Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

Disneyhead'71

My problem with Avatar going where it is, is that it is just incredibly shallow. And it DOES NOT fit the promise of "mythical" creatures. Mythical creatures are born of the myths and legends of actual historical societies from around the globe. They come with an intellectual depth and historical weight that pop culture sci-fi fails to bring to the table.

But hey, it'll be pretty.

twebber55

Am I the only one that sees Avatarland as a land not about mythical beasts but a mythical environment? It will be cool but like everyone I second that beastly kingdom would have been worlds better
i agree its more about a mythical land and if you want to compare the two lands then we need to look at Pandora vs Lost Continent (IOA) to get an answer

I havent been around that long but Beastly Kingdom kind of reminds me a of a back up QB, he never plays and everybody thinks he s better than he really is

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Am I the only one that sees Avatarland as a land not about mythical beasts but a mythical environment? It will be cool but like everyone I second that beastly kingdom would have been worlds better

I think the next Avatar movie might flop. However, I think the land will be fantastic. I also think it will be better than if Disney had done BK. My guess is that after this expansion is done, we'll want JC to have input on everything. The dude is visually retentive which is perfect for theme parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
i agree its more about a mythical land and if you want to compare the two lands then we need to look at Pandora vs Lost Continent (IOA) to get an answer

I havent been around that long but Beastly Kingdom kind of reminds me a of a back up QB, he never plays and everybody thinks he s better than he really is
I think I posted this in another avatar thread, but if they built the exact same rides as Avatar but had the flight simulator ride be flying on the back of a generic dragon through random landscapes and the boat ride took you past unicorns and other mythical creatures and they called the whole thing Beastly Kingdom would that make it so much better?

Anders Limpar

Except in this case Beastly Kingdom is the equivalent of Joe Montana before he became the full time starter at either Notre Dame or with the 49ers.

Anders Limpar

I think I posted this in another avatar thread, but if they built the exact same rides as Avatar but had the flight simulator ride be flying on the back of a generic dragon through random landscapes and the boat ride took you past unicorns and other mythical creatures and they called the whole thing Beastly Kingdom would that make it so much better?

That wasn't the plan for Beastly Kingdom though so you can't look at it that way. Dragons Tower would have been an amazing and innovative ride that was truly an E ticket. It would have been in the pantheon of incredibly well-themed Disney rides alongside Pirates, HM, TOT, etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That wasn't the plan for Beastly Kingdom though so you can't look at it that way. Dragons Tower would have been an amazing and innovative ride that was truly an E ticket. It would have been in the pantheon of incredibly well-themed Disney rides alongside Pirates, HM, TOT, etc.
Who's to say that the Avatar ride won't be an amazing, innovative ride that is truly an E ticket?

The only concept art I've ever seen for Beastly Kingdom featured a coaster with a dragon at the end that looked very similar to EE except with a dragon instead of a yeti.

Mike S

Who's to say that the Avatar ride won't be an amazing, innovative ride that is truly an E ticket?

The only concept art I've ever seen for Beastly Kingdom featured a coaster with a dragon at the end that looked very similar to EE except with a dragon instead of a yeti.
Except I read an overview of what Dragon's Tower would've been and you saw the Dragon more towards the middle and the train came to a full stop, unlike Everest where you zoom by the Yeti. Plus I think a blast of fire is different enough from an arm swipe ;) I'm sure you would be able to find what I read with a quick google search. It sounded legit.

Anders Limpar

Who's to say it will be amazing? We won't know until it opens. However, a Soarin' clone and a boat ride don't exactly get my blood flowing. But nor does Avatar.

Do you enjoy Everest? For me, dragons much like dinosaurs trump basically any other animal experience

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except I read an overview of what Dragon's Tower would've been and you saw the Dragon more towards the middle and the train came to a full stop, unlike Everest where you zoom by the Yeti. Plus I think a blast of fire is different enough from an arm swipe ;) I'm sure you would be able to find what I read with a quick google search. It sounded legit.
I'm sure it would have been a cool ride and not exactly the same as EE. I wasn't really trying to put down Beastly Kingdom. My original point really was that if they called AvatatLand Beastly Kingdom instead but had the exact same rides a lot of people would be gushing over it.

Anders Limpar

It was supposed to be very similar to Journey to the Center of the Earth which is almost universally viewed as an amazing attraction by anybody who has ridden it.

Anders Limpar

I'm sure it would have been a cool ride and not exactly the same as EE. I wasn't really trying to put down Beastly Kingdom. My original point really was that if they called AvatatLand Beastly Kingdom instead but had the exact same rides a lot of people would be gushing over it.

I wouldn't gush over it bc a Soarin' clone and a boat ride don't seem exciting to me. But you can't compare the two in the way that you are doing bc we weren't supposed to get a Soarin' clone and a boat ride as part of Beastly Kingdom. That's my point.

Mike S

Except maybe the boat ride being through an enchanted forest (especially since the original plans called for a maze walkthrough) I really wouldn't be all that excited for a AL/BK swap. Who wants to fly on a friendly Dragon? I want an evil, fire breathing menace threatening my life with fire!!!!!! But maybe that's just me ;)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I wouldn't gush over it bc a Soarin' clone and a boat ride don't seem exciting to me. But you can't compare the two in the way that you are doing bc we weren't supposed to get a Soarin' clone and a boat ride as part of Beastly Kingdom. That's my point.

I think "Soarin' clone" could spell the end of Soarin' or at least make an argument for a major upgrade. You're going to pushed out into the middle of a high res, 3D movie, on a screen that is curved so your peripheral vision will see the images on the side of the screen, with a seat system that will allow for a much great range of motion. The phrase "Soarin clone" undersells this attraction. Unfortunately, one of our construction gurus @Tom is dealing with some sad personal issues, so he may not be around for a while, but he and I were talking about how the original designers of Soarin' would be salivating.

Except maybe the boat ride being through an enchanted forest (especially since the original plans called for a maze walkthrough) I really wouldn't be all that excited for a AL/BK swap. Who wants to fly on a friendly Dragon? I want an evil, fire breathing menace threatening my life with fire!!!!!! But maybe that's just me ;)

I see where you're coming from, but I like the looks of these two attractions as well. Plus, I like the look of the land better than what I saw proposed for BK (even taking into account the unicorn maze). I think the one that really got away was KRR. Did you ever see the original design for Kali (Tiger Rapid Run or whatever)? In one version two rafts were going to be joined together and then break apart right before the exciting bit. It looked 1000 times better than what got built. There are a lot of plans out there for things that look awesome, but never happened. I'm quite happy with this addition personally and I also like how the Rivers of Light is looking. Anyway, I've been looking at this site for 12 years and the whole time, the consensus has been that the ship on BK had sailed. There were serious "Mysterious Island" rumors or something of that ilk at one point, but that ship has also sailed (it looked pretty cool as well). In short, I like the look of this land and it is getting built, so I'm not going to get upset over what might have been.

Mike S

I think "Soarin' clone" could spell the end of Soarin' or at least make an argument for a major upgrade. You're going to pushed out into the middle of a high res, 3D movie, on a screen that is curved so your peripheral vision will see the images on the side of the screen, with a seat system that will allow for a much great range of motion. The phrase "Soarin clone" undersells this attraction. Unfortunately, one of our construction gurus @Tom is dealing with some sad personal issues, so he may not be around for a while, but he and I were talking about how the original designers of Soarin' would be salivating.

I see where you're coming from, but I like the looks of these two attractions as well. Plus, I like the look of the land better than what I saw proposed for BK (even taking into account the unicorn maze). I think the one that really got away was KRR. Did you ever see the original design for Kali (Tiger Rapid Run or whatever)? In one version two rafts were going to be joined together and then break apart right before the exciting bit. It looked 1000 times better than what got built. There are a lot of plans out there for things that look awesome, but never happened. I'm quite happy with this addition personally and I also like how the Rivers of Light is looking. Anyway, I've been looking at this site for 12 years and the whole time, the consensus has been that the ship on BK had sailed. There were serious "Mysterious Island" rumors or something of that ilk at one point, but that ship has also sailed (it looked pretty cool as well). In short, I like the look of this land and it is getting built, so I'm not going to get upset over what might have been.
I actually wasn't referring to Beastly Kingdom vs. Avatar. I was talking about @GoofGoof's hypothetical of the same exact rides for Avatar being built with the Beastly Kingdom theme. The Soarin' type ride seems cool for Avatar's Banshees, but if it were mythological Dragons I would prefer something different. I am looking forward to Avatar very much btw.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I actually wasn't referring to Beastly Kingdom vs. Avatar. I was talking about @GoofGoof's hypothetical of the same exact rides for Avatar being built with the Beastly Kingdom theme. The Soarin' type ride seems cool for Avatar's Banshees, but if it were mythological Dragons I would prefer something different. I am looking forward to Avatar very much btw.
My bad. I read too much sarcasm into your post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom