The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I think part of the hot spice explanation for those who love it, is probably that those people grew up eating food with those types of hot spices and hot peppers. In my case, I really didn't even try anything hot/spicy until maybe my late teens, and I hated it.
When I lived in Vermont, I had a really good friend that I worked with. Usually twice a week we would go out and have lunch together at one of our better Chinese places. No matter what he ordered he always got a BIG side of the hot, hot, hot yellow mustard that they had there. He was bald, like myself and it used to tickle me no end to watch him eat that practically flaming stuff. Within a minute the water would start to bead on the top of his head and by 3 minutes it was, literally, dripping off his face.

I don't believe he has an idea what Chinese food tastes like. They could serve him the cardboard container, slather the mustard on it and he would not know the difference. I doubt by that time that he could taste anything at all. I don't mind some spice, I was and am kinda partial to Cajan cooking, but, not hot to that extent. The first time I ever had Crayfish was at a parents dinner at Tulane during a visit there. Although somewhat conservative in my eating habits, I decided to be cool and got a big ole plate of them. (BTW, if you've never had crayfish, you need a big ole plate because the amount of meat in one of those little devils is about the size of your pinky fingernail.) Anyway, after getting instructions on how to eat them, I dug right in. After about 4 of them my lips and tongue were completely numb, so after that it was much easier. Wouldn't put it on top of my list of things to eat though and haven't had any since then. That was in 1998.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

TomP

When I lived in Vermont, I had a really good friend that I worked with. Usually twice a week we would go out and have lunch together at one of our better Chinese places. No matter what he ordered he always got a BIG side of the hot, hot, hot yellow mustard that they had there. He was bald, like myself and it used to tickle me no end to watch him eat that practically flaming stuff. Within a minute the water would start to bead on the top of his head and by 3 minutes it was, literally, dripping off his face.

I don't believe he has an idea what Chinese food tastes like. They could serve him the cardboard container, slather the mustard on it and he would not know the difference. I doubt by that time that he could taste anything at all. I don't mind some spice, I was and am kinda partial to Cajan cooking, but, not hot to that extent. The first time I ever had Crayfish was at a parents dinner at Tulane during a visit there. Although somewhat conservative in my eating habits, I decided to be cool and got a big ole plate of them. (BTW, if you've never had crayfish, you need a big ole plate because the amount of meat in one of this little devils is about the size of your pinky fingernail.) Anyway, after getting instructions on how to eat them, I dug right in. After about 4 of them my lips and tongue were completely numb, so after that it was much easier. Wouldn't put it on top of my list of things to eat though and haven't had any since then. That was in 1998.
I like Chinese mustard (wasabi, too) but in small doses. I have a friend that can eat either one by the spoonful.
Crayfish are yummy...fav way to eat is in a lobster bisque type dish. BTW, we called them crawdads when I was a kid.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My DD just marched into the kitchen and said WHY? Why would Disney choose Anna and Elsa for the Flower and Garden Magic band. Like Anna and Elsa represent Flowers and Garden theming?

adhajkl654321.jpg

And then she went on to say Elsa looks like a cross between TinkerBell and a Barbie Doll on the MagicBand.

StarWarsGirl

Well, we are snowed in. Pretty much everything is closed. I even got an email from my dentist's office that they are closed (not that I had an appointment or anything). Courts are all closed, so my dad is also home. His office's policy is that if courts are closed, so are they.

So far no professors have emailed additional assignments. So far. :cautious:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Well, it's in Canada.... So....! That pretty much explains it!
It's Hamilton ... they're weird there.

Actually, this condo is a major tentpole in the revitalization of the entire downtown.
Slowly, slowly, DT Hamilton is looking less like a war zone and more like a safe, decent place to live and work.

I'm not sure how I ended up on their email list, but the whole project looks intriguing to me. We're a few years away from making that kind of move, but eventually I would be happy to live in an apartment style condo, preferably closer to the waterfront. Hubby is leaning more toward a townhouse condo.

Either way, we've decided to stay put here for a few more years, and buy the Florida condo first.
Sadly, a whole bunch of delay notices just went out (due to weather) and a significant number of our home closings have been pushed to the end of the year ... ergo, no $$ available until the new year. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom