The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Oh that's so great your son's school was on top of the bullying! Ours has not been. DS has been bullied for YEARS. We thought it was going better last year...he had a teacher that I had actually been warned about that she was not nice and only yelled at the kids and it turned out she was the BEST teacher he had. She was so supportive of him and could really reach him before he had a meltdown and she made sure to come talk to me whenever there was any sort of incident so I would know what happened when DS talked about it. No other teacher ever did that...DS would tell me something and I would have to make an appointment with the teacher to find out what happened. So we LOVED this teacher and she was great with him and he had a great year last year. This year, we weren't even through the first week before I was called in because there were problems, and we tried an after-school program that did not help, and several of the kids who DS THOUGHT were his friends suddenly said they weren't, and he was sitting alone at recess because if he tried to play with the other kids, they ganged up on him and decided to play new games that generally involved kicking a soccer ball as hard as they could at him. And then the new girl arrived and they completely clicked, but she was warned off and when she didn't comply, the kids drew on her gym clothes, took stuff from her desk, pushed her off of playground equipment...it took 6 weeks for them to drive her off and her mom apped me and told me she was so sorry her daughter was not going to be able to play with DS anymore because she was too scared. The school has basically pushed it onto DS...if he acted "normal", the other kids wouldn't target him. So we have to get HIM help so that HE doesn't get bullied instead of ensuring the bullies stop bullying. There was a period towards the end of last year that I was in the school 3 times a week for meetings with teachers and support staff to set up the testing, filling out behavioral questionnaires, writing up step plans for DS's safety at recess, etc. I'm sure you understand all about that and how emotionally exhausting it all is. But you have got it mostly worked out now, correct? So I'm hopeful that once we get the diagnosis, we can get a plan in place and get things moving in the right direction.
Let's not kid ourselves...you are not going to take up napping! :p But I'm glad things are going well, and yay for the knives fulfilling their destiny! I use mine every day...I have basically the same ones. My dad has just given me so many over the years that I've had to parcel them out among friends and family to make sure they have good homes where they won't just sit in a box. I just can't use 40 knives! I have 5 that I use pretty regularly and a couple more in the drawer that rarely see any action. So I'm glad you can get some use out of a few and it's a nice reminder of the trip. Isn't the Poly amazing? Have you ever stayed there? It's now on my bucket list just from seeing the lobby and eating at O'hana (pretty sure I spelled that wrong). I told hubby that we need to win millions in the lottery so we can take a 2 week vacation to Disney every Summer and stay at a different resort every time, starting with the Poly.
Gosh, with all those knives in your possession you would think no one would bully your son. ;)
You are in Wyoming? I am guessing you may not have another school choice? Homeschool?

MySmallWorldof4

Good luck!! I hope you get everything you want! When is your trip? Are you staying on property?
We are there May 19-27. Staying in the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. ROL is the main FP I want. After that SDMT. So today I will be going over our food itinerary so I can make sure I make correct FP's in the right park/area for that day. So very glad I cooked and cleaned yesterday so I can focus. ;) I can already feel my heart beating faster with anticipation. :)

MySmallWorldof4

It is sad. I actually blame the school more because they haven't addressed the situation from the bullying side. They want to see what DS can change about himself so he isn't a target. I look at it from the standpoint that it's not my son's fault. He's not the cause and if it's not him, it will be someone else. I'm all for getting him help for his issues, because it's not fun to live the way he lives, but even if you can "fix" him to where he's just like everyone else (which you can't, and he wouldn't be HIM anymore if you did, so I wouldn't want that) the kids who bully need just as much help to change that behavior. It won't stop until the cost to them is greater than the reward...when they actually get in trouble for doing it and it isn't worth the brief entertainment/power they get. They are only working on one side of it.
It is sad. I actually blame the school more because they haven't addressed the situation from the bullying side. They want to see what DS can change about himself so he isn't a target. I look at it from the standpoint that it's not my son's fault. He's not the cause and if it's not him, it will be someone else. I'm all for getting him help for his issues, because it's not fun to live the way he lives, but even if you can "fix" him to where he's just like everyone else (which you can't, and he wouldn't be HIM anymore if you did, so I wouldn't want that) the kids who bully need just as much help to change that behavior. It won't stop until the cost to them is greater than the reward...when they actually get in trouble for doing it and it isn't worth the brief entertainment/power they get. They are only working on one side of it.
You are conpletely correct! Glad your son has found others he can relate to in the chess group.

Songbird76

Gosh, with all those knives in your possession you would think no one would bully your son. ;)
You are in Wyoming? I am guessing you may not have another school choice? Homeschool?
No, I'm originally from Wyoming, but I live in the Netherlands now. I married a Dutchie. I've thought of going to another school, but there isn't another one within walking distance and I don't have a valid drivers license here, so I have no way to get him to another school. If he has special needs (autism) he might qualify for funding for a taxi to take him. But my DD is in 5th grade now, so she only has one more year of elementary school and then I won't have to worry about going to 2 different schools because she'll be able to ride her bike to whichever high school she chooses. DS is only in 4th grade, so he still has 2 more years. We'll see what comes out of the testing and what they recommend based on that. Maybe I just need the bullies to get an eye full of either my brother or my brother-in-law. They are both about 6'4 and 400 lbs. Who needs knives when you've got giant relatives to intimidate anyone who messes with you?

MySmallWorldof4

I haven't stayed there in YEARS but it was very nice and then some. It's not in the budget with kids:(
Stayed at the Poly once. We had a reservation for POFQ, but got a call saying they needed to rebook us because they were doing a renovation of it. Think this was in '03 because we just had the one DD. For like an extra maybe $20 a night they were offering us the Poly or for our rate another moderate. I jumped at the chance at the Poly. Loved it! But that was the last time we stayed there :(

Songbird76

We are there May 19-27. Staying in the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. ROL is the main FP I want. After that SDMT. So today I will be going over our food itinerary so I can make sure I make correct FP's in the right park/area for that day. So very glad I cooked and cleaned yesterday so I can focus. ;) I can already feel my heart beating faster with anticipation. :)
I was a WRECK trying to do ADRs and then it came time to do the fastpasses and it was so overwhelming! Every blog and article has conflicting advice....one says don't bother with fast passes, just get there before rope drop so you can get on immediately, another says get early morning ones so you can get more fastpasses later in the day, another says it's not worth the fastpasses in the morning because the wait times aren't bad first thing in the morning so it's a waste of a fastpass. I was so confused...and then the whole system...I had to work around the ADRs we had and make sure we had enough time to get to things. In the end, we ended up changing a lot of fastpasses anyway because the lines were not long or because of rain. The only ones we really NEEDED were SDMT, Splash, and Frozen Ever After. Oh, and Soarin' and Test Track. But even those last two, we got to the park early and got right on, so we only needed the fastpasses to do them again. I did Soarin' 5 times and only had 1 fastpass for it. I wish I hadn't stressed myself out so much about it...everything I read made it sound like it was SO hard to get what you wanted and your vacation would be ruined if you didn't get them. In reality, it was all ok and we had a great time and I really needn't have gotten so worked up. I take it this is not your first Disney experience though?

Goofyernmost

I'm just the opposite of you and the others, who want to be awake and "watch" the procedure on the monitors. No thanks!! :eek: I've always been under anesthesia for a colonoscopy, (even though they called it conscious sedation--but I don't remember ever being awake). Just have Dr. Larry knock me out, so I don't see anything!!

The-Three-Stooges-1930s-THE-THREE-STOOGES-1930s-Original-Prop-MALLET-Hammer-3-3.jpg
My motivation is two fold. First, I am curious! I, unfortunately, know what my outsides look like and I have this desire to witness the inner workings as well. I know that really only becomes doable with the digestive and urinary tract systems, but, still I want to see them. I have some sedation, what they call, taking the edge off, but, I have no feeling of being drugged. If I feel any discomfort during the procedure they will pump a little extra in, but, I still have never left one of those sessions feeling that I wasn't completely in control, I still bring a driver and use that just in case.

Second, I have no desire to have that feeling of being drugged. Don't get me wrong, when it comes to dental work or most other things, they cannot numb my mouth enough to make me happy. You would think that being a child of the 60's I would cherish that feeling, but, I hate being out of control. One of my many charming personality traits.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I can't wait to see Beauty and the Beast. My trusted reviewer, Dean Richards as he thinks like me is over the top happy with the live version and pooh poohs the boycotts by the ultra conservative christian groups as reaching at best. He gave it an "A" So excited. See it soon I hope.

We are going to see it this afternoon, I hope it is good after all this advertising hype. I might actually be more excited to see the advertising hype over. I'm also excited for some movie theater popcorn.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Do you get any breaks in the next few months? We just had a week in February and we get 2 weeks in april/May, but I know in Wyoming we got 1 day for Spring break, which usually coincided with Easter and that was the extent of our breaks until Summer. Here, we get lots of random days off, too for inservice and for things like Ascention Day and Whit Sunday. The Spring semester is full of breaks. I'm sorry your 7th graders are a hard bunch...I'm afraid my class was like that, and I'm sorry to say that I don't think a lot of maturing happened until everyone was already out of college. I would invest in some strong drinks and chocolate to get you through the most stressful days. Perhaps you could convince your husband to study Massage? ;) But hopefully you will have a few breaks coming up to get you through until Summer. I'll check out your trip report! I never finished mine...it was so overwhelming!
The chess is so great for DS. He's only been there twice, but it cracked hubby and I both up when we got there. There was another kid who was new, and DS and this kid had to be there early to meet the instructors and such and neither of them could stand still. (DS has a habit of pacing when he's talking) They both chattered away as they walked around the room and down the hallway and back and forth across the room, and back out to the hallway, etc. And then hubby points at the other kid, playing with the neck of his t-shirt just like DS does. It was like watching clones who don't look alike. Hilarious, but sooooo nice to see he found someone he could really relate to and they were so excited to see each other the next time. But as more kids trickled in, it was obvious that almost all of them are a bit awkward socially, just like DS, so I think it's really his milieu. I think he's found his niche.

We don't have an official Spring Break this year, our school does it every other year. We did have a Friday off the first week in March, I guess to compensate for our two late nights of parent-teacher conferences so that is why hubs and I took a quick trip to WDW. I also took my other personal day to extend the weekend. Also this year we have Good Friday off (as always) but also Easter Monday (which we don't always have off, so I am taking a solo trip to Disneyland. I'm being a bad pastor's wife and skipping Easter at our church this year. Perhaps I might find a service out there, but it might be tricky as I won't have a car and I would have to give up park time.

Songbird76

We don't have an official Spring Break this year, our school does it every other year. We did have a Friday off the first week in March, I guess to compensate for our two late nights of parent-teacher conferences so that is why hubs and I took a quick trip to WDW. I also took my other personal day to extend the weekend. Also this year we have Good Friday off (as always) but also Easter Monday (which we don't always have off, so I am taking a solo trip to Disneyland. I'm being a bad pastor's wife and skipping Easter at our church this year. Perhaps I might find a service out there, but it might be tricky as I won't have a car and I would have to give up park time.
Ah, see that Easter Monday was our Spring break. We got Good Friday off and then the Monday was our Spring Break, so we had a 4 day weekend. Here we get both off. I wish I had the guts to do a solo trip, but I really don't. Even trips I go on where I fly by myself, I meet someone at the other end. I can't imagine traveling by myself.
Have a great trip!! You could probably find a cab if you wanted to catch a service for Easter, but that would limit park time. Have fun, whatever you decide to do.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Ah, see that Easter Monday was our Spring break. We got Good Friday off and then the Monday was our Spring Break, so we had a 4 day weekend. Here we get both off. I wish I had the guts to do a solo trip, but I really don't. Even trips I go on where I fly by myself, I meet someone at the other end. I can't imagine traveling by myself.
Have a great trip!! You could probably find a cab if you wanted to catch a service for Easter, but that would limit park time. Have fun, whatever you decide to do.

When I was in school as a student we never had a spring break week, it was always Good Friday and Easter Monday. It wasn't until college that we had a Spring Break, it was a new experience, not that I went anywhere until my last two spring breaks. And even those were pretty tame.

I was really nervous the first time I did a solo trip, mostly for safety. I don't mind doing stuff on my own. I'm thinking if there is an Easter service offered at the Disneyland Hotel, I might go because then I could pair it with Trader Sam's Tiki Bar. But I don't know if they do that there, if I was at WDW I know there would be a service at one of the resorts.

Songbird76

When I was in school as a student we never had a spring break week, it was always Good Friday and Easter Monday. It wasn't until college that we had a Spring Break, it was a new experience, not that I went anywhere until my last two spring breaks. And even those were pretty tame.

I was really nervous the first time I did a solo trip, mostly for safety. I don't mind doing stuff on my own. I'm thinking if there is an Easter service offered at the Disneyland Hotel, I might go because then I could pair it with Trader Sam's Tiki Bar. But I don't know if they do that there, if I was at WDW I know there would be a service at one of the resorts.
I have a TERRIBLE sense of direction, and I'd be sure to get myself lost if I went by myself. Plus, I like having someone to share the experience with. My first Spring break, I stayed at college in the dorms and watched Clueless and Tank Girl over and over and over with my roommate. The next year, my boyfriend and our best friend and I drove down to Arizona to meet some friends from an online MUD we played. That was fantastic, though I wanted to do the Grand Canyon and they had both seen it and didn't want to take the time, so we didn't. But it was a fun trip and we saw Bryce Canyon and some sites around Page Arizona, and the Sedona forest. So beautiful. The next year might have been the one I took a greyhound up to Vancouver to visit a friend, but I don't remember. I never did the partying thing for Spring Break. I've never been a big drinker, and I have always been a bit of a prude when it comes to showing my body or flirting with random guys I don't know. So there was never much appeal for me in that kind of a trip. If I'm spending money on traveling, I want to remember it, and I want to see historical sites and people I love and such...not a bunch of scantily clad strangers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom