So when people complain about the standard of food within the parks .........

Goofyernmost

I've never been impressed with either. Both are edible, but, far from high quality. I don't expect much from the counter service places, but, something that doesn't make me gag when I bite into it. I have never been impressed with the sit down places mostly because of what they charge for it. The quality is not great to me. It is to exotic for me. I don't like exotic when it comes to food. I always feel that they just stand there and throw things in it and wait for people to rave about how great it is even if it tastes like sawdust. Just never impressed, add to that the cost and I am just not feeling like I got my moneys worth. I'd sooner go to a corporate restaurant off-site, pay 66% less for it and recognize all the ingredients.

Weather_Lady

I think if people complain about Disney food, the complaint has to do with the otherworldly price point rather than the quality. Our meals at CS and TS locations have generally ranged between "okay" and "excellent" -- never terrible. Naturally, the value isn't what it would be at real world prices (for the price of my CS cheeseburger-and-fries at Cosmic Ray's, I could go to Applebee's and get a sirloin steak with all the trimmings), but we recognize that, as with buying a home, Disney food pricing is highly influenced by "location, location, location." (And of course, if you add characters, the price soars because of the uniqueness of that, too.) Although we choose Disney restaurants wisely with an eye toward value (avoiding character meals and all of the priciest venues), we typically find the convenience and on-property ambiance to be worth the upcharge.

Tony the Tigger

I really only have one complaint and that is how the quality of high-end TS food has become, more specifically Be Our Guest. First opened, payed a hefty price for good quality food. Several years later, still pay a hefty price, but the quality of food is now about the same or less than a QS option. The only good that still exist for me in Be Our Guest food wise is the Gray Stuff. It's still delicious.

And I could seriously go for some right about now...

I've heard this from a lot of people. I went twice when it first opened and enjoyed it, so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead LOL.

Goofyernmost

Sorry, that's not sawdust, it's "leek ash."

(From Tiffins)

• Duo of Lamb - Ethiopian Coffee Butter-infused Lamb Loin, Boerewors, Soubise, Chakalaka, Tamarind Barbecue, Leek Ash - $41.00

Btw this dish was stupendous.
Yea... sound yummy! Are we sure it wasn't from the ashtrays in the smoking areas? It's hard to define ashes without special equipment.

Chef Mickey

Just reading that made me gag a little.

Mmmm.. bag food....:p
Haha...I had a friend that worked at Olive Garden. The bread is frozen and just warmed up there. The salad comes from a bag, pre cut. They do add real tomatoes on top but the olives and peppers are canned, the croutons are bagged, and the salad dressing comes already made in a giant plastic bottle.

All the sauces are frozen in bags and just warmed through.

Chicken and seafood is all frozen.

All the ravioli is frozen from a bag.

The pasta is all 80% cooked and then (usually overcooked) during service because they make massive amounts before you even order and just warm it through.

Desserts are frozen and pre made (brought in from a food supplier).

All soups are frozen. Fresh kale is added to the sausage and potato frozen soup.

Literally nothing is homemade.

bluetiedye

For the most part the food is fine, but like others have said it is not worth what they charge IMO.

If I want quality food I'd rather go to Disney Springs or off-property all-together. If I want convenience I'll pack a few PB&Js.

Tony the Tigger

Not sure if I should try it or offer my condolences...

Seriously, if you enjoy lamb, definitely try it. Best lamb I've ever had, hands down. You may not be able to tell from that description with all those uncommon words, but the lamb comes two ways. Most lamb I've ever gotten anywhere was fatty and/or more bone (and work) than it was worth. This was amazingly clean and delicious. The sides were all fantastic, no exaggeration. I'm sure I have a pic in my "2 broke guys" pre-trip report (even though we've already gone, we're going again soon.)

The leek ash, I could take it or leave it, and you can easily ignore it on the plate if you want. To me, it was interesting to dip a few things into it and see what it did to the overall flavor (just maybe giving it a little "char" flavor) as a bite variation.

Much better was the leek fondue at the old Flying Fish. Oh, I miss that. (Off the menu.)

njDizFan

You are comparing WDW to Ruth's Chris? RC is an other overpriced chain that people like to eat at because it makes they feel important

Montville Inn, down the road from my house - and that is Northern NJ pricing.

12 oz Filet
$ 28
Cheddar Cheese Orzo, Grilled Asparagus, Red Wine Demi Glaze

And really, a filet is about the most overrated thing on any menu. Except for maybe surf and turf
Next time try the Asparagus Milanese...awesome dish

Mickey5150

I really think the main factor in reviews has been the price going up with sizes going down. That's why I've gone from table service at the resorts to table service in the springs. So many great choices with entrees in the $15-$30 range. Homecomin, Frontera Cocina and my all time favorite Raglan Road.

Tony the Tigger

I really think the main factor in reviews has been the price going up with sizes going down. That's why I've gone from table service at the resorts to table service in the springs. So many great choices with entrees in the $15-$30 range. Homecomin, Frontera Cocina and my all time favorite Raglan Road.

I don't know that Disney Springs is necessarily less expensive than the resorts. There are many options. We love Homecoming and enjoyed Raglan Road as well. I think DS is much improved.

thomas998

Are they usually talking about self service places serving burgers and pizza etc, or are they referencing the table service restaurants? I'll be honest apart from a table service meal at the Sc-fi Dine In or The Rose and Crown occasionally, we rarely eat at 'proper restaurants' within Disney. I'm also like a big kid and normally look for a burger on the menu in there anyway or fish & chips in the Rose & Crown.

But in general when people on here refer to the quality of food not being what is was in Disney World, do they mean table service restaurants and if so how has it changed?
I don't see much of a decline in the quick service places. You also don't have much of a decline in some of the higher end places. The only places I've notice any decline seems to be some of the character buffet places with the deserts probably being hit more than other things. Now there are some places that just plain stink, but then those places have stunk for a very long time so I don't think they suddenly got bad they were always bad.... like breakfast in Cinderella's Castle, it is nasty but has been nasty well over a decade so I wouldn't say it has gotten worse it just never improved.

Mickey5150

I don't know that Disney Springs is necessarily less expensive than the resorts. There are many options. We love Homecoming and enjoyed Raglan Road as well. I think DS is much improved.
I know not quite the same level but when you look at Jikos or Flying Fish their cheapest entree is $30 with most entrees $40+ then Disney Springs becomes a great value.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I don't see much of a decline in the quick service places. You also don't have much of a decline in some of the higher end places. The only places I've notice any decline seems to be some of the character buffet places with the deserts probably being hit more than other things. Now there are some places that just plain stink, but then those places have stunk for a very long time so I don't think they suddenly got bad they were always bad.... like breakfast in Cinderella's Castle, it is nasty but has been nasty well over a decade so I wouldn't say it has gotten worse it just never improved.

We've had the character buffet breakfast at the Crystal Palace restaurant the last three years on the trot. The food isn't good or bad really, mainly average. We look at that as paying for the experience though really and getting into the MK an hour before it opens

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom