News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Let me make sure I am understanding correctly:
So are you saying guests exiting the gondola will have already gone through security/bag screening and can go directly to the turnstiles?

If not, and those guests do have to go through security, I could see it being done like this:
View attachment 192114
I envisage the gondolas to be within the sterile zone, as the monorails will be.

P_Radden

I envisage the gondolas to be within the sterile zone, as the monorails will be.
This is very interesting.. But I wonder about about DHS gondola station as It is well beyond the current security area...

Also this would mean security check points at every gondola/monorail station on ramp or entry side, but direct guest departure to park turnstiles.. So I wonder if they will have specific routes for those guests to bypass the security checkpoints at Epcot and MK

Creathir

100% agree.

Build it out that way instead of adapting after the fact.

Also allows for gondolas to travel over secure zones without risk of someone dropping something into the secure zone.

Also, in general, the gondolas are a much more soft target than the monorails or other transportation options.

A single explosion in a gondola takes out the entire haul line, potentially killing/injuring hundreds of people as they fall.

These things will have to be behind security screening.

P_Radden

The one you extended is security and ticket booths, the one to the right is the turnstile. If they decide to push security out to the resorts for the gondola and boats they could move the walkup security to where circled in blue and then that would open up more room for turnstiles.

View attachment 192100

Okay, sorry for the confusion (no coffee today :/ ) I understand the plan now. Dan, what do you think about this concept?
ig3.png

MCast

Okay, sorry for the confusion (no coffee today :/ ) I understand the plan now. Dan, what do you think about this concept?
View attachment 192136

I personally have a hard time believing that the ferry will be drop people off beyond the IG security checkpoint. That would effectively mean there would need to be security checkpoints at the BW, Y&BC, S&D, and DHS' ferry launches.

truecoat

100% agree.

Also allows for gondolas to travel over secure zones without risk of someone dropping something into the secure zone.

Also, in general, the gondolas are a much more soft target than the monorails or other transportation options.

A single explosion in a gondola takes out the entire haul line, potentially killing/injuring hundreds of people as they fall.

No, there are cable brakes to stop all the cars from falling. Worst case, a few would fall and only if the cable was severed.

lazyboy97o

100% agree.

The secure zones can't stop an armed drone.

Creathir

No, there are cable brakes to stop all the cars from falling. Worst case, a few would fall and only if the cable was severed.
If that cable is severed, there are going to be a lot of folks hurt.

I believe the brakes prevent slide back to prevent them from slamming back into the station.

If the line holding the weight is severed in some fashion, the gondolas will fall.

bhg469

Well i decided to stop by in the middle of a dark conversation.... Nothing could be worse than the burger I tried to eat at electric umbrella last week. Got lucky and had free admission to the parks from a friend and decided to sort of take a peak how this might look in the park and it seems interesting. I really have my doubts that this will look nice. I just dont see how they can make the towers and cables look like they fit anywhere.

Creathir

I don't think a bomb would be powerful enough to Destroy the cable though, it might cause significant damage to the inside of the Gondola, but probably minor damage to the cable.

That is true. It likely would just damage the gondola itself, it really depends on what was used.

Whatever the case, putting them behind the security screen seems like the most prudent thing to do.

P_Radden

When discussing the next phase of the transportation system overhaul, we have tossed around the concept of connecting the western resorts and AK to the center of WDW via some sort or rail system (automated?). This system would have to be elevated in some areas (mainly around World Drive interchange) so this would explain the height balloons seen at Fantasia Gardens. Additionally, this rail system would have to connect via a transfer center to Epcot and DHS. I see this all potentially happening near the Boardwalk "v" of the gondola.

Here is a new concept map fresh out of MS paint (5th grade computer skills FTW) explaining these ideas:
westWay.png

• Some sort of rail system with CSR possibly having a loop.
  • The transfer station could feature an express Friendship Boat dock to service EPCOT/DHS
  • This system would link AK to AKL
  • Other stops would be Blizzard Beach and an All Star Resorts station

Last edited:

The real rescueranger

When discussing the next phase of the transportation system overhaul, we have tossed around the concept of connecting the western resorts and AK to the center of WDW via some sort or rail system (automated?). This system would have to be elevated in some areas (mainly around World Drive interchange) so this would explain the height balloons seen at Fantasia Gardens. Additionally, this rail system would have to connect via a transfer center to Epcot and DHS. I see this all potentially happening near the Boardwalk "v" of the gondola.

Here is a new concept map fresh out of MS paint (5th grade computer skills FTW) explaining these ideas:
View attachment 192138
  • Some sort of rail system with CBR possibly having a loop.
  • The transfer station could feature an express Friendship Boat dock to service EPCOT/DHS
You mean CSR not CBR right?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

View attachment 192138

The line of sight balloons were for a possible Swolphin tower there. If they were for an elevated train, they would have had line of sight balloons along the entire route of whatever new system this may be.

jt04

View attachment 192138

You could add a station for your light rail near RnRC. No need to access the long loop to dhs then on the gondola.

I talked about light rail to dak as you depict many years ago. Very efficient, safe and clean.

truecoat

I believe the brakes prevent slide back to prevent them from slamming back into the station.

If the line holding the weight is severed in some fashion, the gondolas will fall.

Again, there are brakes on the supports so only the cars on a severed cable area would fall not the whole line.

NormC

Only the gondolas between the two towers where the cut happens.

MCast

The line of sight balloons were for a possible Swolphin tower there. If they were for an elevated train, they would have had line of sight balloons along the entire route of whatever new system this may be.

Swolphin tower? Hopefully it's not another enormous, green triangle (or any other geometric shape) obstructing Epcot's skyline...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom