What do your kids eat?

Which would you order for your kids?

• Hot dog

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Falafel

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

ninjaprincesst

When my daughter was little she would not eat meat, no problem for sit down meals, big problem at quick service especially since she is also allergic to peanuts, so there went the pb and j option. So many cast members saved me by offering mac n cheese and veggies that were no where on the menu.

nursejackie

Most of us change our eating habits when we are on holiday, I know we do. At home fast food is only eaten once a month or less, but in WDW we eat hot dogs, burgers, fries, ice-cream etc everyday. We wouldn't try to make the child in our party eat carrot sticks instead of fries when we are sat there eating fries. It's only for 2-3 weeks a year, and usually we are all ready to get back to normal, healthier eating when we get home.

21stamps

Original Poster
Most of us change our eating habits when we are on holiday, I know we do. At home fast food is only eaten once a month or less, but in WDW we eat hot dogs, burgers, fries, ice-cream etc everyday. We wouldn't try to make the child in our party eat carrot sticks instead of fries when we are sat there eating fries. It's only for 2-3 weeks a year, and usually we are all ready to get back to normal, healthier eating when we get home.
I'm not talking about forcing kids to eat carrot sticks while we're eating fries...but I will probably not order the fries with my meal.

We eat very healthy in the home. We eat an ice cream, funnel cake sundae, Pokemon caramel apple weekly about 4 months out of the year while at an amusement park lol. We go on outings 2 days per week and order whatever we want. That's not going to harm a kid, and we are both very active.

What I'm talking about is are we forcing "kid foods" on our children because we don't think they will like certain things? Basically, are "we" as parents actually creating picky eaters?

I certainly won't eat a Shawarma Platter and make my kid eat a hamburger or chicken nuggets. I won't eat sushi while my kid is eating mac n cheese. These things seem to be offered because it's "the norm". I think we are moving away from that. I think, but could be wrong, that people in general are raising their kids to be exposed to many types of foods.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm not talking about forcing kids to eat carrot sticks while we're eating fries...but I will probably not order the fries with my meal.

We eat very healthy in the home. We eat an ice cream, funnel cake sundae, Pokemon caramel apple weekly about 4 months out of the year while at an amusement park lol. We go on outings 2 days per week and order whatever we want. That's not going to harm a kid, and we are both very active.

What I'm talking about is are we forcing "kid foods" on our children because we don't think they will like certain things?

I certainly won't eat a Shawarma Platter and make my kid eat a hamburger or chicken nuggets. I won't eat sushi while my kid is eating mac n cheese. These things seem to be offered because it's "the norm". I think we are moving away from that. I think, but could be wrong, that people in general are raising their kids to be exposed to many types of foods.
We as parents might be forcing kids by always acquiescing to their desires, but places restaurants are simply providing what sells.

What is on kids menus is a reflection of what they want. Not the other way around.

If kids as a rule wanted a spring mix salad with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing, restaurants would have it on the menu. They don't so restaurants put up something they do want.

21stamps

Original Poster
We as parents might be forcing kids by always acquiescing to their desires, but places restaurants are simply providing what sells.

What is on kids menus is a reflection of what they want. Not the other way around.

If kids as a rule wanted a spring mix salad with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing, restaurants would have it on the menu. They don't so restaurants put up something they do want.

I think/hope that it will eventually change. Not just at Disney. A smaller version of an adult meal. Ok maybe not swordfish on a kids menu, but something relating to the type of restaurant you are at.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think/hope that it will eventually change. Not just at Disney. A smaller version of an adult meal. Ok maybe not swordfish on a kids menu, but something relating to the type of restaurant you are at.
When it comes to Disney owned restaurants, just ask. I have never seen a company more willing to tweak things to keep people happy.

I know they will do adult portions of kids menu items. Some places might be able to do kids portions of regular items as well.

21stamps

Original Poster
When it comes to Disney owned restaurants, just ask. I have never seen a company more willing to tweak things to keep people happy.

I know they will do adult portions of kids menu items. Some places might be able to do kids portions of regular items as well.

Trust me, I'm not saying that I never order junk food for my kid. Here is fish sticks and fries..I had a salad. But at something like a seafood restaurant I do order off the adult menu for him. Apps and meal.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Trust me, I'm not saying that I never order junk food for my kid. Here is fish sticks and fries..I had a salad. But at something like a seafood restaurant I do order off the adult menu for him. Apps and meal. View attachment 165653View attachment 165654
We did the same thing for kid #1 and #3. Kid number #2 still often orders from the kids menu and she is 23.

21stamps

Original Poster
We did the same thing for kid #1 and #3. Kid number #2 still often orders from the kids menu and she is 23.
My focus group has a grand total of 1 in it.. That's why I asked, because I know my findings could be flawed ;).

The comment that sparked this thread really did make me think though. I will applaud Universal's Mini Golf Dinner combo for their menu choices.

I do stand by the original comment that I think culturally we are changing.
When I was a kid we had fruit roll ups or Little Debbie's in our lunch box along with a turkey sandwich or pb&j..that doesn't happen now. We have Pinterest boards dedicated to interesting bento box lunches.
Back then- Our after school snacks were maybe a slice of cake or pie to go along with an apple.
Now we're utilizing our juicers and making our kids kale and carrot juice as a treat.
I also remember getting soda after a sports game..can you imagine if a parent brought soda now?!
We give our kid's Pirate Booty and Zbars instead for the occasional junk food instead of Doritos and Twinkies.

I do believe we are shifting away from certain things.. But at the same time, now we have funnel cake sundaes and grilled cheese donuts in existence.. So who knows..

Last edited:

Nemo14

My focus group has a grand total of 1 in it.. That's why I asked, because I know my findings could be flawed ;).
I was actually typing a reply about this before you posted.

It's pretty easy to encourage healthy eating and ordering/sharing adult meals when there is only one child involved, but the reality is that most families do have more than one, and then it becomes a whole different ballgame. I only have 2 kids and they are different as night and day when it comes to food preferences. They were raised in the same household by the same parents with the same rules, but my daughter has always made healthier choices than her brother. We never made special meals for either of them if they didn't like what we were having, they just had to have as many bites as their age when they were little. It really doesn't bother me that kids meals in the parks are what they are - it's not like that is all they'll ever eat in real life.

21stamps

Original Poster
I was actually typing a reply about this before you posted.

It's pretty easy to encourage healthy eating and ordering/sharing adult meals when there is only one child involved, but the reality is that most families do have more than one, and then it becomes a whole different ballgame. I only have 2 kids and they are different as night and day when it comes to food preferences. They were raised in the same household by the same parents with the same rules, but my daughter has always made healthier choices than her brother. We never made special meals for either of them if they didn't like what we were having, they just had to have as many bites as their age when they were little. It really doesn't bother me that kids meals in the parks are what they are - it's not like that is all they'll ever eat in real life.

I agree that more than 1 can definitely change things. Practicality wise and budget wise. I can't say that I would pay for adult meals for 2 or more young children, 2 can share one, but beyond that would be tough, and they would have to agree on the meal, which also could be a problem.
You answered a main point in my question though, you don't make special meals for them, thereby exposing them to the same food as you have..where they take it from there is up to them. You aren't just assuming they won't like something. That's the most important part, in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

HRHPrincessAriel

My kid would totally eat the carrot sticks over the fries to begin with. She's weird and hates them. Lol

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

The comment that sparked this thread really did make me think though. I will applaud Universal's Mini Golf Dinner combo for their menu choices.

I do stand by the original comment that I think culturally we are changing.
When I was a kid we had fruit roll ups or Little Debbie's in our lunch box along with a turkey sandwich or pb&j..that doesn't happen now. We have Pinterest boards dedicated to interesting bento box lunches.
Back then- Our after school snacks were maybe a slice of cake or pie to go along with an apple.
Now we're utilizing our juicers and making our kids kale and carrot juice as a treat.
I also remember getting soda after a sports game..can you imagine if a parent brought soda now?!
We give our kid's Pirate Booty and Zbars instead for the occasional junk food instead of Doritos and Twinkies.

I do believe we are shifting away from certain things.. But at the same time, now we have funnel cake sundaes and grilled cheese donuts in existence.. So who knows..
WOW all i caught of that was "Grilled cheese Donut" :hungry::hungry::hungry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom