On property vs. Off Property

dweezil78

If you are looking for anything close to resembling an immersive WDW-like trip and want to take advantage of Magic Morning hours, then by all means stay at the Grand Californian. It's the closest in spirit to a WDW style resort. Disneyland Hotel is great too and has a lot of great additions in the past 5 or so years, but it doesn't quite have that WDW resort feel to it.

As others have said, you can stay just as close to the parks -- if not closer -- by staying at a hotel off property... BUT... that immersive Disney vacation getaway feel will definitely be lost as you will be reminded just how small the Disneyland Resort property is and how it is surrounded by the city of Anaheim. On the flipside, you will undoubtedly save a ton of $$$ and still be extremely conveniently located.

Phroobar

I've stayed at all three hotels even though I live only half hour away. We did it for a special night out and to let the kids enjoy the pools. However, we tried some off campus hotels too and the kids were just as happy if the place had a decent pool.

One of our favorite off property hotels is the Howard Johnsons directly across the street from Disneyland. It is actually closer to the main entrance than the disneyland hotel. It has a Tomorrowland feel to the buildings and is well maintained. It has a small water park attached to it.

When it comes down to staying on or off property, you have to think about how important the room and the pool are to you. If you are going to be spending most of the time in the parks or DTD then the room becomes less important. If you have little ones the pool will become important.

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Have you been to Disneyland before? If not, the shock you'll likely experience when you realize how different DLR is from WDW would be dampened by staying on property. You can save a TON of money and actually stay closer to the gates by staying in an off property hotel/motel, but I far and away prefer staying at the Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel. You'll maintain the "Disney immersion" by never having to leave the parks, DTD, & your resort.

If you're the kind of person that buys into the Disney magic, I'd very highly recommend staying on property.

This will be my first time! I've read over and over again how different the park experience is from Walt Disney World.. just not so sure about hotels!

Thank you for your help!!

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Thank you everyone for your help! This sees even tougher now! LOL
Rent points. Get a DVC room at the GCH with theme park view and watch the mickey color wheel at night. Check out WoC from your balcony. Walk to either park from your room in 5 minutes. Use the GCH entrance from hotel courtyard to DCA. If you are a bubble person, this is your way to do it right.

DVC will also give you a kitchenette in a studio or a full kitchen in a 1 bedroom.

*1023*

JillC LI

I always stay onsite at WDW even though we rent a car. For our first trip to DLR last year, I was very happy we had booked the Best Western directly across the street from the gates. Convenient, cheap, and a roll out of bed to the magic.

CJR

I thought I would drop my two cents in.

I think you really want to stay at either the Disneyland Hotel or the Grand California. The HOJO or Best Western are great hotels, but they’re still HOJO and Best Western, albeit, probably among the best ones in the chains. Still, the theming and feel are not the same as the theming and feel at Disney’s two bigger hotels.

I don’t think you want to stay at Paradise Pier. The hotel wasn’t designed as a Disney hotel and it both feels and looks the part. The pool and overall quality, in my opinion, is worse than staying at the HOJO or Best Western.

For nostalgia, the Disneyland Hotel is the best choice. However, it’s basically an entirely different hotel from the original version and I don’t think there are any original components remaining. It is slightly cheaper than the Grand Californian and, in my opinion, is about equivalent in quality, after the last remodel. I actually like the pool area better, but I can also see why some people disagree. We always eat at Goofy’s Kitchen when we stay there, plus it’s also very easy to check out Trader Sam’s when you're right there.

Grand Californian is a A LOT like the Wilderness Lodge. As a couple of others have said, staying around DCA is better, and the Grizzly Peak area is awesome. I don’t ever watch fireworks from the hotel since I feel odd if I’m not in the park, so things like that or WoC have never been selling points for me. I find Grizzly Peak to be more quiet compared to the Paradise Pier area, but keep in mind, they’re not all that far apart.

I love to save money, but I can’t help but splurge and stay at either DLH or GCH when doing a Disneyland trip. My thoughts, if you have the money and don’t mind the cost, “Treat Yo Self”.

Mickey81

Don't really want to high jack someone else's thread.....but we will be in Disneyland the week after Christmas...under those circumstances, is it worth it to stay at a Disney hotel for the extra hour each day? We are planning on the Disneyland Hotel.

GiveMeTheMusic

Don't really want to high jack someone else's thread.....but we will be in Disneyland the week after Christmas...under those circumstances, is it worth it to stay at a Disney hotel for the extra hour each day? We are planning on the Disneyland Hotel.

If you can swing it budget wise, yes. It's hell week and you'll need every advantage you can get.

mightynine

I'm a WDW regular who made his first trip to DL a few years ago who stayed off-property.

I don't see any real benefit to staying on-property at DL. If you have the money, go ahead, but I'd rather have those dollars available for somewhere else.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn, maybe 5 minutes by shuttle, and were just fine - but the hotel for us is really just a place to sleep and shower.

Texas84

If you're a Holiday Inn points guy like me, there is a new Express opening this fall on Manchester behind Harbor next to the freeway. I was going to book the usual on Walnut for January and saw it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom