Tropical Hideaway Construction - Tiki Room Refurbishment - Adventureland Entry Remodel

Disney Analyst

They need to move those giant instagram food pictures ASAP. Isn’t Adventureland supposed to be set in the 1930’s somewhere?

There has always been well themed modern touches added to Disneyland.. cash registers, payment devices... and not well themed (photo pass on Main Street with modern cameras) this screen is themed, and easily missed. Not a big deal.

mickEblu

There has always been well themed modern touches added to Disneyland.. cash registers, payment devices... and not well themed (photo pass on Main Street with modern cameras) this screen is themed, and easily missed. Not a big deal.

Of course their have been. These feel a little more modern and a little more in your face though. Not to mention they don’t jive with the current feel of the land.

TP2000

Original Poster
Yes, there was an accent if I recall correct. It was only long enough to hear a few words as the boat went by.

Her name isn't Jen and she isn't from Mission Viejo.

Her name is Rosita and she flew away from the Enchanted Tiki Room, where every bird has a distinctly stereotypical accent. Ach-tung! from the German bird, Oui-oui from the French bird, Cheerio! from the English bird, etc. And Jose the Mexican bird has the thickest accent of them all.

The college kids today call that "Cultural Appropriation" I think, and apparently it's now considered a bad thing. There's no way in heck that the Tiki Room could ever be built today with those characters and accents. It's lucky it still exists, quite frankly.

If Rosita doesn't have a Mexican accent, she will make no sense within the Tropical Hideaway story.

EDIT: I just saw a video of Rosita. Apparently they actually got a white girl named Jen from Mission Viejo to pretend to be Mexican to record the jokes. Yikes. :oops:

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Okay, now Rosita is just confusing me...

Why would she have a gentleman's straw hat and walking cane with her? Did she steal that hat from Jose? Does she do a stage show where she dresses up as a man as part of her act? Or is she Transgender and currently transitioning female-to-male and that's why she had to leave the Birdmobile? o_O

Adventureland-Disneyland-The-Tropical-Hideaway-dole-whip-and-rosita.jpg

BrianLo

Attractions
Dr. A. Falls - Mbei River 1903 - Albert (Jungle Cruise/Skipper Cantina)
B.T. Bullion - Colorado River 1870 - Barnabus (MK Big Thunder) aka Tony Baxter
J. Chandler - Elaho River 1882 - Jason (Big Thunder) - comic book appearance/former SEA president
H. Mystic - Ganges River 1874 - Henry (Mystic Manor protagonist)
H. Hightower - Yangtze River 1872 - Harrison (TDS Tower of Terror) aka Joe Rohde
M. Oceaneer - Orinoco River 1899 - Mary (DCL, Mystic Manor and the Raft Ride at Typhoon Lagoon) aka Mary Blaire

Clear Proprietors
Chef Tandaji - Irrawady River 1913 - Single menu item at Skippers Canteen... given the 'chef' I'd just assume he's really going to be nothing more than the Skippers Canteen's 'guy'.
M.A. Pleasure - Kissimmee River 1900 - Merriweather Adam - Pleasure Island/Adventurers Club proprietor. I think the initials are also a shout out to the existence of pleasure island in Massachusetts and Kissimmee being Florida.

Hints?
Prof R. Blaurhimmel - Ucayali River 1904 - Blair Himmell, Aviator portrait appears in Mystic Manor - I previously suspected that he'll have a tie into Tokyo's Soaring Fantastic Flights
Dr. J.L. Baterista - Congo River 1906 - Explorer portrait features in Mystic Manor - no attraction
S. Shio - Amazon River 1910 - Sango, appears on the skipper canteen menu/listed on a Fez in the Skipper Canteen. A Japanese fansite mentions something about a coral show. I don't really know where this person fits.

New
C. Falco - Zambezi River 1831 - No association. River being that of Angel's Falls in Africa. Possible Blue Sky Animal Kingdom concept? We know the Shanghai boat tech was being bandied about.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Why would she have a gentleman's straw hat and walking cane with her? Did she steal that hat from Jose? Does she do a stage show where she dresses up as a man as part of her act? Or is she Transgender and currently transitioning female-to-male and that's why she had to leave the Birdmobile? o_O

She's the Victor/Victoria of the bird world.

Figments Friend

Wow ....TP, I'm surprised at you.

You are the leading authority on Disneyland history and you missed the reference regarding the straw hat and bamboo cane?

It's okay, I'll cover for you.
;)

It's the ol' Barker Bird's gear.
Yep, a lil' tribute to that iconic AA from the Tiki Rooms' early days.

I don't have a photo handy, but it's definitely recreations of his hat and cane.
:)

-

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s just a nod to the Barker Bird. Hat and cane aren’t that gendered to begin with... y’all just reaching because it’s new.

It’s a joke son, nothing to get bent out of shape over. I figured the Julie Andrews movie reference would have indicated it was a joke. Guess that was too highbrow for you.

I actually have no issue with it at all.

mickEblu

To me, this place looks like a generic version of Adventureland. Like someone tried to copy Adventureland's design but just missed the mark.

I dunno. Something about how Disney designs their signs, menus, and decor now just doesn't seem as good as it used too.

Yeah, the current projects I ve seen rolled out at DLR are lacking a certain level of class that the old imagineers were able to accomplish. Not sure if it’s the constraints that are being placed, the quality of the imagineers or both. With that said, I think it looks good but not great. It loses points for the lack of trees/ greenery, some of the signage and giant instagram food pictures. I’ll reserve final judgment for when I see it in person.

Of course, some of this could be because it’s shiny new and we like for things at DL to look weathered and like they’ve always been there. I just feel like there are some odd design choices of late.

EDIT: just watched a walk though on YouTube. I think I take back what I said about the lack of greenery... at least from the perspective of someone sitting at the Tropical Hideaway as you have the jungle cruise canopy and some other surrounding trees. I think it just looks too open from the Adventureland walkway. Overall, they did a nice job and the workmanship is there. Just some odd design choices with the food pics and Font/ signage. I really like the area with the exotic lamps and how the jungle cruise waterway is incorporated into the hideaway. I’m sure it will looks great at night with the tiki torches lit. Overall, the area does appear to very “Disneyland.”

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Wow ....TP, I'm surprised at you.

You are the leading authority on Disneyland history and you missed the reference regarding the straw hat and bamboo cane?

It's okay, I'll cover for you.
;)

It's the ol' Barker Bird's gear.
Yep, a lil' tribute to that iconic AA from the Tiki Rooms' early days.

I don't have a photo handy, but it's definitely recreations of his hat and cane.
:)

-

But the Barker Bird was a male, which is why he wore a gentleman’s hat. Why would a female bird need a man’s hat? Is she watching it for the Barker Bird? Does she wear the Barker Bird’s old hat for some cross dressing reason? Rosita has beautiful plumage on her head, wouldn’t wearing a man’s hat ruin that?

Or is this just a random prop laid there as a wink-wink nod to the old Barker Bird? So many questions! 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom