Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

No truth behind this just a crazy idea of mine that will probably never happen but still...since they are closing backlot they should build a bigger, better Streets Of America for SODL in its place and build it for a better traffic flow and add even more lights then viola tons of space for Star Wars Land without getting rid of Indy. Brilliant idea that will sadly never happen

Cmdr_Crimson

See now, if they announced this being closed as well.....Which for me will be a happy sight..
LightsMotorsAction1.jpg

THEN! We know that some Friggn big is coming!

Come on...Come on..Make it Happen!
Aladdin-Rubbing-Genie-S-Lamp-85278.gif

Tom

Beta Return
If the rumor that they are going to fill in Echo lake is true they really could do both at the same time. Basically with the echo lake area there are no attractions affected. They could easily gain access to the area by the gate next to the left of 50s prime time and provided they keep ABC commissary Lane open they could wall everything off from the American idol bathrooms to the Shed looking bathrooms across from back lot express without eliminating any attractions. Basically what I'm getting at is while the likelihood of the simulations construction projects is unlikely it is completely possible. Also keep in mind that star wars is rumored to be a multi stage project and BLX has been rumored to being converted into the Cantina so they could very well just start with that while the BLT area is also being rebuilt into whatever that becomes.

Filling in Echo Lake poses much larger obstacles than anything else, since it's part of the master drainage plan. If they do (which I doubt), we'll see it show up on the SFWMD site pretty early.

Ignohippo

Filling in Echo Lake poses much larger obstacles than anything else, since it's part of the master drainage plan. If they do (which I doubt), we'll see it show up on the SFWMD site pretty early.

^ This. Echo Lake is a drainage pond. It isn't going anywhere unless MAJOR infrastructure work (and many new ponds are created in the same approximate area).

PhotoDave219

See now, if they announced this being closed as well.....Which for me will be a happy sight..
LightsMotorsAction1.jpg

THEN! We know that some Friggn big is coming!

Come on...Come on..Make it Happen!
Aladdin-Rubbing-Genie-S-Lamp-85278.gif

First… You don't need a genie, you just need Tom Staggs.

Second, based on the history of the rumors of the closing of this attraction with in the past 18 months… And if you use the search feature you can verify it but I know you've been around these parts for a very long time, so you are well aware of all the rumors of LMA's demise.... So I suggest you just be patient and see what happens.

roj2323

The lake is not tied into the drainage. Other than an overflow drain. The lake actually sits about 12 inches higher than most of the drain in the park.

roj2323

doctornick

First… You don't need a genie, you just need Tom Staggs.

Second, based on the history of the rumors of the closing of this attraction with in the past 18 months… And if you use the search feature you can verify it but I know you've been around these parts for a very long time, so you are well aware of all the rumors of LMA's demise.... So I suggest you just be patient and see what happens.

The problem IMHO with closing LMA as well is that you reach a tipping point of there "not being enough to do" in the park -- especially if AIE sits unused. Disney has to balance whatever development they do with continuing to have a functional park. We all already see the complaints of DHS being "a half day park" and closing a bunch of attractions to re-purpose the land exacerbates that.

IMHO, while I'd love to see the BLT and LMA footprints combined into a massive single well themed land, from a practical standpoint it makes sense to allow LMA to continue to run while (hopefully quickly) putting in some attractions in the BLT space. (Of course, it would make sense to put in a new different ride in Soundstage 1 and to have done so years ago, but instead it seems we are getting just a TSMM expansion there.) They can put some Pixar attractions in the BLT space very easily and then later close off LMA for a phase 2 expansion of Pixar properties once the LMA space stuff is up and running and the park can handle the capacity loss of LMA.

flyerjab

As far as expansion in this park is concerned, I am waiting to see if the TSMM ride expansion actually starts to happen come October. To me, this would become a necessity if they are phasing out other rides in the area. If this doesn't show signs of happening on October, then this area could sit for some time. At the pace that WDW builds attractions, they are obviously never in any real rush.

I have noticed posters casting lines out to our trusty insiders to see if any of this massive park expansion is actually happening. I know that at one point, @Lee simply replied "they are", or something along those lines regarding building new attractions. It might have been in one of the other threads.

I only believe that this is happening, only if for no other reason that Spirit, Lee, Jim Hill (I know) and others have spoken of this now. I just think that at WDW's glacial pace, it is going to take time. Also, I don't see a massive construction project at DHS starting up in earnest along with everything going on in DAK, DS, the hub at MK, Poly and where ever else.

Looking at WDW as one massive resort complex, I think this will fall in line as follows:

1. FL expansion
2. DS total overhaul
3. DVC, MM+, hub at MK
4. DAK and EPCOT Frozen
5. DHS

As far as EPCOT goes, I am not entirely certain what the future plan is for this park. It seems that as far as WS is concerned, I don't see them adding any new countries. TDO seems content to use this as the festival area for the WDW resort. Maybe the plan on piecemealing rides in here or there (i.e., Frozen). FW though, aside from the possible Soarin' expansion and plussing, is the one area that I throw my hands up in the air. I simply don't have any opinion right now as to what they are doing other than repainting it. Maybe the attendance figures keep them from really doing any major refurbishments to this park.

This will then have most of the parks, DVC expansion/transformation and DS projects finished by 2021 - 50 year anniversary for WDW. Add in new FoF parade, new fireworks for MK (thank you Pandora jewelry) and maybe EPCOT (Steve Davison?) as well as 1000 more up charge events. To me 2021 is the finish line of a long marathon for TDO. The problem is we wish it would only be a hard run 5K instead.

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

Not necessarily. As a local, I go to the parks fairly often and can go to Magic Kingdom or Epcot and just walk around and be happy because not only are there things to do (Epcot obviously not as much attraction wise as MK), but there's a lot going on around you in terms of entertainment. DHS is a very bland park to me. I actually do like the park, don't get me wrong, I just wish it were treated better.

My point being, I can go to MK, ride the Peoplemover and see Carousel of Progress and be happy with my day. There aren't any side attractions like those at DHS to let you take a break from the rush of TSMM, ToT and RnRC. I think that is my larger point i'm trying to get to.

I am so jealous of you. As a MD resident, I long for the day when I can be a local and be able to pop over and experience the people mover or grab a bite at EPCOT....That is the dream =)

WeLComeHomE OKW

No way Indy goes away until a part of Star Wars land is up and running.

This is tricky for them, because of crowd control. I can see Pixar Place expansion and Star Wars land opening up in parts.

Pixar Place expansion stage 1 will open and then LMA will go down for unknown experience/attraction.

Once completed, Star Wars land will begin construction.

Star Wars land stage 1 opens. Indy closes down, then transitions to finish Star Wars land/take over that area.

My guess? demolition starts later this year, Pixar Place expansion stage 1 opens 2016. Star Wars land is finished and completed by 2020.

As for my guess on announcements, I'm thinking they'll announce one major attraction this year for Pixar Place. But, they'll wait for D23 to announce the larger project (or really whenever it's strategically advantageous, but, I doubt it happens this year)

PhotoDave219

The problem IMHO with closing LMA as well is that you reach a tipping point of there "not being enough to do" in the park -- especially if AIE sits unused. Disney has to balance whatever development they do with continuing to have a functional park. We all already see the complaints of DHS being "a half day park" and closing a bunch of attractions to re-purpose the land exacerbates that.

IMHO, while I'd love to see the BLT and LMA footprints combined into a massive single well themed land, from a practical standpoint it makes sense to allow LMA to continue to run while (hopefully quickly) putting in some attractions in the BLT space. (Of course, it would make sense to put in a new different ride in Soundstage 1 and to have done so years ago, but instead it seems we are getting just a TSMM expansion there.) They can put some Pixar attractions in the BLT space very easily and then later close off LMA for a phase 2 expansion of Pixar properties once the LMA space stuff is up and running and the park can handle the capacity loss of LMA.

AIE Should not sit unused.

I'm sure what ever is being worked on, we will know more about when LMA moves on to yesterland

WeLComeHomE OKW

AIE Should not sit unused.

I'm sure what ever is being worked on, we will know more about when LMA moves on to yesterland

I could see Star Wars land starting there. Although, it's possible that another temporary show will move there while everything begins to play out (if they indeed need to close LMA)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom