Big changes to magicbands?!

JCtheparrothead

Disney earlier in the year submitted a second generation Magic Band. I can confirm the legitimacy of the photo attached above as this was submitted to the FCC.

I'm actively combing though the FCC data.

Update:
The radio frequency document that was released on August 15th shows that the device is classified as a “proprietary 2.4 GHz GFSK radio in a wristband form factor.” The MagicBands have proved to Disney that they are a lucrative buy as you can get customized bands with almost any Disney character you want on it. While the external photos of the device won’t come out until February of next year (the first magic band saw a six-month embargo as well), other that what has been published in the ID Label document, we can assume at this point that a wristband portion will have a much greater emphasis than being sold separately as an accessory, and the FCC documentation is currently helping to support that.

Full Article: http://behindthethrills.com/2016/08/disney-to-phase-out-magic-bands/

Update 2: The power of the RF antenna has increased to 1.175 mW (milliwatt) from 960.0 μW (microwatt).

Update 3: I've made a MagicBand/MyMagic + Identification Guide Here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/magicband-mymagic-identification-guide.916790/

Update 4: We heavily updated the article due to it being a bit complex due to the wording used; here is the original:

With that type of increase to the RF power we can be sure that they are starting to use this for other purposes than the current near field stuff they have now. My guess would be more traffic tracking in stores and more regional tracking in the park. Start looking for the little black antennas like you see on the cruise ships to track the kids in the Kids Club.

MrPromey

One problem I see this solving is the "Please be sure you are touching the MICKY EARS to the reader" thing... I hear this again and again both waiting in line to get into the parks and waiting in line at fast pass stations. People just hold their wrists up to the reader and it doesn't register... Of course, this could probably also be solved by making the ears less subtle on existing bands and adding signage to better address it but this way, they can sell people more options go to with their band faces, too, I guess.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
With that type of increase to the RF power we can be sure that they are starting to use this for other purposes than the current near field stuff they have now. My guess would be more traffic tracking in stores and more regional tracking in the park. Start looking for the little black antennas like you see on the cruise ships to track the kids in the Kids Club.

The current bands can already do that sort of tracking if they so desired to use it.

JCtheparrothead

One problem I see this solving is the "Please be sure you are touching the MICKY EARS to the reader" thing... I hear this again and again both waiting in line to get into the parks and waiting in line at fast pass stations. People just hold their wrists up to the reader and it doesn't register... Of course, this could probably also be solved by making the ears less subtle on existing bands and adding signage to better address it but this way, they can sell people more options go to with their band faces, too, I guess.

I think they have the FP+ and the gate entry readers cranked way down so you have to do the face to face touch. With the increased power that is in the new pucks i don't know if they are looking to fix those so much as they are looking to enhance their data mining in the park or change the experiences for you. Maybe this will be used for new personalized experiences in the new Lands coming in the next few years (pandora, SW, toy story). That way you don't have to touch the reader like now you just have to be near it.

As a side note does anyone know where the MB reader is in it's a small world that triggers the personalized goodbye at the end?

flynnibus

Premium Member
People seem to forget you actually want the devices to have a limited lifecycle to a large degree.

The means selling more stuff, and it means the install base will not be perpetual... You don't want to limit tomorrow's features because of 5yr old devices you have to support that are 3generations behind.

Dying devices that are replaced means less old stuff that customers want to use...

tissandtully

Sweet! I also didn't complain while we had issues at check-in at BCV, and the CM gave us a $75 credit which was really nice. Wonder how much this is happening?

It happens quite a bit, I got $100 credit last time at BLT after front desk people had to spend a long time calling "The Avengers" for our magic bands. We've probably got like 20+ on our account, lol. They still didn't fix the issue really, they just hardcoded the door unlocks to the band so they would work with the door and even then, one wouldn't work.

bee

It's pronounced analgesic sir, the pills go in your mouth.....
latest

bhg469

The second you introduce alternative type media, there is going to be more staff to work the gates. Phones and smart watches are convenient but they are also only on one person. I have seen it hundreds of times where the patriarch of the family has all the passes for his family and insists on scanning people through individually. Granted most of my work is at concerts and sporting events but it holds up the lines. In the case a family will have 2 smart phones and 2 bands for the kids, he bands are ready to go, no issue. The phone, usually locked, will be unlocked in preparation for the gate. If the person in front doesnt finish quickly the phone may lock again, media needs to be accessed again. It may sound petty but this is what I do for a living. I help my clients get people into their events and one thing that is consistent across the board is that only half of the people using phones as their entry method can go as fast as a traditional media. The RFID points for the gates are a whole other story. The contact point on the phone and the reader is going to be completely foreign to a lot of people because when you use it at the store it is a little more forgiving.

You may just say, "thats not true! I can' use my phone and I'm super duper smart" I can only say that for 8 years I have been watching the progression of ticket media and this is not faster, not by a long shot.

MrPromey

I think they have the FP+ and the gate entry readers cranked way down so you have to do the face to face touch. With the increased power that is in the new pucks i don't know if they are looking to fix those so much as they are looking to enhance their data mining in the park or change the experiences for you. Maybe this will be used for new personalized experiences in the new Lands coming in the next few years (pandora, SW, toy story). That way you don't have to touch the reader like now you just have to be near it.

As a side note does anyone know where the MB reader is in it's a small world that triggers the personalized goodbye at the end?

To clarify what I meant, I wasn't suggesting that the readers would work better in and of themselves but that where you had to touch them might become stupidly obvious where it isn't today. That's why i mentioned they could have also solved it with a more basic modification to existing bands if they wanted to.

Mostly, I just saw this as a potential benefit to me, intentional or not since every time I go, there is a problem with people not touching the right part of the band either because they don't know where they're supposed to or because their band has slipped and turned without them noticing.

Don't think they want those readers cranked up any more than they are since people are always clustered together and figuring out who triggered a reader would become problematic.

Even if what I mentioned is an intended benefit, I'm sure it's more of an after thought to corporate (though I bet cast members would appreciate it as much or more than I do) and that what you mentioned is closer to part of the reason... in addition to the added retail opportunities for accessories, of course. ;)

Gringrinngghost

They already have those trackers, They've not revised any of the tracker in a few years. The gain on these new ones come in at -2 dBi. It actually will allow them to limit the range of the reader, furthermore the -2dBi could be a result of size restrictions in terms of the antenna’s dimensions.

WhatJaneSays

Yes! This is exactly what they promised at beginning of the MB project for guest that couldn't use the bands easily but wanted more functionality/eases of use than the Key cards.

This is something that is adaptable for people like my mom that have dexterity issues and have a hard time holding the band in the right spot when it's on their wrist. In past trips we've just looped her band around a lanyard; this eliminates that issue because Disney will likely offer a necklace/lanyard as an option. And if not the design lends itself to DIY or maker market solutions.

lazyboy97o

I have seen it hundreds of times where the patriarch of the family has all the passes for his family and insists on scanning people through individually.
At least for FastPass+, it would be great if there was some sort of Group Leader setting where up to so many people can be scanned at once from a single piece of media. Previously one person could hand a small stack of FastPasses to the Cast Member and proceed.

DManRightHere

If it is small enough, I like it. Gives me an excuse to actually buy a lanyard.

I would prefer the puck to be a premium over magicband though. I liked the magicband because people are less likely to loose it and no need to dig around to find them. Thus hopefully making lines move faster.

WhatJaneSays

At least for FastPass+, it would be great if there was some sort of Group Leader setting where up to so many people can be scanned at once from a single piece of media. Previously one person could hand a small stack of FastPasses to the Cast Member and proceed.

I think there may be some of that functionality built into the system. I've seen CMs watch the screens and wave through larger families (8 people or more). That leads me to believe that there might be options to display how many people are linked to your group.

DManRightHere

That is a good idea too. There is no way they have not considered that option. The only thing I can assume is when the whole party is not there and the other people are trying to get in line. I do think Disney originally believed the FP lines would move more efficient. Then again, as long as the FP check in is not slower than it actually tales to load people it does not really matter. I think I have only experienced 2 times there were issues. Checking in for Kilmanjaro Safari at mid day, and EMH for Pirates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom