Getting Worried!

mf1972

looks like i'll be taking I78 to 81 to 75 i believe. aaa is mapping it out for me. anything i should expect?

graphite1326

We are going the last week of October. We went once right after a hurricane. There was a couple of trees down at our resort. We went to the park in the morning and they had put in new trees (braced) when we returned.

thomas998

That's what they just said on the news. We are still 2 weeks away from our trip.
Sounds like you are scheduled to be there when we were going to be there... But we cancelled out trip and decided to go in December instead. While I don't think the hurricane will likely have much impact on Disneyworld, we had planned on doing some other stuff outside Disney and 2 weeks isn't enough time for me to be sure that everything outside the park will be back to normal by then. But as long as you are just doing Disney I wouldn't worry.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I'm more worried about my ST Augustine portion of my trip being ruined since it's just as significant to me as Disney World. U less you have a favorite tree in the parks there should be no worries about Disney World, I just hope the boat at the American Adventure didn't break loose again. Besides that Disney World will be fine, maybe a few broken things here and there but nothing to affect a trip, just as much interference as a small touch up refurbishment.

thomas998

I'm more worried about my ST Augustine portion of my trip being ruined since it's just as significant to me as Disney World. U less you have a favorite tree in the parks there should be no worries about Disney World, I just hope the boat at the American Adventure didn't break loose again. Besides that Disney World will be fine, maybe a few broken things here and there but nothing to affect a trip, just as much interference as a small touch up refurbishment.

I would probably consider postponing my trip if St Augustine was a big part of it. They are right on the cost line and will probably have some significant flooding damage... would really be concerned if my hotel was one of the ones that is right on the beach. At the very least I would be calling the hotels I had reservations with in that area to make sure they were still 100% operational.

GlassHalfFull

This post is what you get when you have people who have never been through a hurricane hearing people on TV saying you will die, and your kids will die too.. for Disney to stay closed for that long of a period of time would take a storm that would frankly have to hit Disney directly and at least be a cat 5 when hitting the shore.. and maintain a lot of strength as it comes inland.

I had a friend who I work with(against my suggestion of waiting out the storm to see what/if any major damage occurred) cancel a trip to Panama City the day before Hurricane Hermine came ashore(was allowed to cancel except deposit up to 24 hours prior to arrival, but was afraid power would be out so long they wouldnt have a working phone yet).. their trip wasn't for 2 weeks later.. and then they got ed when the hotel wouldn't give them a full refund.

Hurricanes, for the most part, with proper prep.. will NOT significantly effect the majority of people.. just because it is a hurricane does not mean its going to be flat ground and no structures remaining.. we have to remember, WDW has a good amount of elevation in Florida so flooding(the majority of damage that people see in Hurricanes) would have to be of biblical proportions to completely cause the parks to close. If that happens, I don't think your vacation will matter..

pixiesteno

we're driving down there this sunday from NJ. my only concern is if there's any road closures on I-95 along the way, or gas shortages
Right now, I95 is closed in lower SC and in GA. GDOT is telling everyone to stay off the roads in the coastal areas of GA. If you take the more in-land route, which would be much longer, know that there are no hotel rooms available in the Columbia, SC, Augusta, GA to Atlanta, GA areas. The last report was the closest rooms inland in GA were in TN and AL.

mf1972

Right now, I95 is closed in lower SC and in GA. GDOT is telling everyone to stay off the roads in the coastal areas of GA. If you take the more in-land route, which would be much longer, know that there are no hotel rooms available in the Columbia, SC, Augusta, GA to Atlanta, GA areas. The last report was the closest rooms inland in GA were in TN and AL.
thanks for the tip

21stamps

This post is what you get when you have people who have never been through a hurricane hearing people on TV saying you will die, and your kids will die too.. for Disney to stay closed for that long of a period of time would take a storm that would frankly have to hit Disney directly and at least be a cat 5 when hitting the shore.. and maintain a lot of strength as it comes inland.

I had a friend who I work with(against my suggestion of waiting out the storm to see what/if any major damage occurred) cancel a trip to Panama City the day before Hurricane Hermine came ashore(was allowed to cancel except deposit up to 24 hours prior to arrival, but was afraid power would be out so long they wouldnt have a working phone yet).. their trip wasn't for 2 weeks later.. and then they got ****ed when the hotel wouldn't give them a full refund.

Hurricanes, for the most part, with proper prep.. will NOT significantly effect the majority of people.. just because it is a hurricane does not mean its going to be flat ground and no structures remaining.. we have to remember, WDW has a good amount of elevation in Florida so flooding(the majority of damage that people see in Hurricanes) would have to be of biblical proportions to completely cause the parks to close. If that happens, I don't think your vacation will matter..

Your last paragraph is what 99% of the people on this site just do not seem to understand.
Instead, they say "Look what happened to Haiti! The same will happen here!!"

I'm really hoping that none of these people have ever been to Haiti, met someone from Haiti, flown over Haiti on their way to the DR, or ever taken the time to learn about that country. If they would have- Then they would realize how ridiculous they sound.

mf1972

we got a room at a hotel in buford, GA. thanks again for the heads up :)

jloucks

Once again, the cynicism of some people on here astounds me. OP is asking a simple question, and people are mocking them. At least there a few people that simply answered the question. But hey, I guess we should all be hurricane experts like some of you are, huh? :banghead:

I don't think it is cynicism, I think they are just mean nasty people whose behavior is amplified in the anon interwebs.

jloucks

Zero.Get a grip.
100%. Probably should just cancel now.

AwardRibbon.png

graphite1326

Well I am going the last week of October. I am taking a HUGE chance. I am gambling on everything being ok. For all of you who are not gamblers going the same week I am, maybe you should cancel.

That way I can have the place all to myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom