Pre-Trip The "we're big fat liars who couldn't stay away for even six months" pre-trip report

Greetings from New Jersey! It's me, Bee, your favorite opera singing vegetarian lesbian on WDW Magic!

For an idea of my Disney style, you can check some of my previous TRs. You can also read a bit about my wife, M (my traveling companion and favorite person in the whole world) and me:

Flowers, Family, and ??Fireworks?? (and lots of FOOD): A Memorial Week Trip Report
Yes, we're a little crazy! Our trip to the 20th Annual Beer and Heat Festival
Ex-Floridians take on Walt Disney World during summer
A February Drinking Around the World, Resort-Hopping Disneymoon!

At the end of my last report I reported on our plans not to renew our APs and not to go back to WDW for awhile. As we looked at the calendar for the rest of the year and considered holiday travel plans, it became apparent that it is going to be difficult-to-impossible to travel to see family for Christmas due to the timing of things this year. On a whim I checked the Southwest fares for around Thanksgiving, and there was a really good deal on direct flights to Florida. ORLANDO, Florida.

You do the math. Two Disney Freak Ex-Floridians plus cheap Southwest flights to Orlando plus a few days off from work equals…

We’re going back!

The best deal was for Wednesday-Monday (and that gives us a little buffer in case of delays, severe weather, etc.). I’m off Wednesday anyway and can take off Monday, and M can take off both days. Since we’re flying to/from Orlando, it’s only logical that we spend time at Disney at the beginning and end of our trip!

Before any of you get your hopes up on our behalf and imagine us drinking around the world and riding Frozen and New Soarin’, know that we do not intend to purchase park tickets. We went through various options including one day Epcot tickets, one day Hoppers, and multi-day Hoppers. But the cost of a one day peak ticket is JUST SO MUCH. And once we start talking multi-day tickets, I start talking AP upgrades, and it’s like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Or If You Give These Disney Obsessed Lesbians Park Tickets. We’ll be tempted to go on multiple weekend trips for every little occasion like we did last year. We’ll want to get a TiW card. We’ll start booking dessert parties. WHO KNOWS where this could lead???

So in the end, we have decided this will be a no-parks trip. But it will be a resort-hopping, trying new things, relaxing together trip!! After all, there is SO MUCH to do outside of the parks, and as many times as we’ve been we haven’t done it all! Stay tuned for some specific plans.

Tag time, in no particular order, for both those who requested a tag and those who have followed along in the past and might be interested. If I left you out I apologize, and if you don't want to follow I take no offense. @ScarletBegonias @MinnieM123 @Tuvalu @figmentfan423 @dclfan @betty rose @Ciara @FlaggNL @C.FERNIE @sheriffwoody @LisaBelle @21stamps @Tiggerish @samantha788 @Tony the Tigger @fractal @lostpro9het @Doc Disney @WDW74 @jrogue @BuddyThomas @TheMouseFan @DisneyShe @ajrwdwgirl @docdebbi @Mickey2422 @WDWDarling @Mindy16 @minnie2000 @littleroo @disneypearl @Tom @maelstrom98 @Beastly74 @wdisney9000

bee

Original Poster
Too bad the park tickets didn't work out, but your trip will still be full of fun! So many exciting events to look forward to! Happy Anniversary! Jealous you get to see Hamilton. My daughter and I are anxiously awaiting the PBS documentary about Hamilton. Have a blast!
Did you watch the documentary, @LisaBelle? M and I definitely enjoyed it! Only eight days until we see Hamilton live in Chicago!!!

LisaBelle

Did you watch the documentary, @LisaBelle? M and I definitely enjoyed it! Only eight days until we see Hamilton live in Chicago!!!
Yes! We loved the documentary. I learned so much about history and the evolution of the show. My husband asked us what we were watching & he made a "well I don't care about that" kind of a face o_O, but he sat down and watched most of it with us :)! Makes me want to see the show even more. Can't wait to hear your thoughts after seeing it in Chicago! Enjoy!

bee

Original Poster
IMG_7810.JPG

bee

Original Poster
Welp...we were supposed to be currently on a plane to Chicago for our anniversary trip, but because of the runway incident (google it if you haven't heard yet) our flight was delayed and delayed and delayed some more and finally canceled. So I'm on line at the southwest ticket desk waiting to find out about being rebooked. :(

At least we have travel insurance and will get reimbursed for the first hotel night!

bee

Original Poster
Sorry your flight got cancelled! Sending pixie dust your way in hopes that you will be on your way to Chicago as soon as possible! Good luck!
Thank you! There was nothing into Chicago until evening so tomorrow morning we are flying into...Milwaukee! We are still trying to figure out how we'll get from MKE to Chicago whether it be a rental car or a shuttle of some sort or WHAT. At the moment we are headed to a hotel near LGA so we don't have to go all the way back to Jersey tonight and then all the way back to LGA in the morning.

TRAVEL INSURANCE!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

LisaBelle

Thank you! There was nothing into Chicago until evening so tomorrow morning we are flying into...Milwaukee! We are still trying to figure out how we'll get from MKE to Chicago whether it be a rental car or a shuttle of some sort or WHAT. At the moment we are headed to a hotel near LGA so we don't have to go all the way back to Jersey tonight and then all the way back to LGA in the morning.

TRAVEL INSURANCE!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:
Good luck!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Welp...we were supposed to be currently on a plane to Chicago for our anniversary trip, but because of the runway incident (google it if you haven't heard yet) our flight was delayed and delayed and delayed some more and finally canceled. So I'm on line at the southwest ticket desk waiting to find out about being rebooked. :(

At least we have travel insurance and will get reimbursed for the first hotel night!

Ugh. Sorry to hear about the delays. :(

bee

Original Poster

Good luck!

Ugh. Sorry to hear about the delays. :(
Thanks for the support, everyone! We landed safely (and early!) in Milwaukee and are currently waiting on the rental car line. By the time we get to Chicago it will be about the same time as we would have been leaving our first night's hotel and we'll be able to resume our activities as planned. The only difference is we didn't get to sleep in this morning! :oops:

In somewhat better news...

IMG_7852.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
GUISE LOOK what our hotel has!!!

View attachment 172027

Not only is it nice that you have H2O products, but that particular display is very attractive. That certainly must have cheered you up! (I'm also really liking the counter and snazzy wallpaper behind it--stylish.) The interesting thing (for me) when I travel, is that I don't want to have a hotel room that looks like home. I always want to feel like I'm in someplace completely different--I'd enjoy the edgy style of that location you're in, because it's completely different from home. :)

bee

Original Poster
Oui Oui!

(I figured you are speaking French, GUISE and all! :hilarious: :joyfull:)

I think that was @bee's Noo Yawk accent. ;)
@Tiggerish is correct :D

Not only is it nice that you have H2O products, but that particular display is very attractive. That certainly must have cheered you up! (I'm also really liking the counter and snazzy wallpaper behind it--stylish.) The interesting thing (for me) when I travel, is that I don't want to have a hotel room that looks like home. I always want to feel like I'm in someplace completely different--I'd enjoy the edgy style of that location you're in, because it's completely different from home. :)
This entire hotel is beautiful from the public areas to the rooms. I would absolutely stay here again. There is a complimentary happy hour every night with drinks and hors d'oeuvres; there's a continental breakfast spread on each floor and trays in each room so you can go get your food and easily bring it back to the room. We also booked the "Chicago foodie package" for a little bit extra and there were extra goodies waiting in our room, including a $50 Amex gift card (the difference between a standard room and the package was less than $50 so we came out ahead, haha).

Hamilton was absolutely amazing. I've listened to the Broadway cast recording several times so I am quite familiar with the story and music but of course there is nothing like seeing it live. I was able to hold off the tears until about halfway through the second act. If you know the show you know there's an important death around that time. Then I held it together until "Who Lives, Who Dies..." and by the time Eliza sang her last bit I was an ugly crying MESS. It was totally worth spending three hours on the phone on the day the tickets came out!

For brunch yesterday we ate at Frontera Grill (one of Rick Bayless' restaurants) and it was a great experience! It was like a little preview of our lunch at Frontera Cocina in Disney Springs next month! :p

24 days until Orlando/resort hopping and 27 days until French Quarter!!!

Last edited:

LisaBelle

@Tiggerish is correct :D

This entire hotel is beautiful from the public areas to the rooms. I would absolutely stay here again. There is a complimentary happy hour every night with drinks and hors d'oeuvres; there's a continental breakfast spread on each floor and trays in each room so you can go get your food and easily bring it back to the room. We also booked the "Chicago foodie package" for a little bit extra and there were extra goodies waiting in our room, including a $50 Amex gift card (the difference between a standard room and the package was less than $50 so we came out ahead, haha).

Hamilton was absolutely amazing. I've listened to the Broadway cast recording several times so I am quite familiar with the story and music but of course there is nothing like seeing it live. I was able to hold off the tears until about halfway through the second act. If you know the show you know there's an important death around that time. Then I held it together until "Who Lives, Who Dies..." and by the time Eliza sang her last bit I was an ugly crying MESS. It was totally worth spending three hours on the phone on the day the tickets came out!

For brunch yesterday we ate at Frontera Grill (one of Rick Bayless' restaurants) and it was a great experience! It was like a little preview of our lunch at Frontera Cocina in Disney Springs next month! :p

24 days until Orlando/resort hopping and 27 days until French Quarter!!!
Sounds awesome! So glad that Hamilton didn't disappoint. My daughter and I have been listening to the soundtrack. Love it.
Can't believe your trip is so close!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom