Getting Worried!

Boardwalk-empire

Original Poster
I have a trip to Disney coming up at the end of October. What are the odds this hurricane damages disney world to the point, where my trip can be ruined??

AndyS2992

I've been to WDW during three hurricanes as we always go in September and the only damage you will ever see, if any, is a few damaged/fallen trees on the side of the highways. That's about it.

Nubs70

we're driving down there this sunday from NJ. my only concern is if there's any road closures on I-95 along the way, or gas shortages
May want to consider sliding over to 81 and take 75 down. May want to avoid the whole 95 mess. I think just south of Savannah may be quite a mess.

Bluewaves

Some broken limbs, downed trees, thats about it, Disney is about the safest place to be in central Florida during a hurricane, I can recall locals riding out storms at Disney hotels in years past as they are some of the safest places to be in a storm and Disney has a top notch emergency management plan and the infrastructure to put it in place.

mf1972

That may be a problem right there. Depends how close the hurricane comes to the coast which would affect the height of the storm surge. Gas probably wouldn't be a problem by Sunday. Get gas in NC. SC and GA might be on the dry side gas wise.
thanks

Nubs70

Why south of Savannah? There really isn't anything south of SAV until you hit Brunswick and nothing after that till JAX. That road has been widened and rebuilt recently so I really don't think the problem will be there. Gas might be a problem to find.
The marshland around Chatham area is going to flood bad and the whole gas problem.

MattC

Why south of Savannah? There really isn't anything south of SAV until you hit Brunswick and nothing after that till JAX. That road has been widened and rebuilt recently so I really don't think the problem will be there. Gas might be a problem to find.

You would be surprised on the traffic between Savannah and Jacksonville. On two of our last trips between the cities, on major travel weekends, traffic slowed or came to a stop several times. With so many people evacuating this weekend will be a heavy traffic weekend.

bunnyman

Zero. We were at the WL for Charley, and the next day they were in heavy clean-up and repair mode. They were actually planting replacement trees the next day.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I have a trip to Disney coming up at the end of October. What are the odds this hurricane damages disney world to the point, where my trip can be ruined??

You don't need to worry about this at all. RCID and by extension WDW have some of the most stringent building codes in the nation to ensure their property and guests are safe from something like this. Back in 2004 when we had Charlie came right thru Orlando, WDW sustained no substantial damage beyond trees. The next morning all parks except AK were operating normally with occasional small park areas with delayed open to finish up damaged tree removal. AK sustained a lot of landscape damage and was closed for one day to enable cleanup.

Like most communities, they have disaster preparedness plans in place that I'm sure have already been activated to be sure hotels are stocked etc.. while guests may be hunkering down during the storm. They have security stationed around to keep oblivious guests from doing stupid thing like running out in the storm (you have no idea the amount of stupid that happened in 2004).

Bottom line, you have nothing to worry about. Stay excited for your trip and don't stress about it. I live 10 miles from WDW so my perspective is based on experience, not news panic.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom