Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

peter11435

Seriously are you that blind, The sign is themed to match the REST of the signs at Shades of Green which are themed to match the resort, As opposed to the plain white PVC with silkscreened lettering which you can get at any decent print shop and do not match the theming of the polynesian.
I'm guessing it wasn't put up overnight like the TEMPORARY ones installed around WDW last month.

Disone

Seriously are you that blind, The sign is themed to match the REST of the signs at Shades of Green which are themed to match the resort, As opposed to the plain white PVC with silkscreened lettering which you can get at any decent print shop and do not match the theming of the polynesian.

What is the theme?

You wanted Disney's signs to match the themes of their respective areas. And that's all fine and good, But the shades of green sign is not themed.

Matching is not the same thing as being a theme.

Disone

*rolls eyes*
Yeah .... Sorry. To be honest I don't find the shades of green to have any actual Defined theme.

I get his point, he wants the resorts that have the signs match the ambience and look of the specific Resort it is at. Maybe down the road they will.

But the design a warning sign specific to the Polynesian, and then one for the Grand, and then one for the Contemporary, and then one for the Wilderness Lodge, and then one for Yatch and Beach Club, and then one for the boardwalk, and then one for the Pop Century Resort, and you get the point.... they just weren't going to do that. It was get the signs up and get them up now!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yeah .... Sorry. To be honest I don't find the shades of green to have any actual Defined theme.

I get his point, he wants the resorts that have the signs match the ambience and look of the specific Resort it is at. Maybe down the road they will.

But the design a warning sign specific to the Polynesian, and then one for the Grand, and then one for the Contemporary, and then one for the Wilderness Lodge, and then one for Yatch and Beach Club, and then one for the boardwalk, and then one for the Pop Century Resort, and you get the point.... they just weren't going to do that. It was get the signs up and get them up now!

I was rolling my eyes because I found the whole objection to warning signs for dangerous wildlife that don't fit a resort's "theme" to be ludicrous at best. They're warning signs. They should be big, in appropriate colors, fonts and designs that say, "Danger, Will Robinson!". Who cares about "theming"? The bigger and more ominous you can make them, the better. Why? Because there's always going to be that element who will ignore them. You know, potential winners of the Darwin Award.....

Matt_Black

I was rolling my eyes because I found the whole objection to warning signs for dangerous wildlife that don't fit a resort's "theme" to be ludicrous at best. They're warning signs. They should be big, in appropriate colors, fonts and designs that say, "Danger, Will Robinson!". Who cares about "theming"? The bigger and more ominous you can make them, the better. Why? Because there's always going to be that element who will ignore them. You know, potential winners of the Darwin Award.....

Exactly. If it's themed too well, people aren't even going to register it as a warning, and they will subconsciously relegate it to the background with other small details.

Tom Morrow

I'm glad the CM got her job back and is able to finish her time there. She clearly values the health and safety of guests more than her managers.
I'm pretty amazed she got her job back. People get fired for much less and don't get their jobs back at WDW all the time.

Matt_Black

That's the thing. We are told from day one that we are not to post pictures from backstage online, or post any company material online that is not authorized for the public. Even me posting here has rules I have to follow. She may not have agreed with the sign, and maybe the sign shouldn't have been posted, but then she should have followed the right steps. There's a system in place for Cast that think policies are being broken and there is a proper way to report them, and that is not twitter.

*these are my own opinions and not that of TWDC

Well, it's quite possible she DID do that, and her immediate supervisor stonewalled her.

Filby61

...She may not have agreed with the sign, and maybe the sign shouldn't have been posted, but then she should have followed the right steps. There's a system in place for Cast that think policies are being broken and there is a proper way to report them, and that is not twitter.

Right. Like the "system that was in place" when CMs repeatedly told management about guests feeding alligators, only to have management blow off the reports.

Well, it's quite possible she DID do that, and her immediate supervisor stonewalled her.

Not only possible, probable that they stonewalled her, or blew her off with lip service but then didn't report it up the chain.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

This, like you guys have mentioned is honestly despicable on Disney's part. From the beginning the only reason Disney could have not of had gator signs up was to not scare guests. And now that people know about it they go overkill, but then management does stuff like put signs up, but it is in more of a pretend way. If this was done by them (which it probably was) this shows their true colors. And people may think she was dumb to post something from backstage, but this is not a small issue, and I fully support what she's done. Love Disney, but what they've done makes it look like they treat their guests like crap.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

The CM may have violated social media policy.

But the sign maker instructed employees to LIE. Not just mislead. Outright lie.

The CM would have a field day appealing the termination through the union.

And if Disney truly didn't authorize the sign (which is extremely hard to believe. Someone had to approve the work order at the sign shop. Or did someone make the sign at home?) then it would be even more difficult for Disney to claim the CM disclosed confidential company info on social media.
I understand that, but you may not be aware of the ridiculous things CMs DO get fired for, like clockwork, at WDW. I think if this wasn't concerning a high profile situation that the media has all eyes on, she would never get her job back.

Giving her her job back was a PR move.

peter11435

The CM may have violated social media policy.

But the sign maker instructed employees to LIE. Not just mislead. Outright lie.

The CM would have a field day appealing the termination through the union.

And if Disney truly didn't authorize the sign (which is extremely hard to believe. Someone had to approve the work order at the sign shop. Or did someone make the sign at home?) then it would be even more difficult for Disney to claim the CM disclosed confidential company info on social media.
I'm almost certain that sign is just a flyer printed off a standard office printer. It is not an actual sign from the sight shop.

natatomic

This, like you guys have mentioned is honestly despicable on Disney's part. From the beginning the only reason Disney could have not of had gator signs up was to not scare guests. And now that people know about it they go overkill, but then management does stuff like put signs up, but it is in more of a pretend way. If this was done by them (which it probably was) this shows their true colors. And people may think she was dumb to post something from backstage, but this is not a small issue, and I fully support what she's done. Love Disney, but what they've done makes it look like they treat their guests like crap.
View attachment 151601

I'm guessing it was something created by one of her direct managers. I doubt it was approved by anyone higher than that land's proprietor/area manager, but things like that don't typically need to get approved by higher ups either, since each land can - to an extent - make many small decisions on their own. Everyone in on-stage roles - as far as I know - got trained on an official, company approved "wildlife update." Her management probably just thought they'd be a little more specific with what they wanted CMs to say when guests ask specifically about alligators. I like that they were trying to give CMs something consistent to say, but I think whoever wrote it was incredibly misguided as to what he/she thought would be best to tell guests. There are soooo many better ways to answer guests' questions about the wildlife than to flat out lie to them!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom