Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

JT3000

Don't act like the general public isn't having the same discussions that we are having, was looking on the youtube comments and man is the ride getting slammed, the ride itself looks fine to me, the que looks awesome. It was a bit anticlimactic with the kong bust sized animatronic sadly in my opinion. These are just observations though. I'm still excited because I'll be riding it sometime in the next month, will post a final review then.

I've read the YouTube comments, and to be frank, that site is infested with Disney fanboys. I don't know why, but they flock there in droves, making sure to comment on any video related to competing parks so they can remind everyone how much better Disney is. What you're reading doesn't necessarily reflect the general public.

I'm not talking about the technology, I'm talking about these two specific show pieces.

What would you rather see? I could understand thinking it's lazy of them to recycle the 360 footage, but you're even criticizing them for including a Kong AA in a new Kong ride. Yes, they've done it before, but why does that matter? Seriously, what alternative would have made this a better attraction in your eyes?

But I will also say that you'd be very hard-pressed to compare Reign of Kong with the new POTC and not easily hand POTC the belt when it comes to that fight.

It looks pretty good, but I'm not nearly as impressed as some others, just based on the video. You could say it suffers from some of the same problems as this ride, especially when it comes to using screens in places where they didn't need to.

Last edited:

MagicGoofy

The YouTube comments could always be from readers of Inside the Magic and not all general public.

yeah I agree. Its not all of the general public but I know everyone that comments on there aren't all theme park ethuisiasts, etc.

The comments are just hating on the ride for using screens, which is pretty much needed because you could not do the things on the screens in this ride with practical effects.

Will if they don't like screens or how they were used in the attraction, than that's a fair opinion. I also agree with you on that the scenes they chose to do couldn't have been practical BUT you cant say that it wasn't possible for them to do a practical scene in addition or in place of one of the scenes. They created that story line so they could have done it to include another practical scene.

Tom Morrow

The comments are just hating on the ride for using screens, which is pretty much needed because you could not do the things on the screens in this ride with practical effects.
Alternatively, you do not have to use a ride concept that requires screens to accomplish. The first few scenes of Kong could have been 100% physical if they didn't feel the need to
show a character getting attacked and carried away by a dinosaur

sonoma15

Alternatively, you do not have to use a ride concept that requires screens to accomplish. The first few scenes of Kong could have been 100% physical if they didn't feel the need to
show a character getting attacked and carried away by a dinosaur
I know but I'm saying what does happen on this ride can't really be shown physically, I know if the ride was different but I mean what happens on the current ride, if that makes sense.

Mike S

Original Poster
So we aren't aloud to talk about the screens or how they were used on kong? I'm not debating on screen based attractions and more/so how they were used and if they could have balanced it more.
It's been popping up a lot lately in different threads across both forums I read. Just put that up before it could develop into the usual stuff. If it doesn't that's fine.

MagicGoofy

Correct me if I'm wrong but on USH's kong, you cant see the top of the screen right? is it because of the lower tram/roof?

edit:never mind, just watched a pov of that too, you can see the tops on that screen too. It seems like the middle seats are the best to be fully immersed into those scenes but the right side gets the best view of kong.

Last edited:

Mike S

Original Poster
Correct me if I'm wrong but on USH's kong, you cant see the top of the screen right? is it because of the lower tram/roof?
I'm not sure as I haven't been. I wanted to when I was in California last February (2015) to get a kind of "sneak peek" of Reign of Kong.

JT3000

You can see the top of the screens from the end seats. In addition to the vehicle being different, our 360 screens are apparently a different size than Hollywood's. Someone else would have to elaborate on that though.

Mike S

Original Poster
You can see the top of the screens from the end seats. In addition to the vehicle being different, our 360 screens are apparently a different size than Hollywood's. Someone else would have to elaborate on that though.
Correct. From what I've read the smaller screen length here compared to Hollywoods that's as long as the tram actually improves it.

JassiSidhu2000

Expectations were high because of liars pretending to be IN THE KNOWS. Go back and read this thread, although few said posters have slyly gone back and reedited their posts (how tragic). Too many lies pretending this attraction to be more than what it offered.

Nice attraction.But am sick to death of screen based attractions. We'll have more with Fast N Furious too and Jimmy Fallon.

Universal need to mix it up.

imperius

I get Universal has a lot of screen attractions but that's what they have and it's what works for them. Can't say people are getting sick of it when their attendance grew last year.

Mike S

Original Poster
To give us something else to talk about this is what the extended queue looks like from today's soft opening.
image.jpeg

https://twitter.com/braedon_godin/status/741372594994085888

From what I read it'll only be used for the first few months and then no more. 2 hour line btw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom