Big changes coming to Annual Passes

TP2000

Is "charter" just their new language for "renewal"?

Apparently. Like you are a "charter member". It's dumb, just call it a "renewal" since that's what you are doing.

Someone in a Celebration cubicle farm thought that was a smart way to prove their importance to the company, by changing the phrasing to "charter" instead of just using plain English and calling it a "renewal". Super dumb cubicle culture on display there.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Apparently. Like you are a "charter member". It's dumb, just call it a "renewal" since that's what you are doing.

Someone in a Celebration cubicle farm thought that was a smart way to prove their importance to the company, by changing the phrasing to "charter" instead of just using plain English and calling it a "renewal". Super dumb cubicle culture on display there.

Steve's article list both renewal and charter, though. That's why I am so confused right now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Charter is not renewal. It is a special class of pass sold in the early days.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
By my calculations if you're a Florida resident who had the regular, 365 day no blackout and no water parks pass, when you renew at the platinum rate, your monthly payments are going to go up by about $11 a month if you used the monthy payment option. I was paying $36 and change and it looks like when I renew it'll be around $47 and change. I tried factoring in tax. Unless I'm doing the math wrong.

scout68

This does it for us.

We (DVC family of 4) are headed down for our 12 day trip at the end of the month. We have been AP holders in the past but currently do not have on. We purchased 10 day hoppers with the thought that we would upgrade while we were there.

That kind of scratch for 3.25 parks and second class treatment has done it for us.

We have two contracts, one bigger and one small. The big one will be on the block after this trip.

I could see this day coming for quite a while and it still stings.

Seacrest out.

Kosmo1986

ok...so I am ok with this i guess. I have a seasonal pass and while it is a hike, i do like the added parking. It almost makes me want to get a Gold for the photopass.

I realize this is a hot button issue. If you haven't been to the parks lately you wouldn't understand. The parks are PACKED, everyday all day, slow season, busy season, mornings, nights. Truthfully this is really only partially about money. People will pay for Disney no matter the price. I went to food and Wine and got my passholders wine glass last weekend. The passholders line to get a stamp/glass was over 30 minutes long with over 20 cast members working it. It was insane.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
I am going to try to figure this out too. I want to know if it's possible to upgrade to Platinum for the remainer of the pass and just pay the difference but prorated. Also the photopass rules need to be a little clearer. I am a CM but wife is the passholder.
I just got off the phone with Cloe in Passholder services. You can pay the difference from your existing rate of purchase (she said $563, I am not sure that is right) to $649 plus tax and I would get photopass for the next trip. There is no prorated amount (Since my original post is probably five pages back by now, I asked because our AP expires Dec 13 and based on today, we won't be renewing). Also, you can upgrade only one pass however, to get the photos, THAT upgraded pass needs to be scanned. Meaning, since we have four APs if we only upgraded one (roughly $90), we would need to scan that pass at all Photpass Photographers.

She said I would have to upgrade in person.

alphac2005

I have never heard you this angry. I hope a lot more people feel the same way. The only way it will stop is if people stop going through the turnstiles.

I haven't been to WDW in almost 4 years because the pricing was getting out of control IMHO. In 10 years I had seen the cost of a trip increase by 50% which is so far from inflation rates it isn't even funny. Iger said many years ago that he was going to rid of discounts and he has successfully taken any value out of a family vacation to the Vacation Kingdom. Hope he gets a nice fat bonus :mad:

We're in the same boat. We haven't been since November 2011 to the parks and we just spent a week down in Orlando, all at Universal. For a 1-day ticket to the MK, it was nearly $600 for my wife and kids, which to me is unjustifiable. We do well for ourselves, but as far as I'm concerned, a WDW weeklong vacation is unaffordable. The life has been sucked out of the property with this endless profiteering and it doesn't abate, rather accelerates. I can't underscore what immense fans we were of WDW and having lived down in Orlando for many years, the decline of quality and skyrocketing price increases are all too familiar at this point.

We stayed at a top Loews Resort at Universal and have been throughly impressed time and again. You get a quality high end property at a much lower rate than WDW (understatement here) and their loyalty program brings some excellent perks. We renew our Universal APs at roughly $200 each, so it costs us 1k for the tickets for the year. I simply don't understand how people afford going on WDW vacations at this point. It seems to be either mountains of credit card debt or saving every last cent to go towards the trip. That isn't that way to go about things.

I priced our week at WDW versus Universal and our room at WDW would have been of a much lesser resort and nearly $700 more for the room let alone the ticket pricing. I'm not getting into a WDW vs. Universal thing, rather pointing out that at least there is an option that provides a wonderful resort that can be done without breaking the bank.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom