If you had more $ to spend would you choose a resort upgrade or extra activities?

Jess G

Thought it would be fun to hear others thoughts and preferences?

One day I want to stay in a club level room. One day I want try the deluxe dining plan. There are a ton of tours I want to try and I would LOVE an illuminations cruise. Doing all of this in one trip is obviously not realistic to the average person (like myself)

I downgraded my upcoming trip due to money (from AKL to POR) $1000 cheaper with dining plan added. When I decided to downgrade I always told myself that if money looked right I would switch back to AKL.... Now I wonder if I was to come into that extra $1000 would I switch back to AKL or add more extras? (P.S - This thread is for fun I don't have any extra money right now lol)

How would you change your trip if you had some more money to spend? :)

belledream

I think it depends on the type of Disney experiences you already have under your belt. If you've stayed in a wide array of resorts in your lifetime, you might not feel the same urge to splurge on resort like someone who has never had a taste of it before. A resort is an experience in itself, so it's not really a memories vs. things debate either. It's just what you would find more joy in. :)

Personally, I would probably spend extra money on...food, and maybe upgrade the resort. We're bare-bones type park people. We just love being there and having fun. :p

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

We have been blessed to stay at all levels of Disney resorts and many offsite places that were equally, if not better than Disney deluxe resorts. Yes, AKL was great, but so is POR. That being said, we personally would spend more on extras or tickets or fine dining over a higher level resort if it came down to choosing between those options.
And, POR is wonderful. Your choice is very close to being a lateral move vs. considering it a downgrade, especially factoring in the $1000.
Some of our best trips have been back when the budget was tighter, but I don't mind hanging out spending time at any of the deluxe resorts either. When we do that, we spend more time at the resort than at the parks, and enjoy all the resorts have to offer.

Upvote 0

SeanWM48

i've actually never really yearned for a resort upgrade. if i suddenly had a boost in budget i would try and find something totally different that i've never done before in disney like the parasailing thing or a backstage tour of some sort.

Upvote 0

AndrewsJ

I tend to plan a lot more activities than we have the energy to do (every single time, you'd think I'd learn my lesson) and we are AP and DVC so I would go with the resort hotel upgrade. I have been to the parks 100's of times though so I spend a lot of time at the resort hotel itself. For someone that goes once a year or even once in a lifetime I would probably say find a balance and it sounds like you have. All of the resorts are destinations and POR is beautiful so you really made a good choice. Just try not to over do it on activities so you aren't rushing and can take a little time to take it all in.

Upvote 0

DisneyFans4Life

I think it's going to depend on what you want to do.

Are you going to want to spend the majority of your time in the parks enjoying the attractions and dining or are you going to spend more time at the resort? There's no sense on splurging on a resort if you're not actually going to be there to enjoy it.

For me, I'd probably put my money towards more tours and backstage things.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I'd use the extra money for extra activities. Although upgrading to a nicer resort might bring more comfort or pleasant surroundings, its the activities you do that stand out that makes the trip most memorable. Over the years I've stayed in some very nice places but its the activities and events I've done once I'm there that I recall most of all. When I save for my Disney trip, its the activities I'm saving for that brings me the most excitement and pleasure, not the resort.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

We were once upgraded to a Magic Kingdom view at the Poly, but if that never happened I would say I personally would want to upgrade resort view with extra $$$. Since we've already done that I'm now more inclined to think a fireworks cruise or tour. Ahhhh, dreams of extra money;)

Upvote 0

Noellikechristmas

Depends. Because I've never been to a deluxe, I would use my money to upgrade to a deluxe resort.

Once deluxe resorts become my norm (someday), I think I would buy extras instead of upgrading to a better room. My want to be at a deluxe resort is so I can have the resort amenities and be close to parks. So if I had a 'base' room there, I would be happy.

Upvote 0

Mrhappyplace

I think it depends on the type of Disney experiences you already have under your belt.

Personally, I would probably spend extra money on...food, and maybe upgrade the resort. We're bare-bones type park people. We just love being there and having fun. :p

This sums up my thoughts on it. Last trip my wife and I met a couple on the bus who were heading to the MK train tour they told us they pretty much just do the backstage type of stuff that they have already experienced most everything else.

If I had a spare $1,000 to spend on my next Disney trip I'd probably seek a ADR for Victoria & Albert's perhaps even the chef's table.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

My opinion isn't worth anything because we always stay in our motorhome at Fort Wilderness, but I would be inclined to splurge on a monorail resort.....

My trips to WDW have a very rigid park commando pattern, so I could see a monorail resort just helping me get an extra 30 - 60 minutes of sleep every day.

Rope drop
Quick service breakfast
Rides, rides, rides
Quick service lunch
All the rides
Table dinner
More rides please
Fireworks
Drop dead in motorhome bed
Repeat

Upvote 0

Much-Pixie-Dust

POR is great and has lots of activities to do, so I would choose to use more money on experiences. We have always loved the experiences, like a nice dinner splurge or tour. I have a bucket list and try to knock at least one off on each trip. Last trip was Wild Africa Trek and it was totally worth it! Like @epcotisbest said, some of our best trips were ones where we were more budget minded. We spent one day of our Christmas trip going to all of the resorts to check out the decorations and that was totally free, except for gas. We loved that day so much!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
For us it's an easy choice. I have boys with lots of energy. Heck it doesn't even pay for us to stay on site because no matter where we stay it's breakfast, out the door, on the move, return to wherever we're staying shower, sleep(not even much of that LOL) repeat. So our "extra" money is going to a few extra TS meals and a behind the scenes tour. Do what's best for you and your budget

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jess G

Original Poster
POR is great and has lots of activities to do, so I would choose to use more money on experiences. We have always loved the experiences, like a nice dinner splurge or tour. I have a bucket list and try to knock at least one off on each trip. Last trip was Wild Africa Trek and it was totally worth it! Like @epcotisbest said, some of our best trips were ones where we were more budget minded. We spent one day of our Christmas trip going to all of the resorts to check out the decorations and that was totally free, except for gas. We loved that day so much!

Wild africa Trek is on my bucket list :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom