A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

I would argue that there has been a noticeable uptick in maintenance as well as infrastructure improvements since George K took over leadership at WDW. Maybe that's coincidence, but it seemed like a sharp change.
Hopefully he will continue the trend for better.
Pirates is really in dire help of a refurb.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Have any of you actually been and spent more than 5 minutes in the new sections of the Hub? A concrete wasteland it's not. I stand by what I said. The Hub is looking better than it has in a long time, and if you can't see that then there is something wrong.
While it may look better than it has in a long time, a better question would be; Does it look better than the original design?

Form was sacrificed for function in the new hub design. Thats not to say it looks bad, but does the functionality truly outweigh the ornamental beauty of the original design? There is no right or wrong as it becomes an issue of preference. Some simply prefer the benefits of the functionality sans a more complete theme while others place a higher emphasis on artistic integrity.

74' spoke about "layered theming" in a previous post and I feel this is a good example of the loss of a "layer". The castle was previously surrounded by a heavier layer of greenery. The trees and (inaccessible) grass and flower areas not only served as a physical layer of separation but also a visual layer of separation. It flowed with the moat and created depth. IMO it had a much more unique appearance of how a castle courtyard would appear after a breaching the end of a forest.

Before:
mktrees3.jpg

after:
mkhub1.jpg

gmajew

Premium Member
While it may look better than it has in a long time, a better question would be; Does it look better than the original design?

Form was sacrificed for function in the new hub design. Thats not to say it looks bad, but does the functionality truly outweigh the ornamental beauty of the original design? There is no right or wrong as it becomes an issue of preference. Some simply prefer the benefits of the functionality sans a more complete theme while others place a higher emphasis on artistic integrity.

74' spoke about "layered theming" in a previous post and I feel this is a good example of the loss of a "layer". The castle was previously surrounded by a heavier layer of greenery. The trees and (inaccessible) grass and flower areas not only served as a physical layer of separation but also a visual layer of separation. It flowed with the moat and created depth. IMO it had a much more unique appearance of how a castle courtyard would appear after a breaching the end of a forest.

Before:
View attachment 88635

after:
View attachment 88637

I have to say yes it is better.... People are actually enjoying the space and the openness.... If it was just concrete and not allowed to walk on it then we would have an issue but this area is actually usable and enjoyable space!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I have to say yes it is better.... People are actually enjoying the space and the openness.... If it was just concrete and not allowed to walk on it then we would have an issue but this area is actually usable and enjoyable space!
As I said, its a matter of preference. People actually enjoyed the space in its unusable state as well. But if you feel the desire to declare it is better regardless of personal preference, fine.

Rodan75

Before:
View attachment 88635

after:
View attachment 88637

this picture would be more appropriate at similar guest load through the hub. The new version, by adding more functionality, makes it so much better.

Funmeister

Sorry for the late reply, my daddy kept picking up the phone and kicking me off AOL- not used to me being home this week.

To your point: considering (outside of peak) the park closes at 5pm- I would think it safe to assume a night time safari wouldn't occur before 5pm- but how could anyone know what time nightfall occurs? Additionally- if that occurs simultaneously with ROL in early 2016- shouldn't Disney go a month of dining before the rush?

Hey, you know more about running a park, restaurant- and the needs and attendance of said parks and restaurants than Disney ever could- why they haven't hired you yet, I'll never know.

If you are assuming then you are jumping to a conclusion. But you don't do that do you? I have more time with the company than you ever will bud. lol Keep wishing upon that star! "ZING!" lol

gmajew

Premium Member
As I said, its a matter of preference. People actually enjoyed the space in its unusable state as well. But if you feel the desire to declare it is better regardless of personal preference, fine.

That was my personal opinion.... I have said many times but everyones taste is different.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Curious though- in your opinion- do you think they had to do something? I think they did- that hub was getting terrible- during any of the dream along shows, dance parties, FoF and obviously the evening stuff. And actually dangerous during the events/holidays.
Ill say that the overcrowding was becoming a problem. Is what they did the best option to combat it? IMO, no. Alleviating pressure from MK by having the other parks up to snuff in terms of attraction capacity and quality nighttime shows would have been a better solution and perhaps actually dispersed crowds more than the magical wristbands supposedly do. They sort of painted themselves into a corner. Just my opinion.

Cesar R M

Are you the only one who gets to use sarcasm?

Here- let me try again- Night time happens after 5pm. The park closes at 5pm. A night time safari could not happen before 5pm. :banghead:
While I agree with your logic, I am still wondering what the night time safari after nighttime as anything to do with the discussion about table service restaurants (o_O))

Funmeister

I don't even know what's happening anymore. Im just glad its not Universal vs Disney :hilarious:

I was saying that there will be a need for table service restaurant(s) as the park hours will have to be extended beyond the 5pm close to accommodate the nighttime safaris once they begin. They might not start earlier than RoL does in Early 2016- but that was my point. We don't know when Disney might be extending hours permanently, and Disney has a better idea of their timeline and when a restaurant needs to accommodate park visitors than @Funmeister does.
While we can criticize Disney about their snail-pace construction, lack of innovation, or roll out of MDE- one thing we can't criticize them on is their ability to make money. They do that pretty well. :)

LOL All I said was as of right now the park cannot support additional dining outlets. You attacked me and went on a rant about me saying something completely different. If you go back and read I think you misunderstood something I said. I never mentioned any timelines except that additional eateries are not needed until after the capacity is increased. But it seems you read something completely different.

Lee

Adventurer
Have any of you actually been and spent more than 5 minutes in the new sections of the Hub? A concrete wasteland it's not. I stand by what I said. The Hub is looking better than it has in a long time, and if you can't see that then there is something wrong.
I can agree with the bolded part....with a caveat.
It doesn't look better than it has ever.

Nothing is/will be better than the tree-filled park like setting that the hub once had.

CinematicFusion

Before:
View attachment 88635

after:
View attachment 88637

I'll be there this December to check it out. Looking at the pictures, it looks like it might be a good thing. Time will tell but judging by the pictures it does look aesthetically pleasing and it's high on functionality. Reality is the Magic Kingdom is frequented by more people then any other park in the United States and it needed this area.
It doesn't appear they did a bad job.
But...I'll see when I get there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom