The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

It look's like they are having a really wonderful time.

Thanks, Bets! They're having a blast!!! :)
They were in Prague for a few days, and flew back to Cologne this evening.
While in Prague they met up with relatives from my moms side of the family. Those relatives were also here many years ago, and mom and pop attended their wedding in Prague several years ago...! :)

Some random shots they sent us from Prague...! :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

donaldtoo

Yesterday was oldest dd's sweet 16. I paid for an upcharge event. :jawdrop: It was early morning magic. Knowing it was prime vacation time I knew the parks would be massively crowded so thought it would be a good idea. Here were the crowds.
View attachment 216360 View attachment 216361
The breakfast was a nice buffet. Hot foods, fruits, pastries, juices, etc. No waffles though. We got to go on 7dmt 4 times straight. You didn't have to go on the regular queue. They opened a rope by the exit so you could just hop right back on. Did Peter Pan and the carousel. After Peter Pan and with 5 minutes left of EMM we ran back to 7dmt to hop on before the rush. Here is what Fantasyland looked like at 9am.
View attachment 216363
Lots of groups. Hoards of people. We had to get out by 11. It was no longer pleasant.
The best part was at Pinocchio's Village house for breakfast. It was just my family and another in there eating. The CM's saw dd's bday pin. None could believe she was 16. She looks very young. They brought out a special dessert and sang happy birthday to her. Made dh and I tear up. :)

AWESOME!!!!! :joyfull:
So glad y'all had a beautiful family day together on her special day...!!! :)

Our oldest DD also spent her Sweet 16 at WDW back in July of '07. Not gonna' go into details now, but, it was an amazing day...!!! :)

Again, awesome for her and y'all...!!! :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My DD.....
20228787_10209483591867360_65468604600236961_n.jpg

Gabe1

Yep, I've never had a bad meal from sonic.
And, I can still remember the first time I ever had a cherry-limeade slush...OH MY!!!!!!! :joyfull: :hungry:
Easily one of the best non-alcoholic drinks I've ever had in my life...!!!!! :)

I loooveee Cherry Limeade from Sonic. At best maybe 6 times a year, not close.
It is always when we are on the road. I so have wondered what one of those tiny bottles of vodka or rum would be like in one of those???? :rolleyes::inlove:

Gabe1

You are getting our monsoon. It usually comes in July, time for a rain dance!

Last week was nasty bad here. Still it could have been so much worse. From my Mom's on North it is a disaster area. Slight wind change and it would have been us. Homes gone, or under water still.

We were again blessed. We had high winds tonight and some downpours but the worst missed us again vs what could have been. We are not out of the woods yet, more is still drifting on down from Wisconsin aiming at us, hard to calculate where those are going to hit while we sleep. Curious how @
You are referring more to decorations then overlays. There is a big difference in my mind. However, changing the story line of a classic to me is awful. I've heard so many negative comments about the infamous birthday cake overlay of the Castle during WDW's 25th. Something that I found clever and appreciated the effort and the expense of covering a plastic castle with a plastic cake. That was whimsical and very, very creative. Yet, it was considered almost sacrilege, but, sure lets take a true classic show like the Haunted Mansion and make it completely different.

No.. sorry, I cannot and will not ever think that is a good thing. Even decorating it externally for Halloween didn't bother me. Changing the show completely with cardboard cutouts and such, was not something that I wanted to see. The Country bears was basically the same show with different seasonal music. Not the same thing. It still managed to be the same show. When you consider that HM is closed down for about a month before and a month after so no one that goes there during that period of time can see it at all , it is just not worth the hassle. DL being a much more "local" destination probably needs the alternative shows to maintain interest. WDW does not!

As for the Osborne Lights, the overall show was interesting and well done, especially with the snow effect, but what was gained at night was lost three fold during the day when all you could see were buildings with miles of wire draped all over them. I'm glad I saw it once, but, even if it were still there, once would have been enough for me. The castle effect during the holiday season is decoration of what is still the castle. No change in story, just a seasonal change in external appearance. Up close the wires are seen as well, but, in the Osborne lights you are always up close, there is no real distance in that setting.

By definition it is an overlay on an existing attraction. Something added on to of the norm. Tomatoes Tomato's

Gabe1

Do you have a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Disney. It can be a bit long for some but it will have quite a bit of the info that you're looking for which is a bit hard to find on the web. It will answer questions you didn't even think to ask. Being your first trip remember you WILL NOT be able to see and do everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was never a rookie being inducted as an infant to Disneyland and then opening of WDW I still bought the Unoffical Guide to Disney as a parent-didn't do that version before. I also bought Birnbaum back then 'cause that gave good descriptions of what each attraction was that was newer so I could judge for my young family. My kids grew up in a era when every year there was major attraction openings and parks too. My son came into it with only two parks, then 3, then 4 and add in major changes to Downtown Disney Marketplace and 2 water parks and 4 mini golf. Attractions went up in 12-18 months not 5 year plans. Those two books were my vacation Bibles.

Gabe1

There's zero information about any of that on the web. I've looked at every single attraction on the Disney website. I've searched blog posts and forums and read a half decades worth of posts on Disney with Kids. Most of it recommends against taking your kids to Epcot at all until they're much older because they'll get bored because there's nothing for them to do.

Also, we have annual passes to the children's science museum, the zoo, and the arboretum. And we're surrounded by state parks and the children's history museum is free on Sundays. We're certainly able to visit those places much more than we can make the trek to Disney World.

I think more IPs would be great coupled with their countries, not in replacement of. I like that kids can meet Jasmine and Aladdin and then learn about Morocco all in the same place.

You know your kid and their attention span. My kids loved Epcot even as toddlers. Mine loved loved loved the Kids Kiosks. They enjoyed the pavilions but I took them through as young'ns and didn't bother with what would only interest an adult. They loved trying on the Mexican hats, playing with the maracas in the pavilions, playing with the embedded lights in the sidewalks, talking on the telephones with snow white, taking a boat trip with the fishes etc etc etc. My kids loved Epcots diversity. IF the interest is only in IPs and Princesses for your child that type of advice might be good for your child. Only you know how open she is to the world beyond princesses and IPs. My kids loved the car wash, the Coke exhibit, crawling into a head of the scuba diver and looking out, singing along with the attractions in the Land. Crush is beyond awesome for toddlers and preschoolers. Heck as an adult I got a kick out of it.

Gabe1

2021...so is this all for the 50th anniversary? This is what they are doing to get the parks ready for the anniversary, but they just don't want to say that?

Yeah. :(

It didn't hit me square in the eyes until my son said to me that the studios is going to only have 4 attractions that MOVE and my DD and I will only ride two of the four. :eek: It struck me hard then. He is immersed in all this so his factual matter of fact....it is going to get lots worse before it gets better and even that is subject to budget cuts...took the wind out of my sails. For a family that visits at least once a year 5 years of closures and half day parks again is hard to imagine. Extra magical hours at Animal Kingdom with only two attractions open???? Magic Kingdom the park that works closing most days at 10 pm during the summer months??? And the 4th of July week??? I will visit Uni and Volcano Bay to fill in the gaps. Other than $$$ there is no reason for the 5 year closures. I saw how quickly Mountains like Splash were built. A very elaborate attraction. It can be done if the will is there. That will seems to be gone. Sure I am happy that someday 5+ years from now a few attractions will be added but not nearly what has been eliminated. Frustrating as I love WDW.

Gabe1

I think Star Wars land will be to Disney what WWoHP has been to Uni. We went to Universal on our honeymoon, but didn't spend much time there and weren't overly impressed. We didn't feel the need to go back. But then they added WWoHP and suddenly we HAD to go, and I think I read that their attendance nearly doubled when they added that. It's still a major draw and they have special packages just for that. Even non-fans are impressed. I think there are certain franchises that have such a huge loyal fandom, and StarWars is one of them, that they will show up in droves even if they've never had the desire to visit Disney before. I kind of hope they stick to HS, though, just so the other parks aren't so crowded.

That Harry to Stars is a very good analogy.

Gabe1

Kept nodding my head "yes" to your whole post, but this last paragraph really cinched it. It's the morphage factor that's killing me. I want to see unique and different, not a 4-park clone. Kiss those days goodbye.

That would have been such a great idea to simply relocate that ride.

Thanks. But I felt that way when it began, rebranding Countdown to Dino It isn't necessary and lacks imagineering. The imagineering...the draw. I'm still waiting for Blizzard Beach as some have said to be rebranded FROZEN. I have a son. All this Princess branding is really driving families to Uni that have at least one boy in the equation.

Think even of the character meals. Most are repelled by elementary school boys on up. Why could there not be a Toy Story meal or a Star Wars meal to at least balance out the Princess IP? I have a DD that was not a Princess type gal. She always thought outside the box of the stereo type and I encouraged her exploration outside the world of princesses. All that was not what interested them nor did I encourage. Likely why I wound up with a DD that was a math and statistic major and not a diva.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom