Avatar Land...think Disney regrets the idea?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ahh okay. I got you! Sorry bout that. Although, It's still a valid point to express in threads like this regardless.
Under Iger's reign there has definitely been more focus on existing IP and/or characters over rides based on original concepts. EE may have opened under Iger, but I'm pretty sure the concept came out of the Eisner era. Some of it has to do with the competition down the street I think. Avatar does fit in with the trend. Picking a known IP over something like the "Beastly Kingdom" concept. For me personally I don't really care if the concept is based on existing IP as long as it's done well.

Matt_Black

I'm guessing it is too late for Disney to change their minds and replace this whole idea with Beastly Kingdom.......... Even with Pete's Dragon just around the corner..

No, because Pete's Dragon is gonna SUCK. Calling it now. How can I be so sure? Three words- No. Doc. Terminus. A Pete's Dragon movie without Doc Terminus is no darn movie that I want to see!

RSoxNo1

It still doesn't matter whether Disney uses characters or not... WDW's most popular attractions that experience long wait times include..

Soarin'
Expedition Everest
Space Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Tower of Terror
Jungle Cruise
The Haunted Mansion
Spaceship Earth

Heck, even Splash Mountain uses characters that are from what used to be considered a very hated movie.

So Avatarland will be good... If the quality is good.
Quality should always win out, but the attractions that are considered classics are typically created out of whole cloth. There are exceptions, but a greater number are totally original concepts.

The parks should be a healthy blend of both, but personally I feel that Epcot shouldn't have IP based attractions.

HouseHacker97

ok i really think that the minority of people who disliked the movie are trying to control the conversation about avatar land and are using this thread (and SO MANY others) to try to manipulate others and make them believe it that "most people hated the movie", that the "land will be a failure", and that "disney regrets the decision to create the land". This was the most successful movie of all time. If you're concerned that the movie lacks enough fan base, keep in mind that 3 additional sequels are coming almost immediately after the land opens, which give it's storyline and fanbase a chance to grow larger. It's so unfair for the few people who didn't like the film to ruin the excitement of the clear majority by assuming any kind of failure.

Matt_Black

ok i really think that the minority of people who disliked the movie are trying to control the conversation about avatar land and are using this thread (and SO MANY others) to try to manipulate others and make them believe it that "most people hated the movie", that the "land will be a failure", and that "disney regrets the decision to create the land". This was the most successful movie of all time. If you're concerned that the movie lacks enough fan base, keep in mind that 3 additional sequels are coming almost immediately after the land opens, which give it's storyline and fanbase a chance to grow larger. It's so unfair for the few people who didn't like the film to ruin the excitement of the clear majority by assuming any kind of failure.

Yes, let's also not forget it was nominated for numerous Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director.

FrankLapidus

Nonsense.

Its a simple difference of opinion that has existed from the day this was announced, it doesn't equate to an attempt to manipulate or control the viewpoint of others and it is not "so unfair" for such a difference of opinion to exist. Some people don't like the film and aren't interested in the land; what's wrong with that?

"But its the highest grossing film" gets repeated over and over but that isn't suddenly going to make someone who doesn't like the film reevaluate their opinion and decide that they're a fan after all. It is what it is, this has never been a universally popular move on Disney's part and it likely never will be.

If the enthusiasm of the so-called "clear majority" (I'm not so sure about that myself) can be so easily dampened by a minority then maybe that enthusiasm isn't really that strong to begin with.

Last edited:

twebber55

completely agree
they ve never once considered it a regret
just folks with great imaginations LOL

Marlins1

Pandora is part of an overall project that will change AK's traffic flow. Many people will stay longer or choose to come at night instead of just spending a few hours there in the morning. ROL and the Sunset Safari have almost always been linked to this project when it is discussed by Disney including the initial announcement. This could help in many areas including the current overcrowding of MK at night or just providing an additional night time option. It was easy to see that Pandora was not getting a Potter type reaction as soon as they announced it - maybe it was never intended to.

FrankLapidus

completely agree
they ve never once considered it a regret
just folks with great imaginations LOL

Unless you have some sort of inside knowledge then how do you know they haven't?

There is no right or wrong opinion when it comes to something like this, some people just seem to take it personally when someone does have a negative thing to say about Avatar or this land.

Do the "folks with great imaginations" include WDW1974 who made several posts about problems with this project?

twebber55

Unless you have some sort of inside knowledge then how do you know they haven't?

There is no right or wrong opinion when it comes to something like this, some people just seem to take it personally when someone does have a negative thing to say about Avatar or this land.

Do the "folks with great imaginations" include WDW1974 who made several posts about problems with this project?
well you calling the guys post nonsense can be taken personally as well, right?

FrankLapidus

well you calling the guys post nonsense can be taken personally as well, right?

I don't think so but if you want to then go right ahead.

The post in itself is fine.

The insinuation that someone having a different opinion to your own is an act of manipulation or attempt to control others' viewpoint is what I believe is nonsense.

I have no absolutely problem with others' opinions differing from my own, I enjoy discussing those differences as I have on the subject of Avatar, but I take some issue when a difference of opinion unfairly turns into accusations of ulterior motives.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

The same people that are complaining about this being built at Walt Disney World would be saying how great it is if it was being built at Universal.

And if Disney had picked up the rights to Potter...

"UGH! Another outside IP? Where's the imagination to come up with original IPs? Where's the love for the classic IP's? Is Bob Iger that ashamed of the proud Disney tradition?!?"

Mike S

"UGH! Another outside IP? Where's the imagination to come up with original IPs? Where's the love for the classic IP's? Is Bob Iger that ashamed of the proud Disney tradition?!?"
Here's the big difference between Disney and Universal when it comes to that topic. Universal has always been about IP from day 1. That's what we expect from them with the only exception out of all three USA parks being the Lost Continent. Different story with Disney who brought us classics like PotC and HM. Also, Disney's pitch for Potter was TSMM with wands. For that reason I'm ecstatic they didn't get it. Not just because it's "outside IP."

twebber55

Here's the big difference between Disney and Universal when it comes to that topic. Universal has always been about IP from day 1. That's what we expect from them with the only exception out of all three USA parks being the Lost Continent. Different story with Disney who brought us classics like PotC and HM. Also, Disney's pitch for Potter was TSMM with wands. For that reason I'm ecstatic they didn't get it. Not just because it's "outside IP."
and it seems Universal is going no IP for Volcano Bay as well

FrankLapidus

That's probably true with some, I can think of one poster its definitely true of

I can only speak for myself but my issue isn't IP vs Non-IP. I don't have a problem if Disney want to bring IP's into the parks at WDW but that doesn't mean I'm going to like every IP they do bring in. In this case I don't; irrespective of its theme or how much money it made, I don't want to see Avatar in a Disney Park. Its just personal preference, I'm never going to like it nor will I ever be convinced its a good thing but I'm not interested in nor have I tried bringing people over to my way of thinking.

It is what it is, there isn't a right or wrong opinion to have one way or the other. If the end result lives up to the expectations of those who are in favour of it then great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom