warm fresh water and is usually found near shorelines where it is warmest. Now the issue is when this little guy finds a way into your nose it can penetrate into your brain causing a deadly infection. It is almost always fatal.

There is no practical way to insure that this specific amoeba isn't present in the water. It would be impractical to treat such a large and constantly fed body of water. While it is unlikely that it is present when the water is cold, it really never is cold enough. Every time I see parents letting there kids play on the beach at any of the resorts lakes, I cringe. The water may be perfectly safe right now but I think it wise to err on the cautious side.

This is one of the reasons I found it odd to build over water sheds in the first place. As I think someone mentioned here long ago, if they wanted guest to have that type of experience they missed the boat.(so to speak). In order to have the south pacific feel, you would want to be able to jump right in the water. The only way to have that work would have been to construct a chlorinated pool under the huts and keep the lagoon water separate from the clean water.

Clean is a relative term. The water is clean now. It is just risky to swim in.This body of water is connected to nearly every other body of standing water in the entire resort area. The whole area is a management district for water made up of levies, canals, lakes and pumps. You can see fish, birds, and other wildlife using the lake and other waterways normally. Unfortunately, we are ore informed now than in the past and are more focused on risk aversion. The issue comes down to Disney not wanting to risk this very rare thing from occurring.

This very boring and possibly a rehash of another post has been brought to you by:

*1023*

tman2000

What is with the dumbing down of Disney Pools?

I went when I was real real little and my parents stayed with me by the edge, in the quiet pool, holding onto me a bit, while I splashed. Once I was older, I had fun in the bigger pools. Is safety really a big deal?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom