Trip Report **COMPLETED** It's My Mom's Birthday (and it's still a hot one)!

Hey guys, since I essentially failed at making a live TR I will be doing a real one :joyfull::joyfull: I give all you live trip reporters credit! I kept forgetting!! To be fair, though, I have my hands tied most of the time taking videos for my YouTube channel :)

Who?
I'm sure you know but it was my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)!
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_403548362371.JPG

When?
August 8 - 13, 2017

Where?
The Contemporary!

Why?
Today is my Mom's actual Birthday but she can't get off easily on Monday's since its her long day so we went earlier to celebrate her Birthday - ish :)

Day 1 - August 8, 2017
My Mom had to work a half day so I impatiently waited to leave for Disney :rolleyes:. When she got home we checked our luggage, went for a walk and relaxed before my Dad got home to drive us to the airport.
The Gang was ready to go..:joyfull: We are weird I know!
DSC_5160.jpg

DSC_5162.jpg

DSC_5163.jpg

We left for the Airport around 3:30, got there around 3:45, and we had our bags checked and went through security by 3:50 :p I love the Buffalo airport!
We were starving since neither of us ate anything but breakfast so we headed to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of chicken wings). (PS For anyone not from Buffalo who wants to visit and try chicken wings let me know...I can name at least 10 spots better than the Anchor Bar :p)
DSC_5166.jpg

DSC_5167.jpg

We split the appetizer sampler like we always do :) Boneless wings, chicken wings and mozzarella sticks. So healthy! ;)
DSC_5172.jpg

After dinner we headed to our gate to wait for our flight. In the morning of this day there was a fatal hit and run right outside the airport which was sad enough but while we were waiting I found out it was one of my friend/co-worker's uncles. So sad :(. They still haven't found the guy driving the car either :(:(
We were watching the news while we waited to see if they had any leads and soon enough it was time to board the plane.
DSC_5173.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

DSC_5174.jpg

Next up: Getting to Florida!

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
It IS freezing in Tony's!! There were several people complaining in the bathroom there when we went last Summer. I even had a sweater because so many of the restaurants were so cold and even that didn't help enough.

Will you please add me to your channel, too?

Yes !! What the heck why is it so cold? I almost always carry a sweater too and I was so sad I didn't have one!
I can not add people but you can subscribe to me :) You just need to have a youtube account or gmail and you can find my channel and hit subscribe! The name is D.O. Disney so if you search for that it should come up.!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Oh really?! That's cool, such a small world! I'm the same, I like to watch whole trips so I will watch the same channel for ages and then move onto the next! I've subscribed to you too, will definitely be checking it out! Aw believe me it's taken AGES to get there haha I think it helps for us that we have videos from Disneyland Paris too and vlogging is really popular there as well so we get subscribers that visit Paris as well as those that go to WDW. Definitely found we get more when we upload regularly but it's hard to do that when you've a full time job, it takes quite a while to put it all together and edit etc.

Well we have designated Rachel the picture taker and me the vlogger from now one! Hopefully that'll help!

Have you plans for another WDW trip this year? We're back 27th October to 11th November.. CAN NOT WAIT!

I know its so hard to take time to edit! I try to upload once a week now because I'm so backlogged on videos! I am actually going back on Tuesday :) Then I go back for a very brief trip Nov 16-19th...I will just miss you guys :(

Songbird76

Yes !! What the heck why is it so cold? I almost always carry a sweater too and I was so sad I didn't have one!
I can not add people but you can subscribe to me :) You just need to have a youtube account or gmail and you can find my channel and hit subscribe! The name is D.O. Disney so if you search for that it should come up.!
Ok...done...I was worried I wouldn't figure out how to do it or wouldn't be able to find you because I am a tech squib. But I got it!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
Main Street can be very slippery when it rains so my Mom and I walked very slowly to our next destination. It prompted us to go out and buy some new sandals that are not flip flops when we got home :joyfull:
Our first FP was for Dumbo
It stopped rainy briefly but was very humid hence the hazy pictures
DSC_5792.jpg

Ponchos make a great thing to sit on when rides are wet :rolleyes:
DSC_5793.jpg

My Mom tried to take a picture of me on Dumbo and this is how it turned out. We could not stop laughing about it for the next few minutes :joyfull: I have no idea why she took it on this angle.
DSC_5794.jpg

We headed to Carousel of Progress after this! It was packed in there...and everyone was into it! That almost never happens :p
DSC_5796.jpg

Next up was our Buzz FP! Why is the FP line all of a sudden slow for Buzz?! I think we waited almost 20 minutes :eek:
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8083054531.jpeg

After Buzz we slowly (because the rain started again :)) made our way to Tomorrowland Terrace. My third and final Birthday surprise for my my Mom was the HEA Dessert Party! I guess I shouldn't necessarily call it a surprise because I told her about it before we left, but only because I didn't want her to get a dessert at Tonys :joyfull:
We went over around 7:35 and it was already pretty crowded which is odd because its supposed to start at 8 pm :)
We got a table for 2 against the rails but we quickly noticed that the trees would definitely prevent us from seeing the majority of the projections. I am definitely more into the fireworks anyway, but it is a bit of a bummer based on how much you pay for the party. I am not sure if part of the reason was because of the rain a lot of the tables were smushed under the awning and none were placed in the spot you could actually see the projections.
I only took a picture of my food plate...in two different angles so enjoy :joyfull:
HEA cupcake, macaroon, villain cupcake, cheese, raspberry chocolate tart, chocolate covered strawberry and smores thing :) They were all yummy but the cheese will always remain my favorite as I am not a super huge sweets person :)
DSC_5798.jpg

DSC_5799.jpg

Blurry close up of the HEA cupcake
DSC_5800.jpg

Sparkling cider !
DSC_5801.jpg

Look how cool I look in my poncho :p
file-3.jpg

Next up: fireworks

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
Why hello trees...
DSC_5802.jpg

DSC_5806.jpg

I wanted to relax and enjoy the show so I only took a few photos
DSC_5812.jpg

DSC_5818.jpg

DSC_5819.jpg

I hate to say it but HEA has completely grown on me and now I'm obsessed :p @prfctlyximprct @blgauger and @samantha788 had to put up with our group chat where I essentially whined about Wishes over and over again and now I legitimately enjoy the new show...:joyfull::joyfull:
In the end my Mom and I both agreed we probably would do the Plaza Garden Viewing next time so that we could actually see the projections. We also agreed that it was still nice to not be in a massive crowd so in that aspect the party was still a huge plus (and you get to sit at the Terrace)! Plus, it was a nice way to celebrate my Mom's Birthday! After this we walked back to the Contemporary and sat on the balcony enjoying our amazing view one last night.
IMG_4598.JPG

Next up: leaving :cry::cry:

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 6 - August 13, 2017
I have zero rights to complain but this trip went by way too fast! My Mom and I kept saying that we totally did these trips backwards and should have saved our long trip for last :joyfull: I think part of it was we landed late and we were leaving early this morning so we had truly only 4 full days. Oh well, all good things must come to an end sadly. Plus we added on this trip as a last-ish minute bonus for my Mom's B.Day.
We got up early and checked in our luggage. This was actually the first time we ever had an early Magical Express. It was only because Southwest had only two direct flights and the other one would have gotten us home after midnight.
IMG_4602.JPG

Thankfully no Southwest issues this time! The instructions clearly state that you can bring your luggage up to 3 hours before your flight and we were there almost 4 before. The CM was like "cutting it a bit close!" :confused: Whatever sir :joyfull:
We went to Contempo Cafe for some breakfast. My Mom got a waffle and I got a bagel...and a rice crispy treat :joyfull:
IMG_4603.JPG

Contempo Cafe was exceptionally slow again so we actually did not have much time before our Tragical Express came.
We went up to grab our carryons and said goodbye to our room and got Petey's picture :joyfull:
DSC_5828.jpg

DSC_5830.jpg

We headed outside to wait for the bus. It was super foggy and despite cleaning my lens over and over again I still got some haze
DSC_5833.jpg

I was pouting so much I gave myself some extra chins :joyfull:
file-2.jpg

Goodbye Contemporary :( Polynesian had creeped its way up to being my favorite but Contemporary gave it a good run for its money this trip! I think the amazing view had something to do with it :rolleyes:
DSC_5834.jpg

Maybe someday we will stay here again!
We spotted a Minnie van! We actually intended on taking one this trip just to say we did but we couldn't figure out how to actually get one :joyfull: I feel like you probably just ask valet or something but as of right now not too many hotels can do it from the app.
IMG_4605.JPG

Finally our bus came. Our bus driver was very odd and followed us on the bus giving us assigned seats :confused:
We were sad to be leaving (I know I already posted these in the live report)
IMG_4607.JPG

But very happy we were coming back in just over two weeks!
IMG_4608.JPG

I wish I could say our drive was uneventful but we stopped at Fort Wilderness and no one came on the bus. We waited like 10 minutes then finally left...only we didn't. We circled back around and waited again :eek:. I mean I get that they probably have to give some people a buffer but it was like a 20 minute buffer when people have flights to catch! I swear the bus driver just wanted to chat because thats what he was doing both times. He also could not actually get into the airport gates because he forgot his badge :jawdrop:. He was awful!
Anyway we had TSA precheck on our boarding passes but didn't actually have it again. Luckily the wait was short for security. Its only annoying they do that fake TSA precheck thing because the guys working non precheck always say something about how we should not wait in the regular line and make a bug fuss out of it until I say we don't actually have it. Anyway, our flight was uneventful and sadly we returned back home!

Next up: I start my real life job in a week and a half so time for one last summer trip! We leave Tuesday !

Big Hair

We got a table for 2 against the rails but we quickly noticed that the trees would definitely prevent us from seeing the majority of the projections. I am definitely more into the fireworks anyway, but it is a bit of a bummer based on how much you pay for the party. I am not sure if part of the reason was because of the rain a lot of the tables were smushed under the awning and none were placed in the spot you could actually see the projections.
Last February I booked the dessert party for the 5 of us. I booked it the 1st 10 minutes it was available, got there early, and we were stuck back from the railing under the roof, eave, overhang, or whatever you call it. That limited the view of the fireworks and the trees all but hid the projection show. Not a magical event especially because of the costs but oh well.

sheriffwoody

You've convinced me to do the HEA dessert party. Thanks for the tip about plaza viewing! I'm booking that.

Did they have savory items other than cheese? Last time we did a dessert party (illuminations) there were actual snack foods that weren't sweets, so we were kicking ourselves for eating dinner before.

Also I didn't know you were going back so soon! Hooray!!!

PrincessL

Thanks for letting me tag along! Looked like a great trip!

I came away with that it is HOT in Florida during the month of August:happy:

Soooo jelly that you'll be back on Tues!

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
We spotted a Minnie van! We actually intended on taking one this trip just to say we did but we couldn't figure out how to actually get one

I believe I saw on a Disney Vlog where Disney has partnered with Lyft and that you have to go through the Lyft app? I don't use those ride sharing services, so I don't know how it would work exactly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom