DHS New "Flex" Theater

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
This has been discussed elsewhere but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Back on 3/26 this permit was filed. Contractor is H o a r Construction and it has the default one year expiration.

854 Sunset Blvd - DHS Flex Space

Initially I wasn't sure what this was going to be, but @SeaCastle provided some more info...

"Found some plans filed recently for a DHS black box theater "flex space" on the parking lot between RnRollercoaster and Tower of Terror."

2ueplwp.png

I am assuming it is going here, still waiting for @SeaCastle to confirm...

capture-jpg.90390

I thought they were joking when they said that my Slayer cover band was getting its own theater! Way to go Disney!

doctornick

I don't think they need 1,000 seats for the parents...

Depends on how they do such training. With AAs or "live" characters on screen (like Crush in Turtle Time), I could see it being more like Laugh Floor in terms of appeal. Also, if the training was open to adults as well, that would probably pack some people in.

roj2323

This has been discussed elsewhere but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Back on 3/26 this permit was filed. Contractor is H o a r Construction and it has the default one year expiration.

854 Sunset Blvd - DHS Flex Space

Initially I wasn't sure what this was going to be, but @SeaCastle provided some more info...

"Found some plans filed recently for a DHS black box theater "flex space" on the parking lot between RnRollercoaster and Tower of Terror."

2ueplwp.png

I am assuming it is going here, still waiting for @SeaCastle to confirm...

capture-jpg.90390

It's interesting that the building is about 40ft tall or slightly more. It should hold quite a few people with bleacher style seating (removable presumably) installed.

ToTBellHop

Beginning to think that my 2020 guestimate of any Studios expansions/makeovers might have been optimistic on the timetable.
Yeah. If they can't close Streets of America until this theater opens, then they can't even start clearing until 2016. Never mind why they are only now getting to building this necessary replacement theater in an area with no guest access. I'm getting the impression that this project is in a continual state of flux.

Progress.City

HA! I love how Disney goes out of their way to make HUGE and EXCITING projects look small, boring, and insignificant! This is (simply put) an empty building being built between two other buildings, which just happen to be E-ticket show buildings.

FACT: When Disney expands DHS, they will need buildings to house this expansion.

FACT: Here is a permit to build a general use building that could house a small expansion.

Small, insignificant, yes. But, it's the first, and there may be more to follow. Empty and boring? Yes, but it could be a future home to an attraction, restaurant, or gift shop.

This is the beginning of the DHS expansion, IMHO!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
HA! I love how Disney goes out of their way to make HUGE and EXCITING projects look small, boring, and insignificant! This is (simply put) an empty building being built between two other buildings, which just happen to be E-ticket show buildings.

FACT: When Disney expands DHS, they will need buildings to house this expansion.

FACT: Here is a permit to build a general use building that could house a small expansion.

Small, insignificant, yes. But, it's the first, and there may be more to follow. Empty and boring? Yes, but it could be a future home to an attraction, restaurant, or gift shop.

Disney hasn't said anything about this project at all so they aren't trying to make it look like anything at this point. It seems likely that this is exactly what it says it is, a flexible theater space in an area that is unlikely to get major work in an expansion, so they can free up space near where major expansion work will occur.

ToTBellHop

No. The beginning of DHS expansion was BLT closing. No one denies that an expansion is coming. It obviously is. The debate is over the pace. Will it be glacial or tectonic?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom