Soarin' Over the World: My Review...One World: Unacceptable

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Edit: Meant to say "Around" the World, but can't edit.

I just got back from a wonderful 8 day trip at WDW and had a wonderful time. We were excited to ride Soarin' Around the World as we are not used to seeing new attractions because of the frequency of our trips to the World.

I could sit here and comment on the good things, what they got right: A beautiful score, retaining of Patrick as the chief flight attendant, gorgeous images from all over the world, great audio, and even a cleaned up image. But I can't.

I can't get over something I'm know has been discussed here extensively:

The image issues. The Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal are distorted and appear crooked. Not just slightly either....It's as if they are bent dramatically. It ruins the ride and is unacceptable. I was sitting on the right side, top row. It looks absolutely awful. In my estimation, the ride should be taken down and not re-opened until it's fixed. In fact, it should have never been opened like that in the first place.

I read a little about it, but I am absolutely stunned it's this bad and was pushed out in spite of being so blatantly obvious. HOW could they think this is "fine" or acceptable???

Sidenote: The CGI "Shtick" is absolutely ridiculous too and should have never made it through. I could forgive all of that if the images were representative of their actual appearance.

Absolutely devastated and disappointed Disney allowed this to happen. Shame on them and a real blow to what could have been a wonderful update to a favorite.

Iger's leadership has been absolutely devastating to WDW in particular and I am genuinely afraid of what we'll see when the "good enough" box is checked for our remaining projects in process (Avatar, Star Wars, Pixar, and whatever at EPCOT).

It was some consolation to see the images look fine when viewing from the center.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Are you joking? Nothing in the ride has changed besides a new film (which is much more realistic), movement sync to the new film, and new scents. The issue you're describing has been an issue since Soarin Over California was opened. If you view/sit on the edge of a curved screen then it'll appear distorted.
NOT this bad. The new images are WAYYYYY more obvious. Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal. Those make it painful.

I've ridden the original Soarin' easily over 100 times and never walked out this disappointed.

I made a point to not read/watch anything on the new one and was completely shocked when I saw the final product.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

NOT this bad. The new images are WAYYYYY more obvious. Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal. Those make it painful.

I've ridden the original Soarin' easily over 100 times and never walked out this disappointed.

I made a point to not read/watch anything on the new one and was completely shocked when I saw the final product.
When did you notice the Eiffel Tower or Taj Mahal on the original Soarin? Just sayin! Remember the words... Location, Location, Location. It would probably take some massive surgery on one's optic nerves to fix that problem.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
The original video used primarily vast, open landscape type scenes that did a good job hiding the obvious flaw of a curved screen.

We always sit in the front row, so I can't speak for every perspective of the film, but the Eiffel Tower looks silly. I was fine with everything else besides the fact that they TOOK AWAY MY ORANGE SCENTS!!!! Not bitter. Just saying.

Goofyernmost

This thread is ridiculous. I cannot believe I wasted my time reading this.

Now I cannot believe I wasted my time writing a reply to a wasted time thread.

The only redeeming aspect of this thread thus far is @hakunamatata 's Ed Sullivan impression.
And for the benefit of the now millions of people that have no idea who Ed Sullivan was... Google is your friend!

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
When did you notice the Eiffel Tower or Taj Mahal on the original Soarin? Just sayin! Remember the words... Location, Location, Location. It would probably take some massive surgery on one's optic nerves to fix that problem.
That's my problem with it. If there are physics problems with using said images, pick different locations or be more creative to solve the problem. The "we have to get the Eiffel Tower in" mantra sacrificed the overall show. It's just not good enough.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I disagree. SATW is miles and miles better than the original attraction, distortion an all. But good to know there will be one less person clogging up the queue for me. Bye bye :D
I'm one of the biggest Disney fans you will ever meet and can assure you I'll still be going despite my immense disappointment. I frankly am disappointed in WDW ever since Iger took over, but I've been at least 30 times in the last 10 years.

Yert3

The distortion has always been there. It was just less noticeable on the previous version. For me it's a nonissue because I don't think anything can be done about it.

JohnD

While I'm not going to join the Iger bandwagon (it seems he is blamed for everything from this to bad maid service), I will say that when I first saw it over Labor Day weekend, I did have a "meh" reaction.

While the score borrowed from the original Goldsmith version, it wasn't as, well, soarin'. The original theme felt grander. The CGI was distracting and the bent Eiffel Tower was just weird. Smells were nice but I miss the oranges.

I don't knock the effort to film scenes from around the world as well as put in digital projections. But the final execution definitely could have been better.

marialexus

We are going in November and the new soarin is one of the things I am looking forward to. From reading all of this I hope I am not disappointed.

I'm genuinely sorry that you had a bad experience with it. Over on my coast the picture is perfectly straight and not distorted at all. I have ridden it in all three rows and from every side, right to left. make your next trip out here. Happy to hear that this didn't ruin your trip for you.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom