Trip Report The I'm Ditching the Spreadsheets....an Unrecognizable Trip!

We arrived home around 10pm last night from our Disney vacation. The planning for this trip started in March, but by September it was not even close to the original. So how did it all turn out? Did I make the correct decisions? Was this trip as hectic as the last one? Should I have cancelled so many dining reservations? Did we miss too much because upon arrival I decided to rip up the spread sheets..the same ones that I so painstakingly obsessed over?! I'm thinking about all of this as I am attempting to organize my 609,504,302 photos.

There were a few hiccups, including my Etsy order not arriving in time, sprinting to the Magical Express just as the doors closed, leaving our Elf on the Shelf in the room after check out, getting stuck on a ride, a missing boat captain, broken ornaments, and a horrible 3 hour lunch. All in all it was an amazing trip. I do not regret the decision to change from the original plans, or the second, or the 3rd, or even the plans I had when we were on the plane heading to Orlando. I decided to throw out most of them and take a (semi) wing it approach. :)

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Thank you! And when I logged in.. I realized that the price per night was lower than I thought. Still too high imo.. but a lot less than the prior week.. so maybe that means a lot of schools aren't on break!

Fingers crossed!
The schools around here are mostly off tomorrow and Monday. I know some school districts had off starting yesterday. It is different everywhere, but hopefully it won't be too crowded for you guys.

21stamps

Original Poster
Ok so I was just on FB.. look at my on this day from 2016 and 2012..

Thought you guys may appreciate it.

In my other trip report I mentioned that I booked, and cancelled, a few Disney trips before we finally went in 2015 lol. We did SoFla in '12, skipped WDW.

I must get the Disney bug during the month of April apparently lol

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Ok so I was just on FB.. look at my on this day from 2016 and 2012..

Thought you guys may appreciate it.

In my other trip report I mentioned that I booked, and cancelled, a few Disney trips before we finally went in 2015 lol. We did SoFla in '12, skipped WDW.

I must get the Disney bug during the month of April apparently lol

View attachment 199527

View attachment 199528
That's funny! I have booked and canceled 2 cruises because I just couldn't stomach the price after thinking about it. We need 2 cabins, mind you so everything is double.:confused: Apparently the 3 day cruise in 2015 may end up being our only one.

21stamps

Original Poster
That's funny! I have booked and canceled 2 cruises because I just couldn't stomach the price after thinking about it. We need 2 cabins, mind you so everything is double.:confused: Apparently the 3 day cruise in 2015 may end up being our only one.
The Norway/Iceland was just under $14k.. for 2!!!!!

We will be doing a similar itinerary on MSC in the next 2 years. Originally pushed it back to 2017.. but probably going to wait until 2019 I'd like him to be a little bit older on that one...mostly due to the cost of the trip and very long days. I don't know.. we'll see which year lol. I Constantly change my mind. Alaska needs to be in there too.

DCL Eastern and Westerns aren't too bad depending on the time of year. Thanksgiving week on the Fantasy is only $1k more than my NCL cruise. I hate to say "only" but as a comparison, a Southern Caribbean is more than HALF the price.

I can't imagine doing 2 cabins!! Maybe for you do 1 inside and 1 balcony..putting the kids across the hall? It would save money.

Truthfully though, I am very excited about the NCL Escape. It actually looks like there are more activities for us to do TOGETHER than on DCL ships. DCL seems to be centered more around the kids clubs, which we won't take advantage of too much being that it's just the 2 of us. We have DCL booked for November, but I also booked a NCL Epic cruise the same week.. I'll most likely push the Fantasy back to a Star Wars cruise.. still undecided if I want to cruise in January though.

Idea- You Homeschool!!! You could do a Panama Canal cruise as part of your lesson plans!!! The PC and Transatlantic DCL cruises are actually very reasonably priced. Just too long for us during the school year.. perfect for you!!!

MySmallWorldof4

The Norway/Iceland was just under $14k.. for 2!!!!!

We will be doing a similar itinerary on MSC in the next 2 years. Originally pushed it back to 2017.. but probably going to wait until 2019 I'd like him to be a little bit older on that one...mostly due to the cost of the trip and very long days. I don't know.. we'll see which year lol. I Constantly change my mind. Alaska needs to be in there too.

DCL Eastern and Westerns aren't too bad depending on the time of year. Thanksgiving week on the Fantasy is only $1k more than my NCL cruise. I hate to say "only" but as a comparison, a Southern Caribbean is more than HALF the price.

I can't imagine doing 2 cabins!! Maybe for you do 1 inside and 1 balcony..putting the kids across the hall? It would save money.

Truthfully though, I am very excited about the NCL Escape. It actually looks like there are more activities for us to do TOGETHER than on DCL ships. DCL seems to be centered more around the kids clubs, which we won't take advantage of too much being that it's just the 2 of us. We have DCL booked for November, but I also booked a NCL Epic cruise the same week.. I'll most likely push the Fantasy back to a Star Wars cruise.. still undecided if I want to cruise in January though.

Idea- You Homeschool!!! You could do a Panama Canal cruise as part of your lesson plans!!! The PC and Transatlantic DCL cruises are actually very reasonably priced. Just too long for us during the school year.. perfect for you!!!
DH cannot take more then a week off at a time. Panama Canal sounds exciting, but to be honest, dh wasn't thrilled with the whole cruising thing. Google Earth right now is our friend for visiting far away places.;)

21stamps

Original Poster
DH cannot take more then a week off at a time. Panama Canal sounds exciting, but to be honest, dh wasn't thrilled with the whole cruising thing. Google Earth right now is our friend for visiting far away places.;)

How old are your kids? Have you heard of something called Little Passports? I gave T a World Edition subscription on his 4th birthday.. we've been monthly subscribers ever since. This year (for his bday) I'm adding the US Edition as well. We love it!!!

MySmallWorldof4

How old are your kids? Have you heard of something called Little Passports? I gave T a World Edition subscription on his 4th birthday.. we've been monthly subscribers ever since. This year (for his bday) I'm adding the US Edition as well. We love it!!!
Dd6,dd9,ds14,dd15. I did the passports one year. I think 3 years ago when we were studying other cultures. Yes it was great.

21stamps

Original Poster
Dd6,dd9,ds14,dd15. I did the passports one year. I think 3 years ago when we were studying other cultures. Yes it was great.

You must completely laugh at my whining and mistakes...Seriously. I have a tough time juggling everything with one child.. and I drop several balls in the process. Lol

I am so looking forward to your trip reports!! I can't wait to see your planning.. and also hoping that I learn something from it!!lol

MySmallWorldof4

You must completely laugh at my whining and mistakes...Seriously. I have a tough time juggling everything with one child.. and I drop several balls in the process. Lol

I am so looking forward to your trip reports!! I can't wait to see your planning.. and also hoping that I learn something from it!!lol
Oh please, I am in no way a perfect parent. I think you were just trying to give T an amazing experience and wanted things to be as perfect as your brain had conjured up. Sometimes you just have to let things go. It is vacation and you will have fun anyway. Hope T has a great birthday weekend! Can't wait to hear all about it.:)

Sillysidewalker

We did great wolf lodge in Oct and my kids loved it. I was dreading going but have to say we had a great time. Bring a lot of snacks with all that swimming my kids were ravenous. I felt like the character activities were geared toward my 3 year olds. My 6 year old was not impressed. We had no time for bowling. We spent time in the arcade and had ice cream. I wish we could have done magic quest but my little ones were just too young. Everyone seems to run around in the pjs at night so be prepared for that. Jealous of KI opening. I think next year my kids may be old enough to justify passes.

21stamps

Original Poster
We did great wolf lodge in Oct and my kids loved it. I was dreading going but have to say we had a great time. Bring a lot of snacks with all that swimming my kids were ravenous. I felt like the character activities were geared toward my 3 year olds. My 6 year old was not impressed. We had no time for bowling. We spent time in the arcade and had ice cream. I wish we could have done magic quest but my little ones were just too young. Everyone seems to run around in the pjs at night so be prepared for that. Jealous of KI opening. I think next year my kids may be old enough to justify passes.
Thanks for the tips!

Do not be jealous of last night, it was insane.
I canceled a Disney trip for this weekend largely in part due to crowds, and we were in much worse crowds than what I have seen people report from Disney this past week. I'm going to post photos soon. Absolute craziness!!
In seven hours we went on two rides. Lines were too long for food so we didn't eat. Waited 30 minutes to buy a drink. Waited 40 minutes for one ride which was by far the shortest one available. And then waited over three hours for a second ride. CRAZY.

21stamps

Original Poster
To those who have done GWL- I've been running around this darn lodge for 3 days with a kid who is in a mission to complete the entire MQ book.

On day 2 our wand stop working and we had to get a replacement. T wanted to start over with his "new magic".

At least we're getting exercise lol.
And.. we're doing a lot better than we did at the Hidden Mickey Hunt at WL!! Ha ha.

21stamps

Original Poster
My Should-Have-Been-Disney Easter Break

Those of you who were on my "short Disney trip" thread, already know that I was deciding between a Yurt or Disney World for Easter Break/T's Bday. I booked Disney, and later on cancelled.

I didn't do the Yurt either.

Obviously, from the previous posts- we (finally) did Great Wolf Lodge. And opening day at our home amusement park.

Friday night at the park was insane crowds. I'm talking a crowd level that I have never seen at any amusement or theme park in my 39 years.
It had me wishing that I would have chosen Disney!

Here's why- Friday night was a complete surprise for T..he thought we were going to a dinner of crab legs.
The kid was THRILLED when we arrived at the exit for Kings Island!

And then--- we sat in stopped or crawling traffic.. for almost an hour... to get from the exit to the gates. Less than a half mile!!!
Parking lot was at full capacity. People were lined up in rows just waiting for other people who were leaving the park.
This luckily took only 15 minutes or so, I went away from all the cars waiting..instead going farther away than I even knew existed, but- we got a spot!!!

Because my life seems to be full of a series of unfortunate events- we hit another road block-

After going thru security, then waiting in line again at the park entrance.. we finally arrive at the turnstile.
T's Pass isn't working!!!!! They said the photo was blurry!!! What?!?
"Ok, what do we do?"
Turnstile guy says "Go to Guest Services over there."
We go to Guest Services.
Wait in a long line again.. with a father loudly arguing about the price of a pass for his wife..because "they should honor the same price that he paid for his back in October of '16"
Passes are now $20 higher. This went on for what felt like an eternity. Then finally- we're up!!

Wait, what? You can't fix it?
"No sorry, you'll have to go to ticket processing."

O. M. G. 1 hour ago I had a super excited (almost) birthday boy who had just received his first present. Now, I have a kid who says "It's ok mommy, maybe we should just leave."
No!!

We walk to Ticket Processing.
The line was INSANE.
Wrapped around 4 times.. then you arrived at a window.. then you went in another insane line to get your photo.

I was crushed. It's now 7:37 and the park closes at 10. I was told that the wait was over an hour.

A worker passed by and I stopped her. Started to explain what happened and being the nutcase that I am- totally choked up and had a few tears embarrassingly escape my eyes.

And the most amazing thing happened- PIXIE DUST!!! Ok, not real Pixie Dust.. but close enough. Cedar Fair Dust?lol. Anyway, she took us through an employee entrance- right up to a photo booth- and snapped T's photo!!!

I wanted to hug her!!!!!

I thanked her about 900 times then we made a dash for the turnstile again.
Pass worked.
We're in!!!

Here's what we see-
IMG_2984.JPG

We could barely move!! Food lines- ridic. Drink lines- ridic. Rides lines- super ridic.

LisaBelle

I live in Cincinnati. About 20 minutes from KI. I am glad my daughter and her friends decided not to go. They would have been so aggravated by the crowds. Especially because we compare every amusement park to Disney. Of course, none can really compare. So glad the worker shortened your wait for getting T's photo taken. Hope things looked up for the rest of the birthday surprises.

21stamps

Original Poster
Every ride on the app showed a 60 to 180 minute wait time.
IMG_2990.PNG
IMG_2989.PNG

I ask an employee if Fast Lane Passes are available- nope. Not on Gold/Platinum Preview night.
Ugh. Ok.

One ride said 40 minutes- we debate that one, then head to The Slingshot instead. Pay $40 and get in line. About 12 people in front of us. We decide to go wait the 40 minutes for the Racers and come back to the Slingshot hoping the line will be shorter.

It was not.

So, we waited 30 minutes at a Coca Cola Marketplace to get a drink.

Then back to the Slingshot.

After 15 minutes or so, I hear someone say that Mystic Timbers (the highly anticipated new ride for 2017) was going to be closing off the line soon.

We get out of the Slingshot line- again. Luckily, the employee gives me a refund. Yay!!!

Now we run to Mystic Timbers.. app still says 180 minutes.. but the line guy says "it's really only about 90"

"T, do you want to do it?"

He says "Let's do it."

I didn't even know where the entrance was..we were directed to an "employee only" area behind another ride. The makeshift queue ran all the way from there..thru a closed haunted house.. to an opening with more makeshift line rows.. then out to an area where you waited to get in the actual queu for Mystic Timbers.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT!

Total wait time for us- 3 hours and 17 minutes.

T fell asleep several times in line. We were invested after the first 60 minutes.. we couldn't give up. Neither one of us wanted to give up.

We became BFF's with a group of teens behind us. They're all Disney fans.. one of them is DVC. Awesome! We chatted about Disney. They helped keep T entertained.

Then there was the older guy in front of us.. kept hitting on me. That was annoying and uncomfortable.
But-- when T was complaining about needing a restroom during Hour 2, the annoying guy saved us. He went and asked an employee if T could use a restroom. They let him!! For that I was thankful to him.

We finally boarded the ride well after midnight.

T has been talking about this moment ever since the live announcement back in July. He's been dying to find out "What's in the Shed"..

We go on. It was a fun ride! And then-- the moment we've been waiting for--we arrive at THE SHED!!!!

We find out what's in there.

T says, very loudly, "THAT'S IT?? THAT'S WHAT'S IN THE SHED?!?!"

The people in front of and behind us cracked up laughing.

We did both enjoy the ride though. I told T that someday he will go on this with his own children, and he can tell them that he waited over 3 hours on the night it opened. He didn't appreciate what I was saying, but I know that someday he will. :)

Finally, at 12:23am. We exit the park, and make our way to the car.

Poor employees, the park closed at 10pm. There was at least a hundred people still in line after we went on. Hopefully not all of the employees had to be back in the morning for Opening Day to the general public!

The night ended on a high note.. but at this point I was hoping the Great Wolf Lodge surprise would make up for how it started.
And mostly- I regretted NOT doing Disney..

But not for long..

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom