Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

pumpkin7

I liked the castle cake. It was my first trip and I was 8 and it was thr coolest thing everrrr.
The hat, well, it was just there. Never got a picture infrint of it, which was odd considering we've been 3 times since it went up. But can totally see why it needs to go.
And despite all these pictures, there are still FB fanbois who are saying "update us when you know where it's going! ".
Landfill. It's going to landfill.

I too am an eager awaiter of the daily update, although, being in the UK, I have to wait until at least 12pm :(

imagineer boy

Those sort of fans of Disney will like whatever Disney throws their way...whatever Disney tells them to like.

Disney is showing good taste with this reconstruction of DHS. Removing the wand was another good taste move.

Let me qualify this: there are some fans who actually liked the hat, the wand, castle cake, etc. That's fine. We can disagree about what looks good and what doesn't.

However, there are some fans who simply like anything Disney does. There are some fans for whom Disney can do no wrong. Anything Disney does deserves praise... Those fans are the reason we can't have nice things.

Yeah, I believe those people are called "Pixie Dust Snuffers'

Brer Panther

I think the only reason as to why the castle cake didn't last as long as the hat and the wand is because Cidnerella Castle is more famojus than Spaceship Earth or the Earful Tower.

Brian

I think the only reason as to why the castle cake didn't last as long as the hat and the wand is because Cidnerella Castle is more famojus than Spaceship Earth or the Earful Tower.

Also, I don't recall hearing of any cancelled weddings because of the hat or wand.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I feel compelled to respond to the last statement. No it isn't the "Disney can do no wrong" people that are the reason why we can't have nice things, it's the, no matter what they do, I will hate it, alleged, fans that prevent that. OK, some didn't see anything cool about the Castle Cake, the Wand or the Hat, some did. Would, for example, so I want to see the Castle Cake permanently, not at all. But was it a creative, colorful, difficult and expensive thing that they offered thinking most would be entertained by it? Sure was, but like I said before, when the fans start to think that WDW is a shrine designed for the worship of everything that is "serious" and mostly "old", then they will be hearing a lot of negative feedback. Since those that liked it, as a temporary structure in all likelihood wouldn't have said anything about it at all, they were not heard, just those that can't find humor or fun in anything that is different.

The sad thing is that in this case the squeaky wheel did get the attention and now they won't do anything at all because the "purists" will think it is wrong. Mistakes are made, no doubt. Keeping the wand and the hat as long as they did was just plain in your face... screw you we will do what we want and pocket the money in our bonuses. However, having them to begin with for the reasons that were stated was not at all a mistake.

I still am amazed at how many people are still upset because a plastic cake was overlaid on a plastic castle. Talk about silliness. At the same time are remorseful that Disney doesn't do overlays for the other attraction. You don't have to be a mathematician to make that add up. Anyway, I know a lot of folks will disagree with me on my evaluation of the subject and that is to be expected because no one wants to think that they have any responsibility for what happens there, but, sometimes negative will drive negative reaction much quicker then positive will drive positive reaction.

I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with you here. You make some great points.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I actually don't think either of these types of fans exist. I think people just enjoy different things. So some things Disney does, one group will hate while another will love it. And when Disney makes a different change, the roles will be reversed.

I'm going to have to disagree with part of this. I do know people who worship anything Disney does simply for the sake that Disney is doing it. Not for the merit, or creativity, or anything like that - worship simply because it is Disney.

There will always be disagreements about what we like/don't like. But for some, Disney can't possibly do anything we don't like because they are infallible Disney.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Who are these "no matter what they do, I will hate it" fans? I don't know anybody like that. Perhaps a few exist but I think most "purists" just want Disney to hold itself to a certain standard. The BAH and Tokyo DisneySea were completed the same year, but I don't think I've ever heard a "purist" say one bad thing about Tokyo DisneySea.

Having just been to Tokyo DisneySea, my only "complaint" is that they take rides down for refurb like each year...which keeps those rides in tip-top shape...so it isn't a complaint. Indy looked great. 20k Leagues looked great. Sinbad, Journey, and a few others were closed for refurb. Dinner in the Roosevelt Room was top notch. And the monorail was running great :)

IMG_1916.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG

Admiral01

Premium Member
I remember buying this little snowglobe because it reminded us of our former favorite Icon at WDW. Couldn't get enough of the Hat or DHS (MGM as it was known). Feel like I'm losing a friend.

I feel bad that Disney allowed this temporary structure to ever be called an icon, and thus let a generation of fans fall in love.

Not to put the BAH in the same boat as Horizons...but to grow attached to something that feels incredible, and then have it ripped away, is painful.

I disliked the hat, because it seemed cheap and misplaced and I loved the original and intended view down Hollywood Blvd. That said, I understand how losing the hat is painful.

Mike S

Having just been to Tokyo DisneySea, my only "complaint" is that they take rides down for refurb like each year...which keeps those rides in tip-top shape...so it isn't a complaint. Indy looked great. 20k Leagues looked great. Sinbad, Journey, and a few others were closed for refurb. Dinner in the Roosevelt Room was top notch. And the monorail was running great :)

View attachment 81389 View attachment 81390
Lucky......

The Rocketeer

I feel compelled to respond to the last statement. No it isn't the "Disney can do no wrong" people that are the reason why we can't have nice things, it's the, no matter what they do, I will hate it, alleged, fans that prevent that. OK, some didn't see anything cool about the Castle Cake, the Wand or the Hat, some did. Would, for example, so I want to see the Castle Cake permanently, not at all. But was it a creative, colorful, difficult and expensive thing that they offered thinking most would be entertained by it? Sure was, but like I said before, when the fans start to think that WDW is a shrine designed for the worship of everything that is "serious" and mostly "old", then they will be hearing a lot of negative feedback. Since those that liked it, as a temporary structure in all likelihood wouldn't have said anything about it at all, they were not heard, just those that can't find humor or fun in anything that is different.

The sad thing is that in this case the squeaky wheel did get the attention and now they won't do anything at all because the "purists" will think it is wrong. Mistakes are made, no doubt. Keeping the wand and the hat as long as they did was just plain in your face... screw you we will do what we want and pocket the money in our bonuses. However, having them to begin with for the reasons that were stated was not at all a mistake.

I still am amazed at how many people are still upset because a plastic cake was overlaid on a plastic castle. Talk about silliness. At the same time are remorseful that Disney doesn't do overlays for the other attraction. You don't have to be a mathematician to make that add up. Anyway, I know a lot of folks will disagree with me on my evaluation of the subject and that is to be expected because no one wants to think that they have any responsibility for what happens there, but, sometimes negative will drive negative reaction much quicker then positive will drive positive reaction.
I agree. I don't understand why people have to be negative all the time, especially by new offerings. They obviously love Disney or otherwise they wouldn't complain so much. They are so comfortable how things are and don't want things to change. Are they forgetting that Walt wanted all the parks to change, expand, and improve for new generations? Sure Frozen is being put in to Norway, but what's an annoying movie to some, will be a classic film in the 20 years to our future kids/grandkids. Walt always said that Disneyland(WDW in this case) is not a museum. A quote I always admire and is a part of my username is "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Sure we lament some losses and celebrate others, but we have to keep in mind that Imagineers know what they are doing. People get upset about things, like Avatar/Pandora when they haven't even experienced it yet. Everyone has opinions, and mine is to keep positive and even if I eventually don't care for what's added, it's not gonna take away my love for WDW, TWDC, and the stories that are dear to my heart.

Last edited:

tirian

Are you suggesting that replacing Imagination version 1 was an upgrade?

It's dangerous to take Walt's museum quote out of context. Change is not necessarily bad or good; it's just something different. It can be progressive or regressive.

Imagineering certainly doesn't always know what it's doing; but 99% of the time, WDI would be exactly right if the MBAs in Team Disney Orlando didn't get in the way.

I agree. I don't understand why people have to be negative all the time, especially by new offerings. They obviously love Disney or otherwise they wouldn't complain so much. They are so comfortable how things are and don't want things to change. Are they forgetting that Walt wanted all the parks to change, expand, and improve for new generations? Sure Frozen is being put in to Norway, but what's an annoying movie to some, will be a classic film in the 20 years to our future kids/grandkids. Walt always said that Disneyland(WDW in this case) is not a museum. A quote I always admire and is a part of my username is "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Sure we lament some losses and celebrate others, but we have to keep in mind that Imagineers know what they are doing. People get upset about things, like Avatar/Pandora when they haven't even experienced it yet. Everyone has opinions, and mine is to keep positive and even if I eventually don't care for what's added, it's not gonna take away my love for WDW, TWDC, and the stories that are dear to my heart.

Eric1955

Again, who are these people? Who is saying the parks should be museums and never change? I think most of the people you see as being negative just want positive change that lives up to the legacy of Walt Disney. That's how I feel anyway.

The Rocketeer

Are you suggesting that replacing Imagination version 1 was an upgrade?

It's dangerous to take Walt's museum quote out of context. Change is not necessarily bad or good; it's just something different. It can be progressive or regressive.

Imagineering certainly doesn't always know what it's doing; but 99% of the time, WDI would be exactly right if the MBAs in Team Disney Orlando didn't get in the way.
Like I said at the end, I don't always enjoy the changes, but it doesn't mean I still won't enjoy the parks as a whole. You're right Imaginneers make mistakes, but so does everybody. If you don't agree with imagineering does then go work for them ;) but your right if Marketing and other branches didn't get in their way there would be a whole lot less complaining, from both sides. It still doesn't mean I'm not gonna stay positive about the parks :)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Who are these "no matter what they do, I will hate it" fans? I don't know anybody like that. Perhaps a few exist but I think most "purists" just want Disney to hold itself to a certain standard. The BAH and Tokyo DisneySea were completed the same year, but I don't think I've ever heard a "purist" say one bad thing about Tokyo DisneySea.
That would be because you haven't been on this board very long. It's not the ones you personally don't hear that are the issue, it is those that make a habit of publicly denouncing everything that Disney does. You will find them to be a very strong, if not majority, voice on this subject.

Goofyernmost

I think what's great about forums is that we all express our opinion. We all agree to disagree about things, but in the end we are all still fans of Disney. Wether you like the new stuff Disney creates or not, you still will go to the parks and enjoy them or otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum ;)
That is what is so sad. Because of the way that opinion is expressed on this one, many people have come on excited to learn more about WDW only to be totally petrified by what they have read. Instead of happily looking forward to a visit, (which BTW, can still be a fun experience) they are apprehensive and anxious about the prospect of being disappointed by the way the place has been described as garbage and/or afraid that they will be overwhelmed by imaginary hardships.

The Rocketeer

That is what is so sad. Because of the way that opinion is expressed on this one, many people have come on excited to learn more about WDW only to be totally petrified by what they have read. Instead of happily looking forward to a visit, (which BTW, can still be a fun experience) they are apprehensive and anxious about the prospect of being disappointed by the way the place has been described as garbage and/or afraid that they will be overwhelmed by imaginary hardships.
That is true though... I try to avoid all social media about the parks before a trip so I can get actually get pumped up about it, which is somewhat disappointing. I still love the parks obviously, but things can get dull with all the talk about what's wrong with them instead of the amazing things that are there.

BrerJon

Can never get enough of that park. Amazed that Sindbad was being refurbed yet again as it looked brand new when I was last there a couple of years back; the upkeep level is amazing compared to Pirates at MK, and nobody's ever going to complain they're short of things to do because a few rides are closed.

If the Chinese Theater got a quarter of the care, attention and money given to any area of DisneySea, this thread would be an extremely happy one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom