deleted

rle4lunch

When I was a kid I had the story record to the Black Hole. I think I memorized most of the movie lines and can still recite them back to you. I'm still working on my Black Hole action figure collection. The figures are really expensive on the open market. $40 for any of the humans and $100-200 for Vincent and Max. Old Bob goes for about $1200 while the humanoid with the cobra commander face plate is upwards of $10K. Crazy prices.

woof. no thanks. all my collectables have ended up in moving boxes over the years, so I just stopped buying stuff to save space and money.

Phroobar

No one called CPS on your mom??
I had a lot of movie story records. I can recite Star Wars ANH, Star Trek 2 & 3, Disney's Robin Hood and the Rescuers, the Haunted Mansion and POTC ride albums among many more. Funny I could never remember my spelling words though.

D

Deleted member 107043

The figures are really expensive on the open market. $40 for any of the humans and $100-200 for Vincent and Max. Old Bob goes for about $1200 while the humanoid with the cobra commander face plate is upwards of $10K. Crazy prices.

Nice to know I'm not the only crazy person who liked the movie lol.

D

Deleted member 107043

FWIW someone posted on Reddit that they witnessed the restriction on parade camping yesterday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Disneyland...nfirm_new_disneyland_parade_policy_in_action/

Quote from a commenter claiming to be a DL cast member:

"Cast member here. we were given some explanation beforehand which was basically that the people saved spots are historically AP or SoCal residents with easy access to the park. this policy was made to accommodate foreign visitors that this may be a once in a lifetime visit. everyone now gets equal chance to find a good spot for that parade. if you dont like the new policy, wait for the second parade and you are guaranteed a good spot. guests are now encouraged to enjoy the park and the coughshopscough.'

Stevek

Please let this be a permanent thing for all parades at DLR.

http://micechat.com/153791-saving-seats-electrical-parade-thing-past/
I got all sorts of grief from people on the MC facebook page when they posted this news...not from the MC crew, they kinda agreed with me. I think it's long overdue and hope that Disney truly enforces this tightly.

Fans think you should be rewarded for the dedication of waiting 3+ hours on a curb...a sampling of the responses to me:

"Yeah, how dare they prioritize doing what they most want to do. It's only fair that those unwilling or without the dedication to wait should get to grab a spot without the effort they had."

"Then they obviously don't want to see it as bad, why punish those willing to wait?"

"That's why it was nice that one person could make that sacrifice for their family. I was happy to wait hours while daddy took the girls on ride or wait with my baby while he took my older daughter. Yea I missed out on those rides but I was working hard to create more magic. You deserve what your work and sacrifice for."

MY RESPONSE:

My point is that the family that literally is here once or twice in their life should not have to wait 3-5 hours to see a parade and miss spending quality time enjoying the other park experiences. It's very well known within the CM ranks that one of the biggest problems has always been AP's (and I'm a 12+ year AP) that camp out, whether that's for a parade or fantasmic. I'm really struggling to understand why anyone feels that not allowing folks to camp out is a bad thing. Everyone still has the same opportunity to see the parade.

Kiwiduck

Nothing would make me happier than if they followed through on this, it is for me the most annoying thing about Disneyland. In December I sat near a group of people who literally mocked a young family for not knowing they should have been waiting for ages for the Christmas parade. Not only is it exclusionary of those who cant give up hours of their limited vacation time to sit on a kerb or bench but the blankets and other space saving items spread all over the parade route ruins the atmosphere.

Phroobar

Going to the parks for the first time does not entitle you to see the parade from a curb over anyone else in the park. You just have to be smarter than everyone else. My experience with the parade is if you want to see it, you need to know where to go to see it with minimum wait. The small world area light magic stands are a great place to see any parade with almost no wait. I typically stand by the small world backstage gates and get curb side viewing ten minutes before.

Stevek

Going to the parks for the first time does not entitle you to see the parade from a curb over anyone else in the park. You just have to be smarter than everyone else. My experience with the parade is if you want to see it, you need to know where to go to see it with minimum wait. The small world area light magic stands are a great place to see any parade with almost no wait. I typically stand by the small world backstage gates and get curb side viewing ten minutes before.
I don't think anyone is saying that going the first time should "entitle" anyone to anything. The bigger picture is that nobody should have to wait 3-5 hours of their day sitting on a curb (or anywhere else) just to see the parade.

Kiwiduck

In theory the new system should mean that everyone, new and old, local and "foreign" has the same chance to see the parades and more time to do other things in the park. Looking forward to hearing more about how it works in practice.

Figments Friend

The best spot I have watched a Disneyland parade to date is from within a magical 'between space' located on Main Street - the corner by the Magic Shop that is only roped off right before the parade reaches the hub by Sleeping Beauty Castle.

When the Parades are scheduled to start out of the gate by Small World, before the floats begin traversing Main Street itself a small area of the circle in Town Square is roped off for Guest viewing.
Most Guests are not aware of this part of the street becoming a viewing area until the last possible minute and instead fight over the curb space in that area hours beforehand.
That curb space becomes worthless once that rope goes up however.
:cat:

I discovered this one night when I was standing on the corner by the Magic Shop waiting for the parade, in this case 'Paint The Night'.
I knew that stretch of road was usually roped off, but didn't realize until then how 'late' it actually gets strung across.
So I patiently waited all of maybe five minutes before Cast started prepping to put the rope across.
I was ready for it.

Sure enough, once the Parade was about to enter the hub, the rope went up and I stepped onto the street directly behind it.
Others noticed that now this was suddenly a viewing area, and within a couple of minutes the spaces were filled.
It pays to pay attention to your surroundings and be observant of Park procedures.
:happy:

I now had a front row view , straight down Main Street with the Castle setting the scene perfectly.
Since the Parade was coming from the Small World gate, it came straight at me and then went around Town Square...giving you another look before it passed beyond the Main Street gate.
Just a great spot!

This is a fantastic spot to be for not only seeing the Parades and performers up close and personal, but also makes for spectacular photography opportunities.
The fact one only had to wait five minutes for a front row spot was all the more appealing.

-

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I'm personally a big fan of the elevated veranda overlooking Town Square at the Main Street Depot. The view of Main Street, the Castle and Matterhorn are superb. Not a great location if your goal is to be close to the floats though.

mickEblu

Well It worked great tonight! Got off BTM and walked over to the curb in front of Candy Palace with a group of 7 at about 7:55 pm (parade started at 8:45pm) and we all sat right on the curb. Granted, it's a Wednesday night and we saw the second showing.

Side Note: The security area near Mickey and Friends was abysmal today. They had like 6 of the 10 tents running and crowds were reaching the escalators. Literally almost a hazard with folks blocking the escalator exit. We ended up walking and going through security at down town Disney. I'm wondering, were they not prepared for these kind of crowds on a Wednesday? It was a beautiful day and one of the first ones after a few weeks of ugly/ cold/ wet weather so I'm guessing some impromptu visitors showed up but I can't understand why they wouldn't use all the tents.

Anyway, the parks weren't too crowed but judging by that security area I was thinking we were in for some peak season weekend crowds.

Last edited:

mickEblu

OH yes....the elevated area at the Depot is always a great spot.
I have seen several day parades from there.
It's like you are sitting in a performance theater balcony box....watching from above.

-

I asked about that area tonight and a CM told me that they think I have to reserve that spot at City Hall? Is that true?

Figments Friend

Not unless things have changed since I was there at Disneyland last year, but things are always changing it seems these days with all the new 'Dining Package' additions.

This is a area of Main Street itself....on the actual street, not on the sidewalk by it or a space roped off in advance.
This section of the circle becomes a makeshift Guest viewing area a few moments before the Parade enters the hub from the other end of the Park.
Right before the first float hits Main Street proper, the rope goes up and the area then becomes a viewing spot.
Last time I stood in this spot was in September of last year.
I have stood here during day parades over the years as well.

This is a part of the actual circle of road that is graced by the Main Street Train Depot, City Hall, and the Opera House.
One section of the actual street, on the corner by the Magic Shop, is roped off right before the Parade begins its trek from Sleeping Beauty Castle to exit through the Main Street gate.

The Parade travels down Main Street then turns right to follow the circle of road around Town Square.
If it turned left, it would get to the exit gate a lot faster but it would cross over where this viewing area is I am talking about.
This area of the street itself is not roped off far enough in advance to allow for seating or reserved spots...but of course this may have changed.

Last I was aware, this is public space anyone can access right up until the first float unit reaches this zoning area.

-

Last edited:

drizgirl

So happy they are trying to do something about this. I doubt they will be good at enforcing it long term but I can hope, right?

I wonder what happens when the people sitting on benches start learning to answer no when asked if they are waiting for the parade.

They probably didn't need to go this far with it though. All they had to do was start saying you could only sit on a blanket big enough to hold yourself. Letting one person hold spots for 10-15 was just nuts.

Bandini

FWIW someone posted on Reddit that they witnessed the restriction on parade camping yesterday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Disneyland...nfirm_new_disneyland_parade_policy_in_action/

Quote from a commenter claiming to be a DL cast member:

"Cast member here. we were given some explanation beforehand which was basically that the people saved spots are historically AP or SoCal residents with easy access to the park. this policy was made to accommodate foreign visitors that this may be a once in a lifetime visit. everyone now gets equal chance to find a good spot for that parade. if you dont like the new policy, wait for the second parade and you are guaranteed a good spot. guests are now encouraged to enjoy the park and the coughshopscough.'
I am so happy about this! I don't think people should be allowed to camp out for hours before the parade to hold spots for a large group. As the CM said, the AP's have a chance to see the parade on multiple occasions, but there are a lot of one time or rare visitors. It's a shame that a person who rarely visits has to camp for hours and lose valuable ride time, if they want to see the parade.

I remember the Mad T Party at DCA. I tried watching it once, but there were a bunch of groupies jammed up at the front of the stage, who knew every word and movement in the show. It reminded me of the old Rocky Horror Picture Show vibe. But with the Mad T Party, families were shut out. Not a good thing IMO. I wonder if that's the reason they closed the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom