Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

D.Silentu

Although not ideal and not as ambitious as whatever they were going for with Avengers, I have no doubt what you just described would be more fun and repeatable. It would probably be starring all the Avengers though.
I'd love another roller coaster, but I worry that on the story side of things such a ride would be in danger of turning out like Revenge Of The Mummy's strobe images on parade. I'd need far more convincing before I'd feel good about a coaster and on that note I'm really curious to see what Cosmic Rewind has to offer.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

Okay this just made me so sad. We really could have had the Sanctum Sanctorum here, which would have been so darned perfect. (I'm fine with not going with younger-skewing Spidey for a scary thrill ride - I'm happy they went for a most-ages ride for him that more people can go on instead.)

I just have to remind myself that having it be Guardians-themed gave us the Awesome Dance-Off which is my fave show in the park, not to mention allowing for a great soundtrack in that area. But man, even if I couldn't have gone on the ride, I'd've loved to have had spooky old Tower become the spooky old Sanctum. It could've been beautiful...

Disney Analyst

Okay this just made me so sad. We really could have had the Sanctum Sanctorum here, which would have been so darned perfect. (I'm fine with not going with younger-skewing Spidey for a scary thrill ride - I'm happy they went for a most-ages ride for him that more people can go on instead.)

I just have to remind myself that having it be Guardians-themed gave us the Awesome Dance-Off which is my fave show in the park, not to mention allowing for a great soundtrack in that area. But man, even if I couldn't have gone on the ride, I'd've loved to have had spooky old Tower become the spooky old Sanctum. It could've been beautiful...
I do find it interesting, how imagineers sort of need to find ways to justify or understand a project away from judgement.

It kind of makes me think back to my acting training. When you play someone villainous or evil, you have to find ways to justify and make human to yourself. You can’t judge them or play the character with judgement inside you, as then it will never become authentic and real.

I think some of those same practices have to be employed by people like Joe when given a task like this.

Animaniac93-98

I feel like they went with Guardians because they knew the second movie and the ride could open at the same time.

Although Spider-Man: Homecoming was also released that same year.

thequeuelinelectures

I wish that was used for a Mandalorian speederbike coaster. Or maybe a rocket pack one like what just opened at Phantasialand.

This tech was developed for Disney. It's what is used for the spinning on Cosmic Rewind. I think any kind of flying coaster will always be too extreme for Disney's taste sadly

Ismael Flores

I wish that was used for a Mandalorian speederbike coaster. Or maybe a rocket pack one like what just opened at Phantasialand.

wow, now that is great work in land management and theming for a coaster that does not require a huge building that gets painted go away blue. This is the kind of projects that WDI needs to consider when working on expansions for places like DCA that have minimal land availability. one of my biggest complains with the latest additions to Disney parks is that there is no layering when designing the new additions. Seems like the new generation of WDI came from the roller-tycoon learning school. Their designs seem to look as if they build something to fit a box then plop it unto a piece of available property and add dressing to cover up the box, then move on to the next one and plop another one next to it.

You would think they would see how older WDI groups were able to add multiple attractions within the same piece of property. Fantasyland is a great example of that. Older designs like Splash, Matterhorn Submarines, Space mountain, circlevision and IASW all were designed to fit within a footprint that layered with existing attractions or additional attractions.

How cool would it have been to get an area like the one in the video that integrated the marvel characters. kinetic energy that surrounded the area from the bottom to top. Instead they went for entertainment to fill those areas but the problem is that entertainment is the first to be removed and in the long run is most likely more costly for the resort to maintain.

mickEblu

wow, now that is great work in land management and theming for a coaster that does not require a huge building that gets painted go away blue. This is the kind of projects that WDI needs to consider when working on expansions for places like DCA that have minimal land availability. one of my biggest complains with the latest additions to Disney parks is that there is no layering when designing the new additions. Seems like the new generation of WDI came from the roller-tycoon learning school. Their designs seem to look as if they build something to fit a box then plop it unto a piece of available property and add dressing to cover up the box, then move on to the next one and plop another one next to it.

You would think they would see how older WDI groups were able to add multiple attractions within the same piece of property. Fantasyland is a great example of that. Older designs like Splash, Matterhorn Submarines, Space mountain, circlevision and IASW all were designed to fit within a footprint that layered with existing attractions or additional attractions.

How cool would it have been to get an area like the one in the video that integrated the marvel characters. kinetic energy that surrounded the area from the bottom to top. Instead they went for entertainment to fill those areas but the problem is that entertainment is the first to be removed and in the long run is most likely more costly for the resort to maintain.

Definitely agree. Also looks like those building facades around the coaster limit visibility from the rest of the park? If there is a rest of the park.

thequeuelinelectures

Definitely agree. Also looks like those building facades around the coaster limit visibility from the rest of the park? If there is a rest of the park.
There is a whole park and it's truly spectacular. It's so small, but they do a fantastic job creating small little envelop worlds that completely surround their attractions. VelociCoaster is heavily inspired by Taron also at Phantasiland and if you haven't seen it I highly recommend checking it out (or watching my video on it but I'm here for fun not plugging). Black Mamba, Chiapas, and River Quest are some other highly themed rides there that are really immersive even when being physically super compact.

999th Happy Haunt

I'm not often on the Disneyland side of the forums so I apologize for being out of the loop, but after riding Spider-Man at Universal a few days ago I have to ask, will Spidey at DCA be better than the ride at IOA? Everything I know about it makes it seem pretty underwhelming, which seems like a huge flop for Disney if they can't top a 20+ year old ride from their biggest competitor.

lazyboy97o

I'm not often on the Disneyland side of the forums so I apologize for being out of the loop, but after riding Spider-Man at Universal a few days ago I have to ask, will Spidey at DCA be better than the ride at IOA? Everything I know about it makes it seem pretty underwhelming, which seems like a huge flop for Disney if they can't top a 20+ year old ride from their biggest competitor.
How much do you like Toy Story Midway Mania!?

BrianLo

Original Poster

The short answer is almost definitely it will be 'worse' than IOA.

However it is also meant to be the tertiary attraction of the land, not the headliner.

However however - modern Disney loves these slow rollouts and it puts undue pressure on the tertiary attraction to launch the actual land.

Giss Neric

Well, at least this ride has Tom Holland himself. Let's just be happy that something new is coming somehow with all the delays and stuff.

I'm not expecting this to be an E-ticket and I'm sure the ride has been out in the open since D23 2019 so I don't know why you're still asking how the ride will be when you already concluded that it will be underwhelming by saying that whether it will beat a 20-year old ride and stuff so you're already throwing shade.

Disney Analyst

I do not believe this ride has been designed in any way to compete with the OG Spider-Man Ride.

999th Happy Haunt

I do not believe this ride has been designed in any way to compete with the OG Spider-Man Ride.
In my opinion, that's a total mistake by Disney. Anyone that knows theme parks will compare this to the IoA Spidey ride, and it's really not gonna look great when everyone is talking about how Universal's Spider-Man is much better. If they really wanted to do this type of ride, they should have picked a different Marvel property to theme it to.

Maybe it won't be a big deal since this is on the west coast. If it somehow got built in Florida it would be very poorly received.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom