Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

TalkingHead

I don't have a problem with screens if they're used well.

Spidey and Transformers use screens to create pacing and an expansive space that couldn't exist otherwise. Those attractions have a dozen or more screens.

Gringotts and Kong appear to feel like shorter rides; they have fewer screens, slower pacing, and a start-stop formula that might not be as successful as the other rides.

I haven't watched the Kong video, but I wouldn't care that screens are used as long as the attraction feels like a full-blown experience. I'm someone who still thinks Gringotts is a good ride that never lived up to the expectations.

Daveeeeed

Because it what makes the ride work. You can't do most of the things they show without them. Super easy to see
You can do it in different ways. The finale could be in 3D, the backgrounds could be in 3D, but there should of been animatronics etc. not to mention on Ratatouille it literally feels like you are walking like a rat (it feels like the vehicle has tiny legs). The sets are so cool, if they would've combined sets and screens that would make it a headliner, but they just had an epic aa at the end to make us satisfied. I am super disappointed by this as I really wanted a reason to go back for something new once I heard about it, but anyway I'm done. Though I probably said it was my opinion and not like it is true like I implied. I'll edit my comment now for the sake of confusion,

Daveeeeed

Also, universal doesn't cut costs like Disney has been doing.
But an initial starting budget restricts you whether or not you cut budgets. If you can spend 200m but get a hundred million cut it is no different than starting at a 100 million. No matter what it is not going to be as good. You can dream all you want at first, but for cost thing shave to be cut, so I am sure that probably happened here.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

But Comcast/Universal are doing neither.
Their budget is clearly nowhere near Transformers. The ride vehicle sucks! It is just like Ellen at Epcot to eat people. They would've used more animatronics etc. I'm tough on Disnwy for NFL, so I gotta be too for Kong. Both look wonderful, and both are disappointing it is as simple as that because both their budgets clearly weren't as high as it needed to be for it to blow your mind.

Daveeeeed

Anyway I really don't want to discuss it anymore it is a pointless endless debate, but I think everyone can agree that a balance is good with screens. I just think they did awful on this ride. Sure it looks beautiful and the aa is stunning, but the story as a whole is bad, and the lack of sets disappoints.

JT3000

Disney has screens and like Universal they use them for good, but Kong used them to make the cost cheaper, and to build quicker in my opinion.

Wrong. This ride was originally slated to replace Disaster, and it probably would have just been the 360 scene and not much else. They expanded the project, they didn't scale it back to save on costs. There's opinion and then there's fact.

Mike S

Original Poster
I don't have a problem with screens if they're used well.

Spidey and Transformers use screens to create pacing and an expansive space that couldn't exist otherwise. Those attractions have a dozen or more screens.

Gringotts and Kong appear to feel like shorter rides; they have fewer screens, slower pacing, and a start-stop formula that might not be as successful as the other rides.

I haven't watched the Kong video, but I wouldn't care that screens are used as long as the attraction feels like a full-blown experience. I'm someone who still thinks Gringotts is a good ride that never lived up to the expectations.
Well if it helps the 360 scene isn't really a stop like what could be seen in Gringotts. It simulates plenty of movement like what's seen in Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey, and Transformers. For me that scene will be enough to differentiate it from other "screenz" rides at least until F&F. I sure hope that one turns out better than I'm expecting...

Daveeeeed

Wrong. This ride was originally slated to replace Disaster, and it probably would have just been the 360 scene and not much else. They expanded the project, they didn't scale it back to save costs. There's opinion and then there's fact.
Didn't know that, thanks for informing me, but that actually provides evidence that is is not going to cost so so much like some other rides. It was just a part for a team tour and now just a very expanded version. It is just an extended segment of the team tour. It will always fall into that category of SDMT where it was good, but not great. For Kong The ride vehicles are nothing special, the story is bad, and every other major screen ride does it better. The queue and exterior are great, but the ride has to be great for that to make a huge difference.

TalkingHead

Well if it helps the 360 scene isn't really a stop like what could be seen in Gringotts. It simulates plenty of movement like what's seen in Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey, and Transformers. For me that scene will be enough to differentiate it from other "screenz" rides at least until F&F. I sure hope that one turns out better than I'm expecting...

Gotcha. I haven't watched the full ride video but I see what you mean. I still think Uni has of late relied too much on using screens as mini-movies. What made Spidey so revolutionary was the mix of screens and movement. Wish they'd concentrate on that.

Disneyhead'71

Definitely won't disagree with you there. I'm sure a lot has to do with economics. For a fraction of the cost, you can roll out something that seems like an E-ticket AND have the ability to change the show out with much more ease and less revamping costs should guests ever grow tired of it.

But yeah, I do miss the Universal of the 80s/90s when everything was big, big, big with real AAs, fire, and various practical FX. Heck, they even made real tornadoes!!! I'm sure the maintenance/supply costs for all of that was astronomical though, another reason why they've made the switch to screens.
You seem to be implying Kong is a cheap ride. And a quick switch out of the ride film to a different theme would be doable.

Have you ridden it?

Mike S

Original Poster
Didn't know that, thanks for informing me, but that actually provides evidence that is is not going to cost so so much like some other rides. It was just a part for a team tour and now just a very expanded version. It is just an extended segment of the team tour. It will always fall into that category of SDMT where it was good, but not great. For Kong The ride vehicles are nothing special, the story is bad, and every other major screen ride does it better. The queue and exterior are great, but the ride has to be great for that to make a huge difference.
All of USF's original big headliners (Kong, Earthquake, Jaws, etc.) were expanded tram tour segments.
Gotcha. I haven't watched the full ride video but I see what you mean. I still think Uni has of late relied too much on using screens as mini-movies. What made Spidey so revolutionary was the mix of screens and movement. Wish they'd concentrate on that.
Yeah I avoided videos of this ride but I did watch a video of Kong 360 some years ago so I know a bit of what to expect with that scene. Plenty of movement with the motion platform the truck sits on as well.
You seem to be implying Kong is a cheap ride. And a quick switch out of the ride film to a different theme would be doable.

Have you ridden it?
Only one cheap ride is opening in Orlando this summer and we all know which one it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom