Peter Pan Queue

Kman101

I will be absolutely shocked if they build an actual 5th park in the next 10, or even 20 years. The costs involved with a new park (all the infrastructure, parking, support areas) are insurmountable compared to the relatively low costs of adding to existing parks.

And personally, I'd rather see EC, DHS and DAK all receive major investments, making each of them a 1.5 day park. Disney owes its guests fuller experiences at its existing properties first, before it owes any new choices, which will just further water down the vacation as a whole.

100% agreed. This is exactly why I shake my head when 'fans' demand a 5th gate. Really? WHY? I know it SOUNDS good, but it would cause a lot more problems and the other parks can be filled out for years to come.

Kman101

that would require them to care about the ride. Seriously I am astounded that a tin foil volcano is actually a thing there.

Having ridden Peter Pan this year for the first time in probably 5 years (seriously!), thanks to, ironically, FP+, the ride is in TERRIBLE condition. It is REALLY dark inside, which probably means it looks even worse. The ships sound like they're about to fall off the track, and the ride track makes me feel like I'm about to stop any second on that ride, or fall out. It's NOT in good shape and that's sad. I'd love to see upgrades, and am looking forward to what Disneyland does with PP. We could really use a huge refresh on Pan here but it seems like it's never going to happen. Really sad how bad the ride is. I was a little embarassed over it, to be honest.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
+1 for a better themed outside....Winnie the pooh looks great as is most of new fantasy-land and than some older facades left over like peter pans look...so fake....cartoony....70s....

What to do with It's a Small World's entrance though...?

matt9112

What to do with It's a Small World's entrance though...?

you could pull the new fantasy land treatment on the general facade....add some half height divider walls (themed) past the first switchback or so to block the view down into the water ect..maybe even enclose the first section of the que with facade (before it goes down ramp and across bridge...whats in the ride itself is fine...theres no changing that...(really) but just to keep it out of the "eye" of the courtyard and to blend it in much better...granted this would cost money and bring no additional revenue nor capacity or corny commercial spots....so it wont happen but thats my two cents.

edit (thatch faux (awning)

Mouse_Trap

100% agreed. This is exactly why I shake my head when 'fans' demand a 5th gate. Really? WHY? I know it SOUNDS good, but it would cause a lot more problems and the other parks can be filled out for years to come.

The only reason I can see a need for a 5th gate is for Star Wars i.e. to keep it out of the existing parks (as it should be) - the Flamingo Crossing rumours for 5th gate potential would be perfect for Star Wars as its about as far away as you can get from the 'rest of the world'. Other than that, yes there is huge potential for future development in the existing parks (even MK if they are ambitious enough).

However, I do wonder which option attracts the most people; and what drives out the most spending.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The only reason I can see a need for a 5th gate is for Star Wars i.e. to keep it out of the existing parks (as it should be) - the Flamingo Crossing rumours for 5th gate potential would be perfect for Star Wars as its about as far away as you can get from the 'rest of the world'. Other than that, yes there is huge potential for future development in the existing parks (even MK if they are ambitious enough).

However, I do wonder which option attracts the most people; and what drives out the most spending.

But those "rumors" are just armchair imagineering.

MerlinTheGoat

Small World requires a bit of creative thinking. I'm convinced that simply attempting to 100% replicate Disneyland style facade just won't work. It would clash against the theme too much as well as being an eyesore. The traditional facade needs its own dedicated area to appreciate properly, something that just won't work with the close proximity to Pan. They already tried to replicate the facade inside the queue, which i've come to realize doesn't look right either (I now miss the original queue).

So I think it's time to branch out from the comfort zone and try something more different and creative to work in this space. I've proposed in the past some sort of European glockenspiel type of clock tower facade, something charming and ornate perhaps like this one from Munich-
b6a1851521adb70a8981933c104004da.jpg

Last edited:

Mike S

Small World requires a bit of creative thinking. I'm convinced that simply attempting to 100% replicate Disneyland style facade just won't work. It would clash against the theme too much as well as being an eyesore. The traditional facade needs its own dedicated area to appreciate properly, something that just won't work with the close proximity to Pan. They already tried to replicate the facade inside the queue, which i've come to realize doesn't look right either (I now miss the original queue).

So I think it's time to branch out from the comfort zone and try something more different and creative to work in this space. I've proposed in the past some sort of European glockenspiel type of clock tower facade, something charming and ornate perhaps like this one from Munich-
b6a1851521adb70a8981933c104004da.jpg
I had to look it up to see what the original queue looked like because I had completely forgotten. The fountains look cool.
image.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

Definitely miss the fountains, color changing if I recall correctly. Loved to sit at Village Haus and watch the queue as a kid (it became tradition for boat passengers and people eating above to wave at one another as they passed by). It was never really the inside that was the problem with Small World in the first place (it actually looked kind of nice in its own way and was colorful), it was the outside that always needed help. This has never been addressed, and all they really managed to do is make a bigger mess out of its problems by trying to cram in Disneyland's facade in a form it was never designed for.

Scuttle

Having ridden Peter Pan this year for the first time in probably 5 years (seriously!), thanks to, ironically, FP+, the ride is in TERRIBLE condition. It is REALLY dark inside, which probably means it looks even worse. The ships sound like they're about to fall off the track, and the ride track makes me feel like I'm about to stop any second on that ride, or fall out. It's NOT in good shape and that's sad. I'd love to see upgrades, and am looking forward to what Disneyland does with PP. We could really use a huge refresh on Pan here but it seems like it's never going to happen. Really sad how bad the ride is. I was a little embarassed over it, to be honest.
It looks bad and is I agree, but there are bigger fish to fry at MK. Small World is in a way worse state among others.

Sped2424

There is no reason for them to change the attraction when it works perfectly fine. Its not going to change people's experience because there is tin foil in it.
Okay but when Disneyland's version finishes their 3 month refurb and kicks the "Nostalgic" charm of our ride all the way out the door all I am going to say is told ya so. The ride isn't perfect, the tin foil is embarrassing, as are half of the effects in the ride. It's time for an update. WHy opt for the same when we know they can plus the hell out of the experience?

MerlinTheGoat

WDW's Peter Pan is indeed going to look even MORE dated compared to Disneyland's. It was already outdated compared to DL and DLP (I rode DLP's as a kid and was rather shocked at how much better it was). Really needs an update. I'd also be happy if they increased capacity while they were at it (like implementing Paris' two-row vehicles, though i'm not so sure how the larger guests visiting WDW would affect this system).

I never have seen fountains! I demand answers.
I believe this original queue area with the fountains was removed back in 2005 during a refurbishment of the ride. At that point they tried to cram the Disneyland facade inside the queue area and I'm guessing the fountains were removed to make way. It's a shame because while the Disneyland facade looks very nice at Disneyland, it again does not work within WDW's set up in the way Small World was designed there. The original queue worked better for the way WDW's was designed (the facade was what needed work, not so much the inside queue which actually had a lot of nice color and the fountains).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom