Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Daveeeeed

Well, it's been reported that it was $400 million, but it was beyond that by over $150 million at least. Just like the reported $200 million for Radiator Springs Racers is not even close to the actual figure.
RRR cost so much because of the insane amounts of rock work which is mostly used as a backdrop for the land, so it is kind of a bit unfair.

Daveeeeed

What's unfair? I'm not making a comparison, just pointing to a similarity.
Sorry I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. I 100% agree with you, and think it was a fair comparison. What I meant was that the ride itself is no where near as expensive as the posted figure is as it includes the rockwork. Fair comparison, but thought I'd point that out. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Stripes

Sorry I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. I 100% agree with you, and think it was a fair comparison. What I meant was that the ride itself is no where near as expensive as the posted figure is as it includes the rockwork. Fair comparison, but thought I'd point that out. Sorry for the miscommunication.
Not to worry, haha!:)
Will SWL use as much rockwork as Cars Land?
Well, if the concept art is anything to judge by, I would say it's definitely in range.

Daveeeeed

Will SWL use as much rockwork as Cars Land?
I am going to say no, and a little bit of yes in the sense of rockwork. It is definitely going to have 100+ foot tall rockwork type towers, but in terms of square footage of the rockwork itself it doesn't seem like it based on analysis of the concept art and from what I've heard. The land though will be much broader for sure. Star Wars is going to be more dependent on a mega scale land with ultra detailed buildings combined with large rock work structures to make it the best land on Earth. I think it'll look much more impressive as a whole even though it probably will have less actual square footage of rockwork, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'll cover a larger area for one, and instead of being in the distance from the land itself you will be able to walk up to it, but because it all won't be connected technically the square footage will be less, but definitely in the same range.

Stripes

I am going to say no, and a little bit of yes in the sense of rockwork. It is definitely going to have 100+ foot tall rockwork type towers, but in terms of square footage of the rockwork itself it doesn't seem like it based on analysis of the concept art and from what I've heard. The land though will be much broader for sure. Star Wars is going to be more dependent on a mega scale land with ultra detailed buildings combined with large rock work structures to make it the best land on Earth. I think it'll look much more impressive as a whole even though it probably will have less actual square footage of rockwork, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'll cover a larger area for one, and instead of being in the distance from the land itself you will be able to walk up to it, but because it all won't be connected technically the square footage will be less, but definitely in the same range.
I agree with that. The rock work may be less, but it will probably be more imposing. When I first laid eyes on Cars Land, I couldn't believe that it was all rock work, I thought it must be an incredibly well done flat-background-facade (or whatever it's called, you get the idea), that is until the shadows came down and made it very apparent that it was rock work. The vast majority of the rock work in Cars Land is in the distance, whereas it'll be right in front of you in SWL. I don't want to derail this thread, so we just probably get back to TSL chat.

Daveeeeed

I agree with that. The rock work may be less, but it will probably be more imposing. When I first laid eyes on Cars Land, I couldn't believe that it was all rock work, I thought it must be an incredibly well done flat-background-facade (or whatever it's called, you get the idea), that is until the shadows came down and made it very apparent that it was rock work. The vast majority of the rock work in Cars Land is in the distance, whereas it'll be right in front of you in SWL. I don't want to derail this thread, so we just probably get back to TSL chat.
Agreed, and agreed. Either way both will and are stunning in their own way.

Daveeeeed

Avatarland, and Mysterious Island both have a ton of rockwork too, but like you said let's get back on topic :)

Daveeeeed

Looking back it looks like Hogsmeade is more in that range. My point still stands. Toy Story Land as it is now should not cost this much. I can't imagine what Star Wars is costing. Even Avatar is supposed to be around $1 Billion.
I completely agree with you. It shouldn't cost anymore than 150 imo. Toy Story Playland was 85 million. I don't see why a cheap coaster would bring it up that much, but at least it isn't 500 million like some were saying.

Last edited:

Stripes

Looking back it looks like Hogsmeade is more in that range. My point still stands. Toy Story Land as it is now should not cost this much. I can't imagine what Star Wars is costing. Even Avatar is supposed to be around $1 Billion.
Avatar is worth every penny of that $1 billion. There's a ton of innovation in that land, which inflates the price tag. Either Uni got incredibly lucky, or something is fishy with the reported allocation of $250 million for Hogsmeade in Orlando. Hogsmeade in Hollywood reportedly cost $500 million according to the LA Times, and I can't imagine what would make it so much more expensive, even the slippery slopes of USH and higher costs of development in California don't add up anywhere close to an extra $250 million. A key determiner for me, as whether the investment is worth it will be the inclusion of animatronics for the Slinky Coaster, if that's scrapped I would say cancel the project.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Avatar is worth every penny of that $1 billion. There's a ton of innovation in that land, which inflates the price tag. Either Uni got incredibly lucky, or something is fishy with the reported allocation of $250 million for Hogsmeade in Orlando. Hogsmeade in Hollywood reportedly cost $500 million according to the LA Times, and I can't imagine what would make it so much more expensive, even the slippery slopes of USH and higher costs of development in California don't add up anywhere close to an extra $250 million. A key determiner for me, as whether the investment is worth it will be the inclusion of animatronics for the Slinky Coaster, if that's scrapped I would say cancel the project.

A lot of possible innovations have been discussed for Avatar land, but we will need to wait until it opens to see if they deliver on them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom