Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

jaklgreen

Well, that does it. Disney's ruined. The movie made a gazillion dollars but your husband's coworkers didn't like it, so this land is going to fail. :facepalm:

I am sure you did not read my post all the way. I was replying to someone who said all of Cameron's movies where great. Obviously not everyone thinks Avatar was great. I did not say anything about how Disney will be ruined because people did not like avatar. I said I was looking forward to it in the parks but was not looking to watch the new movies. I think your sarcasm was out of line.

The Disney Kid

This may be the sanest message ever about Avatarland. The IP isn't important as long as the land and attractions are amazing. The IP only really matters when you are talking about a mega franchise like HP or Star Wars. SOme of the best rides have zero affiliation to any franchise. I watched Avatar and didn't feel the need to ever watch it again, but I can see how walking into Pandora would be mind blowing if done right.
it depends on how good it is... if it's well done it doesn't matter what the intellectual property is or where they got the idea. I hope personally it focuses more on the land beauty and not as much on the avatars themselves but who knows I mean I'm not obsessed over Song of the South but Splash Mountain is well done

This may be the sanest message ever about Avatarland. The IP isn't important as long as the land and attractions are amazing. The IP only really matters when you are talking about a mega franchise like HP or Star Wars. SOme of the best rides have zero affiliation to any franchise. I watched Avatar and didn't feel the need to ever watch it again, but I can see how walking into Pandora would be mind blowing if done right.

This is exactly where I was going to go. Y'all saved me a lot of typing.

DC0703

I just hope the powers that be don't decide to delay the opening of the land as a result.

As for Avatar Land, I'm very much looking forward to it, and the movie has little to do with my reason (though I did enjoy the movie for what it was). I love the idea of the waterfalls and floating mountains, not to mention a landscape that is beautifully illuminated at night. I think the whole area could be full of eye candy. The idea of a few new rides is also appealing.

GrumpyFan

I just hope the powers that be don't decide to delay the opening of the land as a result.

As for Avatar Land, I'm very much looking forward to it, and the movie has little to do with my reason (though I did enjoy the movie for what it was). I love the idea of the waterfalls and floating mountains, not to mention a landscape that is beautifully illuminated at night. I think the whole area could be full of eye candy. The idea of a few new rides is also appealing.

I think delaying would be foolish. It's in their best interest to open it before the film if possible.
Doing so could be hugely profitable with 2 attendance bumps for Animal Kingdom. The first when the land opens, then another after the film debuts.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am sure you did not read my post all the way. I was replying to someone who said all of Cameron's movies where great. Obviously not everyone thinks Avatar was great. I did not say anything about how Disney will be ruined because people did not like avatar. I said I was looking forward to it in the parks but was not looking to watch the new movies. I think your sarcasm was out of line.

Pirana anyone?

Rodan75

More than anything I think this says that Iger had zero clue how difficult Cameron was going to be to work with and had they had known they would have either picked a different IP or held off on announcing it. I liked the first movie, but I can acknowledge that it was really Alien FernGully, how hard can it be to create a franchise from that.

Cameron really could use some Disney BRAND magic here. He wants this to be his franchise, his Star Wars or LOTR saga, for that he needs consumer products support, TV (toon or Live Action), Toys and probably Comics and/or novels.

I assumed that Cameron had secured some sort of Disney consulting or partnership when he signed off on the theme park rights.

Mike S

Interesting turn of events. 2017 could be a big year for Animal Kingdom if Avatar 2 is good. Who's betting that they show ads for Avatar Land in front of the movie? If people really like the movie how many do you think will say, "We have to go to Disney World to see Avatar"? Could be very interesting.

DisneyRoy

I thought Avatar was bad. It was a beautiful land but the whole story was bad and so was the acting and the people and their weird chanting creeped out my hubby. I am happy they are putting something new into AK and am looking forward to seeing it, but we will not be going to the theater and paying to see the new Avatar movies. Almost all the people I have talked to when the movie came out did not like the movie either. Same with my husband's coworkers and friends. It was hard finding someone that said that it was a great movie.

I enjoyed the movie greatly for what it was....a brilliant technological achievement.

twebber55

I am predicting right now that Avatar 2 won't surpass Avatar in box office. And will be viewed in the industry as a MAJOR flop.

In park Avatar merchandise sales will be abysmal.

DAK's attendance bump will be at the expense of DHS and Epcot.
jumping out on a limb there with the call it wont be bigger than the first lol
this just in no movie for a while will surpass it..no not even star wars (internationally wont get there)

WDW1974

I'm thinking there's a little more strategery being used than is being let on..... 2017 is an awfully convenient year for Avatar to regenerate its buzz with the public.

Nah. Not if you are suggesting this is being delayed to better drum up a synergistic super storm of blue alien $ex kitties.

There is no buzz with Avatar or for any of the sequels Cameron is planning. Even in Hollywood, despite the fact that at least the second film is as much as sure thing as the next Star Wars film. Avatar is like a sugar high ... or quick hit of a quad espresso ... it's good while it lasts, but it has about as much staying power as a 50-something Imagineer with a fanboi.

The film delays have zero to do with DAK's project. I could even argue that it would be far better for WDW to open a project based on a film that was a huge hit just a bit ago (like if WDW opened a Frozen attraction in 2014, for instance) than one based on a film that may have been uber-kewl in 2009, but is already largely forgotten (despite its box office).

Did I just post in this forum? OK ... this was originally in News and Rumors ...

FigmentJedi

I've seen Jake Sulley masks shelfwarm at the local Menards for two Halloweens in a row and I'm pretty sure they were the same ones that just got stashed in the back when the Halloween clearance sales left them as the sole survivors.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Avatar land and Avatar the movie are two different things.

Avatar in AK can do well and expand if it's well done and has cool attractions. Even if next movie doesn't do well you can still build off of them. People will come to a new attraction doesn't matter if a movie is the theaters at the time. Let's say Avatar the movie wasn't made and Disney put out plans for a fantasy land in AK that has new incredible plants, animals and giant blue people. I would think that would be a big enough draw without the movie ever being made and cheaper without paying all the royalties. If the land did well make a movie based on it???? Pirates anyone?

Movie Avatar???? Questionable how that will go. First movie had a formula plot nothing good at all. Evil corporate plus government are out to destroy the charming natives for monetary gains. Throw in the honest researcher, the hard luck guy, some romance and action in a fantasy world. Must have taken a couple of days to bang that all out. The thing that made Avatar was the 3D, special effects and the whole look of the film. The audience has been there done that and 3D is already fading away. Not something you build a franchise on. Maybe but I doubt it. Not my money paying for this film(s), go wild guys whose knows you might come up with something great??? I loved Terminator, not for special effects but for just a relentless killing machine out to track down one person. Movie worked for me. T2???? It was ****. I have been told there is a T3 but I didn't even know that existed. I just know it's going to be hard to create a decent plot line in the follow up movie.

Not sure what you said about T2 since it looks like it got censored but I assume it wasn't good. Personally I think T2 was as good if not better the T1. T3 on the other had was terrible.

flyerjab

Not sure what you said about T2 since it looks like it got censored but I assume it wasn't good. Personally I think T2 was as good if not better the T1. T3 on the other had was terrible.

That guy lost me when he said T2 was terrible (or whatever the censored word was). I think that T2 was better as the plot was better. It was beyond just a killing machine trying to kill someone. And the special effects in that movie were built off of the ones Cameron used in The Abyss. He really helped pioneer the use of CGI in movies. That's why I think he is great for Disney. He thinks outside the box and will always push that agenda. He never seems concerned with going over budget with his movies (see Titanic).

Still eagerly awaiting this project and are FINALLY entering the 2 years and under mark.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
T2 had better effects and was shot better etc. My problem and main problem is all of sudden the terminator is back to protect someone from the past from another terminator. They did cut the violence down and made it more family friendly. I just liked the brutal natural of the first one. If I was writing T2 it would have a continuation of T1 with the humans battling sky net. What happened after defeating the terminator. Any ways if you want to get technical terminators could be continually sent back in time to that one time period and one terminator or another would kill it's target.

I just don't like when a sequel is made for money reasons and the movie is tamed down for that purpose. I've never seen it done but it's the same as taking a feel good family movie and turning it into some dark violent action film. Musketeers decide to run a protection ring and start an under ground gambling empire. All goes violent as they build their new businesses into a large organized crime enterprise, that sort of thing. In my opinion T2 is just a sequel made to cash in on T1 by making T2 viewable by a wider audience.

It's not a matter of I just like violent movies, I watch a wide array of movies. I just like well done movies that stay true to themselves.

If you want to see the human's fighting Skynet check out Terminator Salvation which I thought was pretty good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom