The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
For absolutely no reason except that it's Monday and I'm not going to those political boards anymore, here is Ben Platt in his Tony winning role in DEAR EVAN HANSEN singing For Forever.

Set up for the song: Evan is a lonely kid with social anxiety disorder who has broken his arm by falling out of a tree, but he has subsequently told an elaborate lie saying he was best friends with a deceased classmate (Evan had no real friends). Nothing he says in this song ever happened. It's just his fantasy of having a close friend. Here is FOR FOREVER from basically the best musical of the year.

*Waves Hi!*

Gabe1

For anyone -- I've been reading as much as I can about what was announced at D23 (mostly from up in N&R).

There's so much up there that I've only scratched the surface. Like everyone else, I just don't have the time to read everything, and I'm bummed out about that. I've completely missed many threads entirely. :(

Anyway, here's my question--for those of you who are perhaps more familiar with the new announcements, is my interpretation correct -- is every new project going to take FIVE years before they're done? So, we won't see any new cool stuff for five years from now? :confused:

That is what I am grasping. No real opening dates just by 2021. I look at Epcot and the Studios as taking hits for less bang for the buck for 5 years then they already have. While Avatarland is still awesome addition that park still needs so much more. The tease of Brazil in WS at Epcot but not announce is troubling. We have seen for decades the coming of new countries only to fizzle out. The Tron at the MK seems to debatable among the various websites if the Speedway will survive or be scraped. I guess what I wonder about Disney and the 'plan' of 2021 is how far behind both FLE and Avatar became...years. They can close attractions now but the trend is delay...delay...delay. Thinking my body could to be too old to experience the Tron type attractions by the time they launch. :confused::eek:;)

I'm at least for 5 years going with the trend and our plan for years already of splitting our time between Uni and Disney. I look forward to experiencing Volcano Bay Waterpark.

Gabe1

Nope, didn't forget the annex, I was including it under the general Air and Space umbrella.
And, spending 5 days learning even more about all kinds of flying would be a 5-day dream come true...!!!!!!! :joyfull: :happy: :)

As far as the space restaurant goes...
At first blush, it all looks and sounds awesome.
The one piece of concept art that I've seen shows the place looking crisp, clean, straightforward, yet whimsically classy.
If they do this right this will be a dream dining destination for me.
But, as we've seen so many times in the past, there are sooo many ways Disney can screw this up, too.
I, of course, hope for the dream dining destination...! :)

You're not wrong. From D23 concept to actual execution you have the right to be guarded as we all do. As you say so many times burnt. I feel for the imagineers to have their work gutted.

Gabe1

Truth. Epcot wouldn't even be on our itinerary if it weren't for the IPs. I really understand the sentiment attached to the historic Epcot classics, but first timers like us won't get the draw.

I can't even grasp that.

Looking at all the hands on activities for the very young. The learning curve combined with fun vs the simple IPs. The control over music alone in Imagination for preschoolers/elementary kids was so absorbing for my kids. The hands on peddling a bike through the Magic Kingdom streets embracing children into exercise vs being a princess? The tech of SSE that is made for little kids to explore. More a balance. Makes me sad that a simple IP replaces that type of offerings for the next generation families, it is just so one dimensional to me.

I watched my kids interact with cutting edge tech throughout Epcot pavilions and they love every moment having control over sound, light and movement. IPs have their place in fun for kids but my thought raising mine is there is so much fun in learning and development beyond Disney animation and Disney can and did it so well. I lean towards kids embracing only what they exposed to and if IPs are the only thing they are exposed to that will narrow their visions.

I'm not a fan of all 4 parks morphing into the same but different IPs. In fairness I am not any bigger of a fan of the World Showcase evolving into the World of IPs either. There is so much culture out there for kids to absorb, watching gymnasts, kids kiosks, music. I just saw my kids have so much fun experiencing the things they were not exposed to on TV and in the Target video section. Epcot is a unique offering. Makes me sad to think the next generation of kids will only be exposed to the singular IP draw.

Cesar R M

That is what I am grasping. No real opening dates just by 2021. I look at Epcot and the Studios as taking hits for less bang for the buck for 5 years then they already have. While Avatarland is still awesome addition that park still needs so much more. The tease of Brazil in WS at Epcot but not announce is troubling. We have seen for decades the coming of new countries only to fizzle out. The Tron at the MK seems to debatable among the various websites if the Speedway will survive or be scraped. I guess what I wonder about Disney and the 'plan' of 2021 is how far behind both FLE and Avatar became...years. They can close attractions now but the trend is delay...delay...delay. Thinking my body could to be too old to experience the Tron type attractions by the time they launch. :confused::eek:;)

I'm at least for 5 years going with the trend and our plan for years already of splitting our time between Uni and Disney. I look forward to experiencing Volcano Bay Waterpark.
Exactly, I'm still wondering why the hell they dont just build the mickey ride in animation courtyard. They are just ruining DHS while they are building.

Figgy1

Premium Member
For anyone -- I've been reading as much as I can about what was announced at D23 (mostly from up in N&R).

There's so much up there that I've only scratched the surface. Like everyone else, I just don't have the time to read everything, and I'm bummed out about that. I've completely missed many threads entirely. :(

Anyway, here's my question--for those of you who are perhaps more familiar with the new announcements, is my interpretation correct -- is every new project going to take FIVE years before they're done? So, we won't see any new cool stuff for five years from now? :confused:
Toy Story is going to open next summer, SW land 2019 California ours is supposedly a few months behind:cautious:, permits already filed for the rat, I heard the following rumors(my in box had a few sent from a friend who follows such matters, same friend who never seems to link anything:mad:) Riviera aprox 2-2 1/2 years, SW hotel with the land(don't believe that one), and the rest who knows. I have a bit of hope for the space restaurant getting done quickly, just speculation but the company that is going to run it seems to be on the ball for getting things done.

Songbird76

We as a very young family spent so much time at Epcot. At least as much as the MK. With kids 5 years apart and wildly different in height and Epcot being shelter from rain days along with heat it was a wonderful park for us to visit for a 14-16 day vacation.

I try to think of anything my kids could not do when I first brought DS down. I want to say when they added body wars my infant and toddler DD didn't experience that but there was so much more to do with her in WoL while DS and I rode Body Wars. He rode it at 3 years old. There was only an age minimum not height when it opened. He absolutely loved it coming off saying can we do it again Mamma??? The Mom needed a few hours back then, he did not.

But all the other pavilions in FW were family friendly for all ages. There was so much in every single pavilion to interact with for them, not just a E attraction. SSE had a good 1.5 hours of interactive things to explore for my kids. Back then innovations was awesome too! Miss Motion and Horizons for families. Test track is great however it is mostly a queue and a very very short E attraction for the wait.
Motion and SSE were our favorites when we were kids. And I don't remember where it was...I thought it was when you came out of Imagination, but I could be wrong...there was somewhere that had computer screens where you could color. And there was a giant kitchen table-sized thing with all the pins that you can make an imprint of something like your hand in it by pushing up those pins. And then somewhere else, they had robots that would draw your portrait. Epcot was our favorite because there was so much to do. Now there's really not as much, but I still love the World Showcase.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm not a fan of all 4 parks morphing into the same but different IPs. In fairness I am not any bigger of a fan of the World Showcase evolving into the World of IPs either. There is so much culture out there for kids to absorb, watching gymnasts, kids kiosks, music. I just saw my kids have so much fun experiencing the things they were not exposed to on TV and in the Target video section. Epcot is a unique offering. Makes me sad to think the next generation of kids will only be exposed to the singular IP draw

Kept nodding my head "yes" to your whole post, but this last paragraph really cinched it. It's the morphage factor that's killing me. I want to see unique and different, not a 4-park clone. Kiss those days goodbye.

Exactly, I'm still wondering why the hell they dont just build the mickey ride in animation courtyard. They are just ruining DHS while they are building

That would have been such a great idea to simply relocate that ride.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I have spent months upon months trying to ketchup on this thread without skipping any posts.
And, I've finally done it...I'M ALL KETCHUPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: :)

Now, time to fall 100+ pages behind again...!!!!! :hilarious: :D ;) :)

Congratulations!!
most-awesome-awards.jpg

Songbird76

Yep, the Star Wars as I said is going to be a hook, that is a pilgrimage of fans unto itself. Toy addition is a small coaster and a spinner. I don't look for it to be more immersive than the playground that was bulldozed that my children spent countless hours exploring. I am wrestling with the the trade-offs of all the backlot original tours, tram, walk through that sucked you into that half of the park for hours vs a few attractions where guests will be excited for a few minutes vs hours of backlot experiences. My guess and only a guess with the new Toy and StarWars guests will be spending far more time in the queues over the actual experience on an attraction. Time will tell. I am intrigued to see what the Great Movie Ride will be altered or bulldozed to be. I'm more concerned about the icon building than a change inside.
I think Star Wars land will be to Disney what WWoHP has been to Uni. We went to Universal on our honeymoon, but didn't spend much time there and weren't overly impressed. We didn't feel the need to go back. But then they added WWoHP and suddenly we HAD to go, and I think I read that their attendance nearly doubled when they added that. It's still a major draw and they have special packages just for that. Even non-fans are impressed. I think there are certain franchises that have such a huge loyal fandom, and StarWars is one of them, that they will show up in droves even if they've never had the desire to visit Disney before. I kind of hope they stick to HS, though, just so the other parks aren't so crowded.

Songbird76

2021...so is this all for the 50th anniversary? This is what they are doing to get the parks ready for the anniversary, but they just don't want to say that?

FutureCEO

How Disney builds a ride

Turtles.jpg

How they build hotels/restaurants
50330.jpeg

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I can't even grasp that.

Looking at all the hands on activities for the very young. The learning curve combined with fun vs the simple IPs. The control over music alone in Imagination for preschoolers/elementary kids was so absorbing for my kids. The hands on peddling a bike through the Magic Kingdom streets embracing children into exercise vs being a princess? The tech of SSE that is made for little kids to explore. More a balance. Makes me sad that a simple IP replaces that type of offerings for the next generation families, it is just so one dimensional to me.

I watched my kids interact with cutting edge tech throughout Epcot pavilions and they love every moment having control over sound, light and movement. IPs have their place in fun for kids but my thought raising mine is there is so much fun in learning and development beyond Disney animation and Disney can and did it so well. I lean towards kids embracing only what they exposed to and if IPs are the only thing they are exposed to that will narrow their visions.

I'm not a fan of all 4 parks morphing into the same but different IPs. In fairness I am not any bigger of a fan of the World Showcase evolving into the World of IPs either. There is so much culture out there for kids to absorb, watching gymnasts, kids kiosks, music. I just saw my kids have so much fun experiencing the things they were not exposed to on TV and in the Target video section. Epcot is a unique offering. Makes me sad to think the next generation of kids will only be exposed to the singular IP draw.

There's zero information about any of that on the web. I've looked at every single attraction on the Disney website. I've searched blog posts and forums and read a half decades worth of posts on Disney with Kids. Most of it recommends against taking your kids to Epcot at all until they're much older because they'll get bored because there's nothing for them to do.

Also, we have annual passes to the children's science museum, the zoo, and the arboretum. And we're surrounded by state parks and the children's history museum is free on Sundays. We're certainly able to visit those places much more than we can make the trek to Disney World.

I think more IPs would be great coupled with their countries, not in replacement of. I like that kids can meet Jasmine and Aladdin and then learn about Morocco all in the same place.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I have spent months upon months trying to ketchup on this thread without skipping any posts.
And, I've finally done it...I'M ALL KETCHUPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: :)

Now, time to fall 100+ pages behind again...!!!!! :hilarious: :D ;) :)

That is impressive!! Congrats!!

I do fret about what will become of both the balance of the Land and Imagination. I saw how quickly Motion and Horizons were poof gone. WoL took a more slow death.

I genuinely surprised by the very quick closure dates for Energy and GMR at the Studios. Wish they gave the fans a few months or so to have their one last times before they close until 2021, such a long build time.

This was my first thought too! I wish they announced things long enough in advance for folks to plan a trip down to see it one more time. Lots of people did that with Wishes.

Figgy1

Premium Member
There's zero information about any of that on the web. I've looked at every single attraction on the Disney website. I've searched blog posts and forums and read a half decades worth of posts on Disney with Kids. Most of it recommends against taking your kids to Epcot at all until they're much older because they'll get bored because there's nothing for them to do.

Also, we have annual passes to the children's science museum, the zoo, and the arboretum. And we're surrounded by state parks and the children's history museum is free on Sundays. We're certainly able to visit those places much more than we can make the trek to Disney World.

I think more IPs would be great coupled with their countries, not in replacement of. I like that kids can meet Jasmine and Aladdin and then learn about Morocco all in the same place.
Do you have a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Disney. It can be a bit long for some but it will have quite a bit of the info that you're looking for which is a bit hard to find on the web. It will answer questions you didn't even think to ask. Being your first trip remember you WILL NOT be able to see and do everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goofyernmost

I like overlays. It was cute in the Jungle Cruise and once was really fun in Country Bears at WDW. I loved the Osborne Lights overlays in both the residential area and also in the streets, though I found the original Osborne Residential a more lovely, tranquil overlay that more resembled Christmas hometown USA. I find the castle overlay beyond awesome at Christmas. I attended the very first Halloween hard ticket at the MK and their small overlays just for the Castle only during party the time to be very creative too.
You are referring more to decorations then overlays. There is a big difference in my mind. However, changing the story line of a classic to me is awful. I've heard so many negative comments about the infamous birthday cake overlay of the Castle during WDW's 25th. Something that I found clever and appreciated the effort and the expense of covering a plastic castle with a plastic cake. That was whimsical and very, very creative. Yet, it was considered almost sacrilege, but, sure lets take a true classic show like the Haunted Mansion and make it completely different.

No.. sorry, I cannot and will not ever think that is a good thing. Even decorating it externally for Halloween didn't bother me. Changing the show completely with cardboard cutouts and such, was not something that I wanted to see. The Country bears was basically the same show with different seasonal music. Not the same thing. It still managed to be the same show. When you consider that HM is closed down for about a month before and a month after so no one that goes there during that period of time can see it at all , it is just not worth the hassle. DL being a much more "local" destination probably needs the alternative shows to maintain interest. WDW does not!

As for the Osborne Lights, the overall show was interesting and well done, especially with the snow effect, but what was gained at night was lost three fold during the day when all you could see were buildings with miles of wire draped all over them. I'm glad I saw it once, but, even if it were still there, once would have been enough for me. The castle effect during the holiday season is decoration of what is still the castle. No change in story, just a seasonal change in external appearance. Up close the wires are seen as well, but, in the Osborne lights you are always up close, there is no real distance in that setting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom