A Spirited Summer Special (AKA Phil Holmes Takes Anaheim!)

MerlinTheGoat

I won't claim to know what happens behind closed doors at the maintenance for Space Mountain, but it would not surprise me if the ride is structurally unsafe at this point. It was apparently slated for a total track replacement, and I can tell it was desperately needed. That was over 7 years ago too...

Since that cancellation they have added brakes to reduce the stress the ride causes. That sounds like unsafe conditions to my ears. I've elected not to ride it again until they go through with the full track replacement. If that's never, then so be it.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I won't claim to know what happens behind closed doors at the maintenance for Space Mountain, but it would not surprise me if the ride is structurally unsafe at this point. It was apparently slated for a total track replacement, and I can tell it was desperately needed. That was over 7 years ago too...

Since that cancellation they have added brakes to reduce the stress the ride causes. That sounds like unsafe conditions to my ears. I've elected not to ride it again until they go through with the full track replacement. If that's never, then so be it.

Wow, is it really that bad? I have yet to ride the SM in the Magic Kingdom.

MerlinTheGoat

It's well known that it's overdue for a completely new track for ages. The ride has been getting more and more janky and uncomfortable as more time passed without that track replacement. And sometime in the past couple of years they added brakes to reduce the stress the cars put on the track (which is reported to have reduced the fun of the ride considerably as well).

I haven't ridden it since they added them. It sounds like this ride is being held together by a hope and a prayer. If someone told me the safety was compromised, it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe it's not unsafe, but I don't trust it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's easily the worst Space Mountain in the world. My favourite is Paris, but Anaheim is always worth doing. I'd never go on Florida's again until they rebuild though, way too unsafe.

I rode it the last time I was there this year, and did a quick inspection during the ride through. Everything is good. No worries.

wdwfan4ver

The Space Mountain at MK had trim brakes added in 2013 during their 2 short refurbishments as a way to slow down the ride due to how bad the tracks are getting.

Space Mountain at MK at a refurbishment in 2009 that had its budget cut by Phil Holmes and Phil allowed the tracks to be in very bad shape. I don't have a lot of kind things to say about Phil's reign as MK VP since multiple attractions were neglected at some point by Phil during his reign.

Variable

It's well known that it's overdue for a completely new track for ages. The ride has been getting more and more janky and uncomfortable as more time passed without that track replacement. And sometime in the past couple of years they added brakes to reduce the stress the cars put on the track (which is reported to have reduced the fun of the ride considerably as well).

I haven't ridden it since they added them. It sounds like this ride is being held together by a hope and a prayer. If someone told me the safety was compromised, it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe it's not unsafe, but I don't trust it.

Let's just dial back the frightening hyperbole ok?

You have no facts to support such wild irresponsible allegations.

Most agree the ride is rough, but rough by no means equals unsafe.

MerlinTheGoat

The ride's maintenance crew seemed concerned enough about the ride's safety that they didn't feel comfortable continuing to operate it at its original speed and force. This concern prompted them to add brakes to reduce the wear on the aging track and support. Their concern is enough for me to be concerned as well.

Could be entirely safe, could have issues we're not aware of. What I do know is that the discomfort level has been getting progressively worse in recent years (and this is a ride that was already very bumpy 20 years ago), and Disney seemed uncomfortable continuing to run it at the original speed. Even in the best case scenario, it's a far slower and less fun (and more painful) experience than it once was.

One hopes they have a massive rehab planned ASAP, with a complete track rebuild. Anyone know of such a thing happening anytime soon?

Last edited:

brb1006

The ride's maintenance crew seemed concerned enough about the ride's safety that they didn't feel comfortable continuing to operate it at its original speed and force. This concern prompted them to add brakes to reduce the wear on the aging track and support. Their concern is enough for me to be concerned as well.

Could be entirely safe, could have issues we're not aware of. What I do know is that the discomfort level has been getting progressively worse in recent years (and this is a ride that was already very bumpy 20 years ago), and Disney seemed uncomfortable continuing to run it at the original speed. Even in the best case scenario, it's a far slower and less fun (and more painful) experience than it once was.

One hopes they have a massive rehab planned ASAP, with a complete track rebuild. Anyone know of such a thing happening anytime soon?
It would make a great edition for the 50th but that could be doubtful.

NearTheEars

I would love for it to get new, modern track similar to what 7DMT has. That is one smooth coaster. And it would awesome with all the twists and turns of SM. Not to mention speeding it back up again.

tirian

Let's just dial back the frightening hyperbole ok?

You have no facts to support such wild irresponsible allegations.

Most agree the ride is rough, but rough by no means equals unsafe.

Two years ago, a group of Disney engineers told me they absolutely would not ride Space Mt. in its current condition.

Even though DL was already scheduled to receive a track replacement, one morning before the park opened, a chunk pretty much fell apart. (It wasn't that dramatic, but there was significant stress on the tracks.) This prompted a sudden closure and accelerated refurb in California.

For some unknown reason*, Disney is willing to replace the tracks on every coaster except Space Mt.

* Who am I kidding? Phil Holmes cut the Space Mt refurb costs because he wanted a bigger bonus.

Last edited:

Herbie

Terribly hazardous.

I was all for protesting the Tower of Terror/Guardians overlay, but this is what 'we' should be complaining to the company about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom