A Spirited Perfect Ten

UpAllNight

I've said it before on this board but I thought I'd weigh in again...

I'm going to Orlando for the first time in 11years next month, and going with 3 'newbies'. All they talk about is Disney World. I know that given our age demographic, they will highly likely have as good a time at Universal, but all the excitement from them and all the talk is about Disney World. I know that after the trip, they will reflect on other great experiences outside of Disney.

And this is what concerns me about the direction Disney World has taken in terms of the quantity of attractions added. I obviously follow theme parks more than the average guest so I'm more aware of 'goings on' but I will naturally compare how the parks are now to my last visit, and the difference between Universal and Disney in terms of new attractions and experiences is staggering. I feel like there is a possibility Disney will do some pretty neglectful brand damage unless it invests and quick; in 11 years Dhs has added Toy Story Mania that interests me, and star tours 2, whilst Universal Studios has added Diagon, Simpsons, Dispicable me, Transformers, The Mummy, Rip rockit...returning visitors notice these things even if they do not have an active interest in following theme parks.

As for my trip, there for 17 days and Disney will get maybe 8 days of our time. This will probably break down as 3 days in the magic kingdom, 1 each for Dhs, Epcot and Animal kingdom, and the 2 waterparks, and we will probably hit Magic kingdom on the night of the 2 waterparks. If I felt there was enough to do, we would probably like to spend more time in Dhs and Animal Kingdom.

And just a note on fastpass plus, I can understand Disneys desire for the system. But it kind of takes away the spontaneity if you have your day set out before you arrive, I much prefer the paper ticket system (admittingly I'm typing this before I've experienced it in practice)

Cesar R M

What does a Jewelry sponsor for Wishes have ANYTHING to do with Universal?
rustledmyjimmies.jpg

Goofyernmost

At this point I've concluded that if you can't appreciate Little Mermaid for what it is, you're just far too jaded for me to ever take seriously. It's a superb dark ride (better now with the blacklighting) with one of the best queues in the whole of Orlando (and one of WDW's best queues ever to be honest) and a great meet & greet. It's not Harry Potter, and it's not Transformers. It's a friggen omni-mover dark ride that clocks in at 6 minutes (longer, by the way, than all but 2 of Universals entire line up) with some superior animatronics and is adored by it's demographic (CHILDREN). It's also a major people-eater.

I don't understand how people don't see it as literally one of the quintessential Disney dark rides, it is a perfect fit for MK/New Fantasyland. I'd be upset if anything else took it's place because I don't want nothing but e-tickets and show stoppers- especially in Fantasyland which has never had rides of that sort in the first place.
That's easy, it doesn't contain enough excitement to cause cranial embolisms. So.. How can it be good.

Obviously, because financial institutions never think in terms of percentages. :rolleyes:
We've discussed this before and I know that you are correct, however, those financial institutions are also aware of what numbers are connected to those percentages. They have to know that in order to know if those are good results or bad results overall. As said before 33% of 1000, is far less attractive looking then 20% of 5000. Without the percent of what factor, percentages are meaningless.

ABQ

Why the hell does this form always devolve into "Disney versus universal"?

If I wanted to discuss universal, I would go to Orlando United message boards.

Most of what they do just doesn't interest me one iota. I honestly don't care especially in that Disney has made it completely clear that they will not respond to anything that universal does.
You could go to the Main St USA Bypass thread where it somehow turned into a WDW vs DLR thread. No idea how that happened, as they weren't even talking bypasses by instead Hatbox Ghosts. When there's no new news or rumours, it always turns into WDW vs xxx it seems.

Goofyernmost

Disney's getting into oversaturation mode with these contests...
Not really, I'm starting to doubt that anyone ever wins anything anyway. They just fire up people to the possibility and then conveniently forget to actually have a drawing. Logically, since we are probably more aware of the announcement of these contests, the rate of success should be much higher with those that know immediately when to enter.

I have yet to ever hear anyone say that they won one of these alleged contests. They seem to publish no list of winners and expect us to just say, well, apparently we just don't happen to know anyone that won. But, there were winners, yes sir!

Last edited:

ABQ

Not really, I'm starting to doubt that anyone ever wins anything anyway. They just fire up people to the posibility and then conveniently forget to actually have a drawing. Logically, since we are probably more aware of the announcement of these contests, the rate of success should be much higher with those that know immediately when to enter.

I have yet to ever hear anyone say that they won one of these alleged contests. They seem to publish no list of winners and expect us to just say, well, apparently we just don't happen to know anyone that won. But, there were winners, yes sir!
I feel the same thing, so I saw what you could do to get a list of such a contest.
Example, Disney Flip Side Sweepstakes, which was a trip to WDW, including one night in the Castle Suite.

11. RULES & WINNERS’ LIST: For the names of the Winners (after February 15, 2015 and before April 30, 2015) and/or Rules (before January 31, 2015), send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Disney Flip Side Sweepstakes, Winners/Rules, c/o Ventura Associates International LLC, Dept. BW, 60 East 42 Street, Suite 650, New York, NY 10165. A copy of the Rules may also be obtained by printing this web page.

http://cdn.dolimg.com/parks/flipside/flip_side_official_rules_final.pdf

Longhairbear

Just curious. Why go to see an action movie if the action triggers a migraine? And why watch a Blu Ray or DVD movie with action sequences if you are going to fast forward through the action? It sort of defeats the purpose of and the plot of the movie. It is easy enough to find out what the movie is about before you go, buy, rent, or watch.
This seems like "I want to watch this movie, but I can't watch this movie, so I'll just see part of it." Whatever works for you.
Not every action sequence will trigger a migraine, I can tell by the quick edit, and jerky camera if it will. I fast forward through fight scenes as I find them boring, and go on for too long.

Goofyernmost

I feel the same thing, so I saw what you could do to get a list of such a contest.
Example, Disney Flip Side Sweepstakes, which was a trip to WDW, including one night in the Castle Suite.

11. RULES & WINNERS’ LIST: For the names of the Winners (after February 15, 2015 and before April 30, 2015) and/or Rules (before January 31, 2015), send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Disney Flip Side Sweepstakes, Winners/Rules, c/o Ventura Associates International LLC, Dept. BW, 60 East 42 Street, Suite 650, New York, NY 10165. A copy of the Rules may also be obtained by printing this web page.

http://cdn.dolimg.com/parks/flipside/flip_side_official_rules_final.pdf
It's a published contest which over time for them, becomes totally ignored. You want people to believe it it... publish the winners. You don't have to give full names, just last and location at least attach a human to the consciousness of the people that think about entering. Seems pretty basic to me. But no, I have to send a self addressed, stamped enveloped just to find out what I already knew... I didn't win. I'm not that curious, I just eventually, now, in fact, stop caring.

lazyboy97o

Their ride system is being used for the Avatar E Ticket from what I've read.
http://www.vekoma.com/index.php/specialities-and-attractions/panoramic-flight-simulator

I thought that was supposed to be used for Uni's Soarin' with Jimmy Fallon.
Given the tight space, I'd be a bit surprised to see Universal use the Panoramic Flight Simulator as it require different levels for loading. Dynamic Attractions' tilting floor system allows for level loading. It also seems like Universal doesn't use Vekoma a lot (I'm aware that the Panoramic Flight Simulator is a Brogent product sold by Vekoma), and their last big project together has been very troubled (Battlestar Gallactica).

EPCOTCenterLover

At this point I've concluded that if you can't appreciate Little Mermaid for what it is, you're just far too jaded for me to ever take seriously. It's a superb dark ride (better now with the blacklighting) with one of the best queues in the whole of Orlando (and one of WDW's best queues ever to be honest) and a great meet & greet. It's not Harry Potter, and it's not Transformers. It's a friggen omni-mover dark ride that clocks in at 6 minutes (longer, by the way, than all but 2 of Universals entire line up) with some superior animatronics and is adored by it's demographic (CHILDREN). It's also a major people-eater.

I don't understand how people don't see it as literally one of the quintessential Disney dark rides, it is a perfect fit for MK/New Fantasyland. I'd be upset if anything else took it's place because I don't want nothing but e-tickets and show stoppers- especially in Fantasyland which has never had rides of that sort in the first place.
SUPERB dark ride? Really? I like it quite a bit but I cannot agree with your view here. It's a "D" ticket in a prime location with an exterior that screams its an "E" Ticket. Lots of lost potential as far as I'm concerned. But I do enjoy that everyone has differing opinions. It's what makes this board interesting.

EPCOTCenterLover

SUPERB dark ride? Really? I like it quite a bit but I cannot agree with your view here. It's a "D" ticket in a prime location with an exterior that screams its an "E" Ticket. Lots of lost potential as far as I'm concerned. But I do enjoy that everyone has differing opinions. It's what makes this board interesting.

MerlinTheGoat

Not a big fan of the Little Mermaid ride, very mediocre. And that seems to be the general consensus too, including Disneyland goers. It has a couple of cool moments, and i am a fan of the Ursula AA, but overall it's a huge letdown. Superb my butt, i wouldn't even give it D ticket status (and it was being touted as an E "lite" ticket).

It could have been fantastic had they instead gone with Tony Baxter's LM ride pitch from the early 90's (originally intended for Paris i think but could have easily been resurrected for WDW's LM ride at the very least). Provided the proper talent and budget been provided anyways.

I much prefer the Mine Train, even with its 2-3 missing show scenes that were cut and lackluster external when compared to the concept art and absence of a decent night time lighting package (the single mine scene we did get is however pretty great imho).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom