deleted

Phroobar

I don't think anyone is saying that going the first time should "entitle" anyone to anything. The bigger picture is that nobody should have to wait 3-5 hours of their day sitting on a curb (or anywhere else) just to see the parade.
Everyone is acting like the entire curb space is taken up 3-5 hours before the parade. This is never the case. I've never seen anyone sitting on the curbs three hours early. They might be there an hour early but three is an exaggeration. The parade route curbs might fill up an hour before at the latest on a busy day. I don't really understand the problem. I've shown up for the parade as it starts to pass and can see it standing behind people. I've stood in the back with the kids on my shoulders. If you really want to see the parades up close, they are not that hard to see if you know where to go and can wait half hour to 45 minutes at most.

Stevek

Everyone is acting like the entire curb space is taken up 3-5 hours before the parade. This is never the case. I've never seen anyone sitting on the curbs three hours early. They might be there an hour early but three is an exaggeration. The parade route curbs might fill up an hour before at the latest on a busy day. I don't really understand the problem. I've shown up for the parade as it starts to pass and can see it standing behind people. I've stood in the back with the kids on my shoulders. If you really want to see the parades up close, they are not that hard to see if you know where to go and can wait half hour to 45 minutes at most.
It's not the entire space that early but two Saturday's ago, there were people camped on the benches and curbs, with blankets marking out their spots, 3 hours prior to the electrical parade. Absolute 100% fact. We tried to see PTN on a Wed, off season November, 2 hours prior to the show the entire curbside along main street was packed 2-3 deep. I have yet to be able to walk up 1 hour before the show and get a curb spot. It's clear that Disney feels it's a problem which is why they've apparently set this 1 hour prior to show rule.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I will never wait 3-5 hours for a parade. Ever. No one on vacation will.

Apers don't want it to be fair, they want to be able to come into the parks for dollars a day and sit on the curb clogging the park all day with their three boxes of Beauty and the Beast cups they plan on selling on Ebay for a 300% mark up.

APers can whine and complain all they want. But the truth is, they just can't handle leveling the playing field, and they are a HUGE reason why the parks are becoming unmanageable.

Disney Analyst

Apers don't want it to be fair, they want to be able to come into the parks for dollars a day and sit on the curb clogging the park all day with their three boxes of Beauty and the Beast cups they plan on selling on Ebay for a 300% mark up.

APers can whine and complain all they want. But the truth is, they just can't handle leveling the playing field, and they are a HUGE reason why the parks are becoming unmanageable.

Completely agree. It's the "me me me" entitlement attitude.

Travel Junkie

Most AP holders are not that entitled. A few ruin the reputation for everyone.

I'm not a parade person, but I enjoy hanging out in parts of the park and people watch. It is one of the advantages of having an AP and many do enjoy the people watching while waiting for the parade. A few though have indeed ruined it for everyone. Personally I am fine with the new policy and hope they enforce it. And I disagree that AP holders want things to be unfair. AP's have certain inherent advantages and that is just the way it is. They are also by definition the company's most loyal customers and are more likely to be customers of Disney's other products which makes them valuable to Disney. So for Disney and AP holders it is a win win. Disneyland is in better shape than WDW in part because those whiny AP's hold Disney to a certain standard.

The cost of the parks have really taken a lot of the enjoyment out things for occasional visitor because they feel they have to make the investment worthwhile by cramming as much as they can. I certainly do that when I visit other theme parks.

It's Disney's fault the merch sells out so fast and it is an easy fix. Limited merchandise requires a ticket bar code scan and there is a max of 2 per ticket whether you have an AP or 1 day ticket. Disney chooses not to just like most companies choose not to limit these types of purchases. It creates buzz and exclusivity. I don't partake in this practice with Disney merch, but I don't blame people that do and I do make money by buying low and selling high so to speak with other products. It's a way to make money just like a number of other ways and honestly it doesn't require much other than time. There are a ton of side hustles out there that work along the same lines and a lot of people make 6 figures per year buying and reselling. Call it what you want but it is a way to make a living for some.

Curious Constance

Most AP holders are not that entitled. A few ruin the reputation for everyone.

I'm not a parade person, but I enjoy hanging out in parts of the park and people watch. It is one of the advantages of having an AP and many do enjoy the people watching while waiting for the parade. A few though have indeed ruined it for everyone. Personally I am fine with the new policy and hope they enforce it. And I disagree that AP holders want things to be unfair. AP's have certain inherent advantages and that is just the way it is. They are also by definition the company's most loyal customers and are more likely to be customers of Disney's other products which makes them valuable to Disney. So for Disney and AP holders it is a win win. Disneyland is in better shape than WDW in part because those whiny AP's hold Disney to a certain standard.

The cost of the parks have really taken a lot of the enjoyment out things for occasional visitor because they feel they have to make the investment worthwhile by cramming as much as they can. I certainly do that when I visit other theme parks.

It's Disney's fault the merch sells out so fast and it is an easy fix. Limited merchandise requires a ticket bar code scan and there is a max of 2 per ticket whether you have an AP or 1 day ticket. Disney chooses not to just like most companies choose not to limit these types of purchases. It creates buzz and exclusivity. I don't partake in this practice with Disney merch, but I don't blame people that do and I do make money by buying low and selling high so to speak with other products. It's a way to make money just like a number of other ways and honestly it doesn't require much other than time. There are a ton of side hustles out there that work along the same lines and a lot of people make 6 figures per year buying and reselling. Call it what you want but it is a way to make a living for some.
Of course I realize not all AP holders have this attitude. Does it have to be all of them to be annoyed at the ones who are entitled?

Travel Junkie

Of course I realize not all AP holders have this attitude. Does it have to be all of them to be annoyed at the ones who are entitled?

That's fine, but it really is a very low percentage. I find the WDW crowd which is mostly tourists to be more entitled generally speaking and behave much worse than those at DLR. The majority of DLR AP holders have a great love for the park and treat it with a ton of respect.

The staking out of spots happens at every park, including Tokyo where they have rules against it. I've seen hundreds of people in Tokyo running at rope drop to stake out places for a show that won't begin for 5 hours. This is not an AP problem, it is a Disney parks are crowded problem.

Californian Elitist

Let's be serious now... Both annual passholders AND "regular guests" can be entitled. Some annual passholders feel like they own the park and some regular guests feel like since they can't come as often as annual passholders, some things should change because they can't enjoy their trips to the fullest. This is a two-way street here.

Bandini

I think the AP attitude of entitlement is the reason they are called Pass Holes by the CM's.

mikenatcity1

Sadly, I waited 3.5 hours for Paint the Night on vacation (530pm, the parade rolled by me at 905pm). This was at the advice of an APer- and thankfully they did- shortly after we got to our spot, every spot around was filled (and we weren't on the curb- we were already 1 back). The location was the tip board...will I again? Never...but unfortunately that's the way it goes in DL- I was shocked to see how people wait (but I have to remember the mentality of Disneyland is very different for residents vs visitors, much like Cedar Point for me).

amjt660

Premium Member
That's fine, but it really is a very low percentage. I find the WDW crowd which is mostly tourists to be more entitled generally speaking and behave much worse than those at DLR. The majority of DLR AP holders have a great love for the park and treat it with a ton of respect.

The staking out of spots happens at every park, including Tokyo where they have rules against it. I've seen hundreds of people in Tokyo running at rope drop to stake out places for a show that won't begin for 5 hours. This is not an AP problem, it is a Disney parks are crowded problem.
I saw the Tokyo camping out in December first hand.
In the park at 8:20am , people setting up camp around the hub for a 12:30pm parade.

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom