• Hot dog

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Falafel

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Lol one of my friends has had a house there for years, it's a free stay...I won't complain, and I do really enjoy it there!
Pop across the water to the better island next time you are there .
Oh and i don't have any kids but all my nephews and neices would eat whatever was ordered for them be it Swordfish or chicken nuggets . Guess they are in the minority .

21stamps

Original Poster
Pop across the water to the better island next time you are there .
Oh and i don't have any kids but all my nephews and neices would eat whatever was ordered for them be it Swordfish or chicken nuggets . Guess they are in the minority .
I postponed our MSC UK/Iceland cruise for summer '18, replaced with Alaska for summer '17, so we won't be in Europe for a while :( I'm sad about this, but once we check Alaska off hopefully my kid will stop asking for it...and hopefully quit asking for Antarctica as well.lol

I'm glad to hear that your nieces and nephew will try anything. I think Americans will change...someday...

Phonedave

Ha ha that's funny about the ravioli!

As far as a falafel being healthy, nope, it is not. I do think it is much more interesting, better for you, and tastes better than a hot dog or Mac n cheese though! When I actually do make make falafel I bake them instead of fry.

I am from a VERY Jewish area in South Florida. There are also several Arabic and middle eastern people/restaurants in the region.. So my falafel/ shawarma tastes are pretty picky. Tangerine Cafe is good..even though it's no Pita King ;). . Still, I'd take either one over an item on a standard American kid's menu anyday.

Falafel is just one of those things that does not thrill me. I don't hate it, but I never find myself craving falafel. Like you, I grew up in a very Jewish area - actually a very diverse area in all senses - of New Jersey. I never understood how falafel has become as popular as it is. However, when it comes to food, I am far from a snob. I will eat just about anything and find it at least enjoyable. there are a few items that I will pass on - for example soft shell crabs, i love crabs, I just never had a soft shell crab I found enjoyable, and I have had them multiple times - but even some "kids menu" type stuff I will eat. Is it fine dining, of course not, but at times I do like it.

-dave

Phonedave

My focus group has a grand total of 1 in it.. That's why I asked, because I know my findings could be flawed ;).

The comment that sparked this thread really did make me think though. I will applaud Universal's Mini Golf Dinner combo for their menu choices.

I do stand by the original comment that I think culturally we are changing.
When I was a kid we had fruit roll ups or Little Debbie's in our lunch box along with a turkey sandwich or pb&j..that doesn't happen now. We have Pinterest boards dedicated to interesting bento box lunches.
Back then- Our after school snacks were maybe a slice of cake or pie to go along with an apple.
Now we're utilizing our juicers and making our kids kale and carrot juice as a treat.
I also remember getting soda after a sports game..can you imagine if a parent brought soda now?!
We give our kid's Pirate Booty and Zbars instead for the occasional junk food instead of Doritos and Twinkies.

I do believe we are shifting away from certain things.. But at the same time, now we have funnel cake sundaes and grilled cheese donuts in existence.. So who knows..

Growing up

I had fruit rolls - from the health food store - about one a week, if that. Little Debbies, we bought one box a year as a treat - really

After school snacks were fruit, celery with peanut butter, crackers (whole wheat) or something along those lines

Soda was for special occassions, and then it was ginger ale (because it was healthier somehow, never figured that one out)

If we had snack food in the house, it was Wise brand plain potato chips.

Most dinners were made utilizing produce from the garden (this is why I am adverse to zucchini - I ate pounds of it as a kid - Oh yay, mom made banana bread - until you bite it and see the green flecks and realize it is not banana, I still say that is a cruel trick)

Fast food was once a year, on the drive home from the vacation cabin in Canada.

We grew up eating what my mother made. You had two choices, take it or leave it. She did make some accomidations for us. For example, my brother and I did not like the pepper part of stuffed peppers, so we just got the filling. Nobody was going to make a completely different dinner for us, just a modification to what everyone else was eating.

I think on one hand the US has become more aware of food. There are more "foodies" - a term I despise - out there. People who can talk about food, appreciate food, and will turn their noses up at certain foods. But on the other hand, there seem to be less and less people who can actually cook. Cook as in look in the fridge, panrty, and garden, see what is available, and then make something tasty and healthy (at least reletively healthy) from it without having to follow a recipe step by step.

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But on the other hand, there seem to be less and less people who can actually cook. Cook as in look in the fridge, panrty, and garden, see what is available, and then make something tasty and healthy (at least reletively healthy) from it without having to follow a recipe step by step.

-dave
You would love my wife. She could probably prove the adage "You can't make chicken salad from chicken $h!t" wrong." The woman can take a fridge full of nothing and turn it into a 7 course banquet.

dreamfinder

My 2yo DS has never had a hot dog or chicken nugget. As a matter of fact, think he has only had meat once (his choice, not mine, but I'm all for it.....). But he will eat almost everything else we put in front of him. He loves fruit and veg, kid could live off that and dairy, but he gets whole grains as well. Wouldn't be surprised if he steals all my hummus and lentils from the Tangeirine Cafe veggie platter this next trip.

EvilQueen-T

Who ever's post you originally read kinda confuses me. There seems to be chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, uncrustables, hot dogs etc... on just about every kids menu. Some have one and not the other but overall they're always there. My granddaughter often ends up ordering off the adult menu because of it. At home the kids eat what we eat. We don't make mac n cheese or another typical kid junk food just because the grown ups are having whatever else. If we have chicken,fish, soup whatever so do they so when we do disney and so much of what's on the kids menu's are the same half dozen dishes for us it gets old.

Raegansmommy

My 8 year old wI'll eat anything and is always willing to try something new. My 5 year old is super picky, but will eat Siracha Pretzel Crisps. I can't figure her out lol! I don't make something special for her, she gets what o make for dinner. Most of the time she might only eat one or 2 items, but that is her choice. The rule is she is suposed to at least try it. She will probably eat chicken the whole time at Disney.

HRHPrincessAriel

My 8 year old wI'll eat anything and is always willing to try something new. My 5 year old is super picky, but will eat Siracha Pretzel Crisps. I can't figure her out lol! I don't make something special for her, she gets what o make for dinner. Most of the time she might only eat one or 2 items, but that is her choice. The rule is she is suposed to at least try it. She will probably eat chicken the whole time at Disney.
Mine actually just went to bed only eating her carrots tonight. She took one bite of her Buffalo chicken quesadillas, said they were yucky, and refused to eat more. Too "spicy" but will not stop eating salsa so hot that it makes her cry. Go figure.

21stamps

Original Poster
Who ever's post you originally read kinda confuses me. There seems to be chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, uncrustables, hot dogs etc... on just about every kids menu. Some have one and not the other but overall they're always there. My granddaughter often ends up ordering off the adult menu because of it. At home the kids eat what we eat. We don't make mac n cheese or another typical kid junk food just because the grown ups are having whatever else. If we have chicken,fish, soup whatever so do they so when we do disney and so much of what's on the kids menu's are the same half dozen dishes for us it gets old.

The comment I had read that sparked this thread was about this menu. For universal's mini golf and dining package. The person had expressed unhappiness at the menu, and said it was pretty much unreasonable for a kid to be expected to choose from that..because it doesn't contain anything that their kid, or any normal kid, would eat. If I remember correctly they were talking about a 10 or 11 year old. Someone suggested a cheeseburger or chicken, and the response was, No, their child wouldn't eat either and there should be chicken fingers or Mac and cheese.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The comment I had read that sparked this thread was about this menu. For universal's mini golf and dining package. The person had expressed unhappiness at the menu, and said it was pretty much unreasonable for a kid to be expected to choose from that..because it doesn't contain anything that their kid, or any normal kid, would eat. If I remember correctly they were talking about a 10 or 11 year old. Someone suggested a cheeseburger or chicken, and the response was, No, their child wouldn't eat either and there should be chicken fingers or Mac and cheese.

View attachment 165808View attachment 165809
That menu would not have worked with my picky eater kid.

On that entire list there are exactly 4 things that she might have eaten.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom