WDI Layoffs

Franklin47disneyguy

Personally I think this is a good thing. We all know that iamgineering works very costly and inefficient. After the appointment of Bob Weis this was expected within the company. Bruce Vaughn wasn't fired without reason. All projects of the last 5 years where over budget and extremely delayed(California being an example) Disney lost lots of money with the delaying of SDL. Imagineering is going to improve mark my words.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
you-re-fired-o.gif

But seriously, as @Nmoody1 mentioned, can anyone comment as to whether these reductions are simply a drawdown now that a number of large projects are wrapping up or if it represents something more punitive?

lazyboy97o

Personally I think this is a good thing. We all know that iamgineering works very costly and inefficient. After the appointment of Bob Weis this was expected within the company. Bruce Vaughn wasn't fired without reason. All projects of the last 5 years where over budget and extremely delayed(California being an example) Disney lost lots of money with the delaying of SDL. Imagineering is going to improve mark my words.
Weis is the one who made grandiose promises regarding Shanghai Disney Resort.

I haven't seen a list of names, but it makes sense given that Shanghai and Disney Springs have finished.

Good timing for Universal Creative to do some recruitment and get working on that 3rd gate!
Universal Studios Beijing is their next focus.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Good timing for Universal Creative to do some recruitment and get working on that 3rd gate

If the lay off thing is true, and it sound like it is, it could not have come at a better time for UNI. The third gate is the worst kept secret in Orlando and they will be looking for guys and gals with these kind of resumes if they want it open in the next 10 years.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Universal Studios Beijing is their next focus.
I wonder how that is going? Last I heard they were debating rescaling the project due to rough dealings with the Chinese government.

On an other note, I'm not an expert by any means but if what I'm hearing is true I would be willing to say it's a mixture of reason with a mass majority of it being to clean house and change the upper management.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With fantastic creative minds like Bob Chapek, why would they need anyone else?

Exactly Imagineering duties will be outsourced to $RANDOM_BODY_SHOP so significant cost efficiencies can be achieved by use of workers in lower cost countries. The remainder of the Imagineering duties will be carried out by CP interns...

Walt and the Nine Old Men are spinning in their graves right about now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If the lay off thing is true, and it sound like it is, it could not have come at a better time for UNI. The third gate is the worst kept secret in Orlando and they will be looking for guys and gals with these kind of resumes if they want it open in the next 10 years.

UNI is rubbing its hands together gleefully as Disney dumps more creatives who they will hire immediately. Any wonder UNI these days is looking like Disney of old it's because most of the old Imagineers are working for Uni these days.

Disney is only interested in creativity in Accounting these days.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wonder how that is going? Last I heard they were debating rescaling the project due to rough dealings with the Chinese government.

On an other note, I'm not an expert by any means but if what I'm hearing is true I would be willing to say it's a mixture of reason with a mass majority of it being to clean house and change the upper management.

If UNI is smart they will skip the chinese project altogether and simply license the park to Wanda or another Chinese operator. Risk levels are approximately the same and they keep their assets out of reach from the chinese government.

Voxel

President of Progress City
If UNI is smart they will skip the chinese project altogether and simply license the park to Wanda or another Chinese operator. Risk levels are approximately the same and they keep their assets out of reach from the chinese government.
I would have to agree with this. What I've heard in dealling with the Chinese Government it's not even worth the headache.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Imagineering is the department at TWDC where they hide their losses via inflated cost structures. Many failing companies have similar departments in which divisions are OBLIGATED to do business with for $X the defining characteristic is a price structure many times that of competitive external organizations. In Disney's case all 'creative' work is WDI's so anything from a Park to redecorating an office goes through WDI.

These layoffs will do nothing to improve the cost structure of WDI, It's an excuse to get a set of cheaper 'Yes Men' for the Bob's

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom