Trip Report **COMPLETED** It's My Mom's Birthday (and it's still a hot one)!

Hey guys, since I essentially failed at making a live TR I will be doing a real one :joyfull::joyfull: I give all you live trip reporters credit! I kept forgetting!! To be fair, though, I have my hands tied most of the time taking videos for my YouTube channel :)

Who?
I'm sure you know but it was my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)!
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_403548362371.JPG

When?
August 8 - 13, 2017

Where?
The Contemporary!

Why?
Today is my Mom's actual Birthday but she can't get off easily on Monday's since its her long day so we went earlier to celebrate her Birthday - ish :)

Day 1 - August 8, 2017
My Mom had to work a half day so I impatiently waited to leave for Disney :rolleyes:. When she got home we checked our luggage, went for a walk and relaxed before my Dad got home to drive us to the airport.
The Gang was ready to go..:joyfull: We are weird I know!
DSC_5160.jpg

DSC_5162.jpg

DSC_5163.jpg

We left for the Airport around 3:30, got there around 3:45, and we had our bags checked and went through security by 3:50 :p I love the Buffalo airport!
We were starving since neither of us ate anything but breakfast so we headed to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of chicken wings). (PS For anyone not from Buffalo who wants to visit and try chicken wings let me know...I can name at least 10 spots better than the Anchor Bar :p)
DSC_5166.jpg

DSC_5167.jpg

We split the appetizer sampler like we always do :) Boneless wings, chicken wings and mozzarella sticks. So healthy! ;)
DSC_5172.jpg

After dinner we headed to our gate to wait for our flight. In the morning of this day there was a fatal hit and run right outside the airport which was sad enough but while we were waiting I found out it was one of my friend/co-worker's uncles. So sad :(. They still haven't found the guy driving the car either :(:(
We were watching the news while we waited to see if they had any leads and soon enough it was time to board the plane.
DSC_5173.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

DSC_5174.jpg

Next up: Getting to Florida!

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Did you have an assigned table for the dessert party or did you just have to find your own table? We did the Wishes one a few years ago and I liked that the tables were assigned.

Longers

Great trip - can't believe you have yet another trip booked but glad we might be able to meet again in November!
The good news is your trip reports are getting me through this long wait to get back home! :)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
I believe I saw on a Disney Vlog where Disney has partnered with Lyft and that you have to go through the Lyft app? I don't use those ride sharing services, so I don't know how it would work exactly.

I believe the Minnie vans are only testing at Beach/Yacht/Boardwalk for the time being.

Great report! Hubby and I will be doing the HEE party but with garden view in 2 weeks, so based on your thoughts I'm glad we went that route. We originally booked the terrace, but switched after we read similar opinions.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Last February I booked the dessert party for the 5 of us. I booked it the 1st 10 minutes it was available, got there early, and we were stuck back from the railing under the roof, eave, overhang, or whatever you call it. That limited the view of the fireworks and the trees all but hid the projection show. Not a magical event especially because of the costs but oh well.

Did you get assigned seats? We got to pick at least

Doc Disney

Original Poster
You've convinced me to do the HEA dessert party. Thanks for the tip about plaza viewing! I'm booking that.

Did they have savory items other than cheese? Last time we did a dessert party (illuminations) there were actual snack foods that weren't sweets, so we were kicking ourselves for eating dinner before.

Also I didn't know you were going back so soon! Hooray!!!

Plaza Viewing is much better I think :) Cheese is the only savory item otherwise its just desserts and ice cream and chocolate fondue that is for the kids I think. They don't even have crackers anymore :joyfull:
I think its definitely worth doing so you don't have to stand in the crowd. I know people complain that Disney makes all these extra things that cost money but I'm the sucker who will pay for it because in my mind I'm not just paying for the desserts I'm paying for the comfort :p

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I believe I saw on a Disney Vlog where Disney has partnered with Lyft and that you have to go through the Lyft app? I don't use those ride sharing services, so I don't know how it would work exactly.

Oh really? I was under the assumption it was with Lyft but through the Disney app but that makes more sense. I should download the app then since I feel like I only ever use uber

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Did you have an assigned table for the dessert party or did you just have to find your own table? We did the Wishes one a few years ago and I liked that the tables were assigned.

It was not assigned which is a bummer because you have to really be there early then to get a good seat. I think I read they open the party about 90 minutes before fireworks on average but we were there 85 minutes before and it was already crowded. They may have opened early because of the rain. When I went to the Wishes party the first time it was assigned but the last two it wasn't so who knows

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I believe the Minnie vans are only testing at Beach/Yacht/Boardwalk for the time being.

Great report! Hubby and I will be doing the HEE party but with garden view in 2 weeks, so based on your thoughts I'm glad we went that route. We originally booked the terrace, but switched after we read similar opinions.

Yea you can get Minnie vans anyway but only via app at those places. There were plenty coming and going from the Contemporary !
You will love your choice of viewing! Much better :)

blreinsel

Finally all caught up! It was so fun meeting you and your mom and I hope we're able to do it again in the future! :) I'll have to keep working on Dylan to get his own WDW Magic account. :rolleyes: I was equally as whiny about Wishes vs. HEA :p I'm so glad that we both love it now!

Sooooo exciting that you'll be back on Tuesday! I didn't realize you were coming back so soon! :joyfull: Have so much fun!!!

Lots of pixie dust coming your way! Hope everything with your surgery goes smoothly!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom