Soarin' Over the World: My Review...One World: Unacceptable

JohnD

I recently experienced it out at Disneyland after remaining 'spoiler free' for months since the updated version opened.

My general thought after my first ride with the new film was that it was nice, but more fitting for EPCOT then California Adventure.
I think it would have been cool to keep the 'Soarin' Over California' original experience out West and have the 'Soarin' Around The World' update be at Epcot.
It just fits better thematically, in my opinion, but can understand Anaheim wanting the new film.

Anyway, back to my actual thoughts on the new version of the Attraction....

I liked the film.
Picture quality was a nice upgrade.
Although you could spot the CGI 'enhancements' it was still enjoyable and had some nice scenes.
The best part was the new finale showcasing the updated flyover of Disneyland Park.
The original with all the Christmas decor I always found a little jarring since the Park was in 'seasonal mode'.
The transitions from scene to scene were noticable to me, but that was likely only because I was so familiar with the flow of the original film.
Upon a second viewing I didn't notice it as much.

The music I also liked.
Nice to hear that the original theme is still present.

I felt the motion of the ride vehicles was not as 'expressive' as the previous version.
The gliders didn't seem to really move much, and the only time I really felt any kind of sensation of being 'in the air' and actually moving was during the Great Wall segment.
The ride mechs did not seem as active as they were during the previous film.

Ditto on the scents.
I only noticed two on the first ride, and there were none present on my second ride.
This also seemed to reduce the experience in my opinion.
There were many more scents used previously it seemed.

Overall?
I liked it, but miss the movement and scent variety of the previous version.

-

You just reminded me about the ending scene at Epcot -- the fireworks are over the parking lot. I realize that they're CGI but you would think that at the very least the flyover would have been north to south so that the fireworks appear over WS lagoon.

BEARSHOUSE4

So I have the solution! Someone please post where the best seat location is, I will make sure to request that spot, even if it means a longer wait, and maybe this catches on, and they fix it. If not, at least I know where to sit.

Goofyernmost

OMG.... it's a damn make-believe world. What possible difference does it make what direction they shoot it from. The important part is that it now is relevant and connected with Epcot and not just Disneyland. Is it just something to complain about, do we not have enough crap going on in this country or the world that we feel the need to focus on ridiculous things just to have something to complain about? I suppose it would be more scenic to come up to it over the parking lot. That would be really beautiful and have most of the lower scene blocked out by the gate and the tomb stone garden. It was well done, it had the Mickey image and everything. Why not just once find something positive other then having insignificant expectations in your theme park experience.

JohnD

OMG.... it's a damn make-believe world. What possible difference does it make what direction they shoot it from. The important part is that it now is relevant and connected with Epcot and not just Disneyland. Is it just something to complain about, do we not have enough crap going on in this country or the world that we feel the need to focus on ridiculous things just to have something to complain about? I suppose it would be more scenic to come up to it over the parking lot. That would be really beautiful and have most of the lower scene blocked out by the gate and the tomb stone garden. It was well done, it had the Mickey image and everything. Why not just once find something positive other then having insignificant expectations in your theme park experience.

It's not a complaint but an observation. What if the flyover were the Magic Kingdom. Wouldn't you find it odd if we "flew" over Cinderella's Castle and saw fireworks over Main Street?

Goofyernmost

It's not a complaint but an observation. What if the flyover were the Magic Kingdom. Wouldn't you find it odd if we "flew" over Cinderella's Castle and saw fireworks over Main Street?
Of course not, but, the parking lot isn't main street is it? There was really no better option unless the entire scene was done on a computer. I'll take the way it is. It is fine and puts us in the proper location to end the film. Yes, I noticed immediately that the fireworks were seeming to come from the parking lot, which is a much better image then the other direction. It was done the best way it could be and it hurt nothing. It seemed odd to me to see Tinkerbell in there as well, but, she was there in the old one too. Imagine that, a cartoon character in a "allegedly" live location. Keep in mind that, although we know it wasn't done that way, they could have easily fired them off from the parking lot, after hours. So it does have the possibility, at least, of being a real thing.

epcotisbest

Of course not, but, the parking lot isn't main street is it? There was really no better option unless the entire scene was done on a computer. I'll take the way it is. It is fine and puts us in the proper location to end the film. Yes, I noticed immediately that the fireworks were seeming to come from the parking lot, which is a much better image then the other direction. It was done the best way it could be and it hurt nothing. It seemed odd to me to see Tinkerbell in there as well, but, she was there in the old one too. Imagine that, a cartoon character in a "allegedly" live location. Keep in mind that, although we know it wasn't done that way, they could have easily fired them off from the parking lot, after hours. So it does have the possibility, at least, of being a real thing.

I find your use of logic and common sense, not to mention straightforward commentary, a bit confusing. :joyfull:

JohnD

Everyone understands the animation at the end. I'm just saying it seemed odd that the fireworks were over the parking lot instead where everyone knows Illuminations takes place--over WS Lagoon. I guess because SE is so close to the entrance that the flyover wouldn't work north to south, unlike any Castle park which has it's version of Main Street before you get to the castle.

Virtual Toad

Don't forget... California is one state and they can take off and return to the same base every nigh. They took footage from all over the world, there probably wasn't as much time and accessibility to get this done. .

Too bad we're not talking about the global leader in themed entertainment here. Surely they would have had the resources to-- oh. Never mind.

Virtual Toad

What possible difference does it make what direction they shoot it from.

Seriously? Why not just shoot it from the parking lot with a VHS camcorder then? What difference would that make?

Directorial choices can make or break any production and as such are certainly open for debate. Especially since the production in question was produced by a company that's supposed to be the undisputed leader in its field.

Slightly off topic, but the end of the new closing film montage at the Great Movie Ride is another perfect example of a recent poor directorial choice; it exudes the quality and effort of a beginner, not a global leader in entertainment.

Both are examples of Disney falling short of the bar it set for itself.

Goofyernmost

Everyone understands the animation at the end. I'm just saying it seemed odd that the fireworks were over the parking lot instead where everyone knows Illuminations takes place--over WS Lagoon. I guess because SE is so close to the entrance that the flyover wouldn't work north to south, unlike any Castle park which has it's version of Main Street before you get to the castle.
I think that your assumption that "everyone" knows that Illuminations is the WS Lagoon or the other direction is a bit lacking. First of all, again, we are putting ourselves and our experiences in the park experience into everyone elses head. What we know is not necessarily common knowledge. You are correct about the SE close to the entrance as the reason it was done in that direction. It only makes sense. There is no actual path that could be taken to drive toward SSE. And it is not a Castle Park. Most first timers wouldn't even think about the direction the shot was taken from or even care. There is nothing about it that ruins the show, in fact it enhances it for most people. It really isn't worthy of even having this much discussion about it. It just another example of an unproblem, problem.
Seriously? Why not just shoot it from the parking lot with a VHS camcorder then? What difference would that make?

Directorial choices can make or break any production and as such are certainly open for debate. Especially since the production in question was produced by a company that's supposed to be the undisputed leader in its field.

Slightly off topic, but the end of the new closing film montage at the Great Movie Ride is another perfect example of a recent poor directorial choice; it exudes the quality and effort of a beginner, not a global leader in entertainment.

Both are examples of Disney falling short of the bar it set for itself.
Serious? Am I serious? Really... are you serious that you actually think that this is measurable in that incredibly inaccurate "Bar" that you think Disney created for itself? They are running a group of theme parks that are anything but connected with reality. So now all of a sudden they are not living up to something that individuals have defined as the "Bar" because they have done something that isn't real? Is riding a big old bench seat up above a screen real? Is the ship we are riding in at Mission: Space really taking us to Mars? Are we really in Figments upside down house? Did we really get sprayed by a skunk? Did a Turtle really just talk to us, dude? Are we really in a town taken over by Pirates? Is the haunted mansion really haunted? So all of a sudden Disney doing a very good job of creating a real feeling scene with fireworks over SSE is not of the bar that they may or may not have set? How exactly, does such a minor escape from reality become something that is a shocking departure from the business of fantasy entertainment that Disney is known for? Now if we approached SSE in the show and all they did was have someone throw up a couple of firecrackers in front of the building, then they would have missed the "bar". The direction that they approached a big globe, however, does not qualify. Especially when those aren't really the type of fireworks that are normally used or part of Illuminations.

Virtual Toad

Serious? Am I serious? Really... are you serious that you actually think that this is measurable in that incredibly inaccurate "Bar" that you think Disney created for itself? They are running a group of theme parks that are anything but connected with reality. So now all of a sudden they are not living up to something that individuals have defined as the "Bar" because they have done something that isn't real? Is riding a big old bench seat up above a screen real? Is the ship we are riding in at Mission: Space really taking us to Mars? Are we really in Figments upside down house? Did we really get sprayed by a skunk? Did a Turtle really just talk to us, dude? Are we really in a town taken over by Pirates? Is the haunted mansion really haunted? So all of a sudden Disney doing a very good job of creating a real feeling scene with fireworks over SSE is not of the bar that they may or may not have set? How exactly, does such a minor escape from reality become something that is a shocking departure from the business of fantasy entertainment that Disney is known for? Now if we approached SSE in the show and all they did was have someone throw up a couple of firecrackers in front of the building, then they would have missed the "bar". The direction that they approached a big globe, however, does not qualify. Especially when those aren't really the type of fireworks that are normally used or part of Illuminations.

Huh? I'm speaking about the decision to end with the shot heading toward SSE and the parking lot beyond. I was not speaking about the CGI fireworks (which are the least problematic example of the production's over-reliance on CGI effects vs. real footage) but that's a different argument. Dropping guests off in a decidedly less-than-magical-- but all too real-- parking lot (which many started their day at) at the end of an escapist attraction around the world may not have been the best directorial choice, but hey, YMMV.

There is one thing in the Disney Universe that is undisputedly real-- and that is the expectations of its guests. Whether the new Soarin' is up to those expectations or not is worthy of debate. At least it's worthy of debate on a WDW-related discussion forum. Sorry to offend you but I thought that's what we're supposed to be doing here.

worldfanatic

After each of the three times I rode it earlier this month, almost the entire crowd riding erupted in applause.

Nothing's perfect, but I was very impressed with the upgrade.
However, people love to look for flaws and overreact big time to them.
Especially around here.

rk03221

I liked the original because everything in it was real and it felt as if you were actually flying over california. The newer version is just shorter with CGI it seems like it was done too quick with no thought. It wouldve been really nice if they just re-did it to a Florida version.

epcotisbest

I liked the original because everything in it was real and it felt as if you were actually flying over california. The newer version is just shorter with CGI it seems like it was done too quick with no thought. It wouldve been really nice if they just re-did it to a Florida version.

The original had CGI too.

Bluewaves

Only have watched the video on YouTube

Anytime you show anything on a curved screen the image gets distorted, same thing happened with the original but there were no close ups on a geometric item making the distortion less obvious.

Miss the scene with the Thunderbirds, it was one of those oh wow moments that made the ride extra awesome, but the update looks fine.

Don't particularly care for the new mix of the sound track but that's just splitting hairs at this point

Mickey5150

I'm still upset about my first trip to San Francisco after having been on the original Soarin. Do you know that they Golden Gate Bridge is actually straight? I was very disappointed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom