2016 Christmas Week Phase Closing watch

donsullivan

Premium Member
It happens every year. It is being resolved it just takes a while to get all those cars out.
I've been here on NYE every year for the last 12 years and it has never once been anything like this. Absolutely nothing has moved for over an hour. Now we're starting to get arguments between drivers in the lot

This is not normal congestion. Absolutely nothing is moving at all.

stini228

Whole lotta red..

image.png

Rider

I've been here on NYE every year for the last 12 years and it has never once been anything like this. Absolutely nothing has moved for over an hour. Now we're starting to get arguments between drivers in the lot

No its always like that for the center lots. Four giant lots and only two lanes. Just rode the monorail over and the West lots are clear with no problems. The far middle lots are mostly empty too. It's the close lots with issues:
IMG_0301.JPG

Disney-Trains

Listened to the band at Grand Floridian till 11:15, monorail to MK, walked right in, backstage bypass to tomorrowland, then over to seven dwarves bridge. Great spot... The 360 was an Awesome effect, could see the double fireworks perfect.

After hopped on 7 dwarves with a 30 minute stand by wait, then people mover, and left the park about 1:15, bus to Pop century was a 40 minute wait at that point. Bus took the back detour (western way) and we were back about 2:50. Not bad!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

What time did you finally get out?

Unfortunately there always appears to be very little parking assistance on getting out after these big events.

donsullivan

Premium Member
What time did you finally get out?

Unfortunately there always appears to be very little parking assistance on getting out after these big events.
I finally got,out of the lot at 2:55am. There were no wrecks at all despite early reports. Disney just completely blew it and did not mange the traffic flow out of the lot at all. I've gone to NYE at Epcot the last 12 years and this is the worst I've ever seen it. Disney really dropped the ball on this mess; there is no excuse for not being prepared to keep this moving.

Bandini

I finally got,out of the lot at 2:55am. There were no wrecks at all despite early reports. Disney just completely blew it and did not mange the traffic flow out of the lot at all. I've gone to NYE at Epcot the last 12 years and this is the worst I've ever seen it. Disney really dropped the ball on this mess; there is no excuse for not being prepared to keep this moving.
There may be no excuse, but there is a reason: saving money.

culturenthrills

This was my 3rd time doing NYE at Epcot in the last 10 years and last night the traffic problem was nuts. We got to our car at 1:20 am and after about 20 minutes we just put our seats back and fell asleep. Woke up an hour later and the cars in our area had finally cleared out. But still heavy traffic on the roads getting out, We actually went to World Drive to 192 to get out because the other way was still bumper to bumper. It was never that bad before. It felt like Disney didn't properly staff it. But they had plenty of parking people and police directing traffic by the time we left. Also don't know if the contruction on Epcot Center Dr may have contributed to the problems too.

Delgado

All I heard from cast members last night is that they were under staffed. You had an issue they couldn't do anything about it. I still think they handed out the black hats for people to use as a puke bucket. Yes I saw this, pretty clever of Disney. Despite it was a good night but disappointing how Disney handled the crowds.

donsullivan

Premium Member
All I heard from cast members last night is that they were under staffed. You had an issue they couldn't do anything about it. I still think they handed out the black hats for people to use as a puke bucket. Yes I saw this, pretty clever of Disney. Despite it was a good night but disappointing how Disney handled the crowds.

I didn't really see any issues with crowd flow management in the park other than just the volume of people. Everything seemed to be moving along smoothly getting from place to place from what I could see and experienced personally. The lines for everything were kind of crazy which is pretty normal but it all seemed to move along pretty well. As for the alternate use of the hats, I can't say i experienced anything like you described. While unfortunate, you'll never put that many people together, with alcohol available on NYE and not have at least some of that.

As to the statement that they couldn't do anything about the parking mess; I'm not sure I agree there. They have ways to modify the flow of traffic out of the lots when they get congested like this but they did not put anyone out in the lot to trigger those plans. Once they finally got someone in place to enact the plan, the traffic started flowing almost immediately but they took way to long to react and take the necessary actions to do so. Guests who know where this bypass lane is, started reversing direction in the lot out of frustration and heading toward it themselves because Disney was taking no action.

Luxe

Last year I made the mistake of parking in the Epcot lot. We didn't move for two hours. It has definitely been just as bad in prior years.

Luxe

Also, I believe last year they stopped traffic on all lots and opened them one by one to let the traffic out. Not sure if that's what they did this year but that's how it went last year.

disney4life2008

Also, I believe last year they stopped traffic on all lots and opened them one by one to let the traffic out. Not sure if that's what they did this year but that's how it went last year.

I think so. But also common sense should tell people that are complaining today about parking that 3 parks celebrated nye. And like by 1230am,everyone was leaving at the same time. Common sense would say that it would take no less than 2 hours to get even remotely out of there.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I don't know when you typically leave, but I attended NYE 2010 through 2012 and it was the same all those years. Nothing in the lot moves for hours.

TimeTrip

I'm sure a big reason getting out of Epcot was extra awful this year is the boneheaded decision to reduce Epcot center drive east to 2 lanes before the exit for BVD. I have no idea why they have it set up that way for now. Now those going to BVD have to squeeze into the 2 lanes then back over to the 3rd for the exit.

Every busy night at epcot is a mess because of this, and they still haven't fixed it. Have they?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom