WDI Layoffs

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Imagineering is the department at TWDC where they hide their losses via inflated cost structures. Many failing companies have similar departments in which divisions are OBLIGATED to do business with for $X the defining characteristic is a price structure many times that of competitive external organizations. In Disney's case all 'creative' work is WDI's so anything from a Park to redecorating an office goes through WDI.

These layoffs will do nothing to improve the cost structure of WDI, It's an excuse to get a set of cheaper 'Yes Men' for the Bob's
The Bob's - I like that!

ABQ

But no names?
Nothing I could find or have seen. Which is why I think it's a little premature of folks to assume Uni is really drooling over this vast pool of easy to hire talent. I'm sure there is some talent in this group, but who know just how valuable at this time? Certainly, I could be completely wrong, this layoff could include the 2nd coming of Baxter or Gurr, but it could also include nothing but yes men and women.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You keep spouting this nonsense but have never been able to name a single asset.

Just wait till the Chinese want something you have in China and simply expropriate it without compensating you for it and THEN you will change your tune. Take a look at what happened to Fellowes so-called joint venture.

http://www.manufacturingnews.com/news/11/0415/Fellowes1.html

Now Fellowes gets to compete globally against its OWN products made on its OWN tooling, There are thousands of examples of this kind of thing.

asianway

Gringrinngghost

UNI is rubbing its hands together gleefully as Disney dumps more creatives who they will hire immediately. Any wonder UNI these days is looking like Disney of old it's because most of the old Imagineers are working for Uni these days.

Disney is only interested in creativity in Accounting these days.
Universal is badly in need to change house of Creative. Thier two latest ORL projects Kong and Sapphire were messes. They pulled their Sapphire team to finish Kong before it Soft opened and then opened Sapphire Falls with 2-4 weeks of work left on it. They had overall earlier in the year 5 active projects with only 2 crews. They are however getting really good at Cookie cutter projects.

Raineman

Personally I think this is a good thing. We all know that iamgineering works very costly and inefficient. After the appointment of Bob Weis this was expected within the company. Bruce Vaughn wasn't fired without reason. All projects of the last 5 years where over budget and extremely delayed(California being an example) Disney lost lots of money with the delaying of SDL. Imagineering is going to improve mark my words.
I don't think you can pin most inefficiencies in WDI on the Imagineers themselves-I think you have to look more towards the Disney bean counters and upper management. I'm sure that, with the majority of the recent, and future, projects, the finished product is different than WDI's vision, with management constantly stepping in and vetoing/changing things, which would naturally lead to higher than budgeted costs and delays. It's also a sad reflection of the entire company as well, when these projects are over budget and delayed, and the finished product, for the most part, is completely underwhelming (see New Fantasyland, Frozen Ever After, etc). I think it would be very rare that the finished product is exactly what WDI drew up initially.

DManRightHere

If the lay off thing is true, and it sound like it is, it could not have come at a better time for UNI. The third gate is the worst kept secret in Orlando and they will be looking for guys and gals with these kind of resumes if they want it open in the next 10 years.

Wouldn't Disney have a "non compete" clause with imagineers? Universal might mot gain any of them for awhile.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Doubt that a non compete applies after being laid off. Unless there's some sort of clause in a severance package. If they quit, that's a different story.

I'm sure with the toxic culture at TWDC they are trying to foist a non-compete on these employees by hook or by crook.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Wouldn't Disney have a "non compete" clause with imagineers? Universal might mot gain any of them for awhile.

I am sure they do, as @ABQ said I have no idea how or when it would kick in but I am sure they have one. It really depends on how long the Non Compete is in affect. But I am sure UNI will get the ones they want.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Lee

Adventurer
you-re-fired-o.gif

But seriously, as @Nmoody1 mentioned, can anyone comment as to whether these reductions are simply a drawdown now that a number of large projects are wrapping up or if it represents something more punitive?
I'm hearing that is the bulk of it.
Not unusual after a big project wraps up.

lazyboy97o

Just wait till the Chinese want something you have in China and simply expropriate it without compensating you for it and THEN you will change your tune. Take a look at what happened to Fellowes so-called joint venture.

http://www.manufacturingnews.com/news/11/0415/Fellowes1.html

Now Fellowes gets to compete globally against its OWN products made on its OWN tooling, There are thousands of examples of this kind of thing.
Yeah, you post this all the time and completely ignore the huge differences. The technology is already commercially available and products owned in China.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom