The House Cup: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

Say what you want about the muddled plot later, but I stand by this was one of the best opening sequences in a comic-book movie I've seen.

I had doubts going in and this just silenced them right at the start. The music and visuals are fantastic.

Edit - well so much for that haha - Batman v Superman extended cut is available today and joe blo had posted the first 10 minutes...probably my favorite part of the movie.

JokersWild

I'll see the director's cut at some point, but I seem to be one of the few people who actually liked the theatrical cut of the movie. That could be, and probably is, because I watched the movie specifically for Batman, but I still rate it a 7-7.5/10. Yes there were problems, and yes Lex Luthor was absolutely terrible, both in characterization and performance, but Ben Affleck played perhaps the definitive on screen Batman. It was like Bruce Wayne jumped out of a comic book, and onto the silver screen. Killing aside, which was the one thing that really bothered me about Batman, Affleck was fantastic and makes me incredibly excited for the solo film.

And the first sequence is probably my favorite retelling of the Batman origin. It was shot beautifully. And the casting of Thomas Wayne makes me VERY hopeful should they decide to go all out with the Flashpoint story arc, as they very briefly teased later in the film.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I'll see the director's cut at some point, but I seem to be one of the few people who actually liked the theatrical cut of the movie. That could be, and probably is, because I watched the movie specifically for Batman, but I still rate it a 7-7.5/10. Yes there were problems, and yes Lex Luthor was absolutely terrible, both in characterization and performance, but Ben Affleck played perhaps the definitive on screen Batman. It was like Bruce Wayne jumped out of a comic book, and onto the silver screen. Killing aside, which was the one thing that really bothered me about Batman, Affleck was fantastic and makes me incredibly excited for the solo film.

And the first sequence is probably my favorite retelling of the Batman origin. It was shot beautifully. And the casting of Thomas Wayne makes me VERY hopeful should they decide to go all out with the Flashpoint story arc, as they very briefly teased later in the film.
I'm pretty sure i gave it that same rating when I was on the review show with Tiki and BDF. Somewhere around a 7-7.5/10.

It definitely doesn't deserve the 28% or whatever it has on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm interested to see how the extra 30 minutes or so changes the movie. Luthor I could tolerate, but the whole length of the movie I was waiting for it to go off the rails like the critics were implying with the low review, but aside from things here and there, I liked it.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Question of the Day:

100-dcom-prime.jpg

In honor of the 100th DCOM (Disney Channel Original Movie) being released a few days ago - What is your favorite Disney Channel Original Movie?

And if you didn't have a favorite Disney Channel Original Movie growing up, what was you're favorite Disney TV Special (Grand opening of a park, Celebration, TV Show going to a Disney Park)?

I'll answer both :hilarious:

I was in the early/mid 2000s DCOM era, so my pick has to be Cadet Kelly, because nothing says 2000s Disney Channel like a cool choreographed sequence with Hilary Duff and Christy Carlson Romano.

giphy.gif

My favorite movie special has to be the "special" (I'll count it) when Full House goes to WDW. It's just one of those classic TV shows that going to WDW just fit well with them.

fullhousethehousemeetsthemousepartii.0300.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Question of the Day:

100-dcom-prime.jpg

In honor of the 100th DCOM (Disney Channel Original Movie) being released a few days ago - What is your favorite Disney Channel Original Movie?

And if you didn't have a favorite Disney Channel Original Movie growing up, what was you're favorite Disney TV Special (Grand opening of a park, Celebration, TV Show going to a Disney Park)?

I was in the early/mid 2000s DCOM era, so my pick has to be Cadet Kelly, because nothing says 2000s Disney Channel like a cool choreographed sequence with Hilary Duff and Christy Carlson Romano.

giphy.gif

My favorite movie special has to be the "special" (I'll count it) when Full House goes to WDW. It's just one of those classic TV shows that going to WDW just fit well with them.

Even Stevens:cool:

Also my favorite Disney TV show ...well was played in Disney (Thanks for the upload @nelsonj3 :D)

disneydf

Question of the Day:

100-dcom-prime.jpg

giphy.gif

Favorite DCOM has to be high school musical or ZENON, both of the movies I grew up with and everytime someone ask me I automatically think of that

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
It's apparently an E-ticket too.

But why Guardians?? Like I'm a huge Marvel fan, and it's a great movie...but it's not even the best Marvel movie. Unless the script for Guardians Vol. 2 is just pure gold, I don't get it.

If they need IPs...they couldn't just bring Tron over like @Voxel had suggested on this very thread months ago?:p

DinoInstitute

It's apparently an E-ticket too.

But why Guardians?? Like I'm a huge Marvel fan, and it's a great movie...but it's not even the best Marvel movie. Unless the script for Guardians Vol. 2 is just pure gold, I don't get it.

If they need IPs...they couldn't just bring Tron over like @Voxel had suggested on this very thread months ago?:p
And what else? There's a fair chance that it won't be just one pavilion it takes up, but two. WoL AND UoE.

And to answer why guardians...it's something we already knew. I think it just comes back to the fact that the suits are out of touch. In their minds, if this Marvel thing they can us is popular and has interesting technology, it's must be perfect for attracting crowds!

Like I suggested in that thread, if they must use GotG, nobody would complain if it replaced SGE :p ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I say nay nay. Tron to the Magic Kingdom, replace Tomorowland Speedway or Carousel of Progress. Move Carousel of Progress to Epcot.
I'd doubt they'd move an attraction to a different park. It makes no business sense.

And follow the third rate material of theme park and resorts? Every time Disney has written a franchise name into one of its attractions, it becomes basilisk breath, and basilisk breath turns farms to wastelands.
Every time?

Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin was a successful overlay.

JokersWild

Buzz Lightyear is a different experience and ride system than what it replaced. And Universal has moved IPs and attractions from on park to the next, so no excuses.
No it's not? Buzz utilizes the exact same ride system as Dreamflight, albeit with guns attached to them. Other than the shooting element, the ride is virtually the same: cardboard cut-outs ending with a speed tunnel.

Disney absolutely can, and has, made successful and rather good attractions, which are essentially overlays, based off of IPs

And it's a slightly different situation with Uni. If you're referring to Kong, that was moved from park to park over ten years after its' former ride was closed. If you're talking Harry Potter, that's an entirely different experience used to sell even more tickets in both parks rather than just one, and capitalize on the Potter fanaticism. Either way, neither situation involved closing an attraction and moving it as is to a different park. As much as I'd love to see CoP in EPCOT, or the Smithsonian, it just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Not exactly, Buzz is an interactive shooter and with more movement than the Haunted Mansion. And so what if Universal is not Disney, if Universal can move one franchise from one park to the next, so can any of its rivals; if they have more than one park.
Carousel of Progress is not a franchise first of all.

And secondly it would make no sense to build a whole new theater in another park for a show that doesn't pull a large audience.

And an omnimover is an omnimover. So what if it's a shooter? I don't understand what you're saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom