A Spirited Perfect Ten

Jeffxz

You can ask in all sorts of different ways, but I won't talk about it before I am allowed. But, oh, do I want to. This actually is paining me because the typical Disney fanbois will jump on it, as well as the HKDL news, and extrapolate that it means things are afoot at WDW. And WDW has nothing to do with what will be happening at either locale. But it won't matter one iota.

Sounds like marvel news. Would Comcast actually replace MSHI?

Mike S

You can ask in all sorts of different ways, but I won't talk about it before I am allowed. But, oh, do I want to. This actually is paining me because the typical Disney fanbois will jump on it, as well as the HKDL news, and extrapolate that it means things are afoot at WDW. And WDW has nothing to do with what will be happening at either locale. But it won't matter one iota.
I get that you have to wait for the OK. I just got a bit excited because that's where my mind immediately jumped to. Seems like good times for theme park fans. Except for fans who only go to WDW, of course.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So so true.

What does it say about the flaws of that system, that model, that only recently did Big Hero 6 actually cross into the black?

Which do you think will actually happen and cause an actual change in direction?

A) another 'blair witch' string of films happens making studios drool over crazy profits with low budget films
B) a major studio folds w/o a buyout after a string of failures
C) industry shifts drive studios into consolidation and they slowly die fighting for a shrinking pie?

Item A I don't think would cause a long term shift.. just a fad and they'd go back to their crazy films soon enough. Item B I wonder if it would actually get that far and take some big names down with it.. or is the network of production companies and talent so nebulous that there is nothing of substance to go down except for some executives who would just reform under something else. Or Item C... the movie market eventually goes into decline because of imploding forces.

With production being so much contract work.. I'm not sure exactly where things would break down. At the end all I can think of is... will the bankrolls dry up on the funding?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Wakeup Call:

This is for all the fanbois who love Bob Iger and profess to love WDW. I don't need numbers here, because I have facts on my side and @ParentsOf4 has put them out multiple times.

What exactly has Bob done for WDW in almost a decade at the top of the company? What? Leave out timeshares and finishing a half complete budget motel that often has Ritz Carlton pricing. Leave out remodeling a shopping mall/lifestyle center. Leave out plastic tracking bands and trip planning apps. Sorry, but you are out of your mind if you think anyone makes plans to visit WDW based on a new Starbucks at Disney's mall or being able to change FP's on their Apple tracking device.

What has he added to the parks you love?

What can you give him? Not the most popular WDW attraction these days (that would be Soarin). Not the attraction that has brought disco back to Florida again (Michael's work). Not even TSMM as that overrated video game was first approved by MDE.

AIE. Yep, that was him. New Fantasyland, in all its overrated glory. He gets that too. What else? Four parks, almost a decade. Wow! What a list of accomplishments.

WildcatDen

Those of us old enough to remember how we were treated at WDW in the 1970s and 1980s see nothing of that Disney Difference at today's WDW. :(
I cannot think of anything from that time period, service industry wise, that does measure up to what it was. From air travel, to seeing a movie, service pales in comparison today. I don't know. So if I go to Wendy's. Or Burger King, I am "over" Disney?

Mike S

Spirited Wakeup Call:

This is for all the fanbois who love Bob Iger and profess to love WDW. I don't need numbers here, because I have facts on my side and @ParentsOf4 has put them out multiple times.

What exactly has Bob done for WDW in almost a decade at the top of the company? What? Leave out timeshares and finishing a half complete budget motel that often has Ritz Carlton pricing. Leave out remodeling a shopping mall/lifestyle center. Leave out plastic tracking bands and trip planning apps. Sorry, but you are out of your mind if you think anyone makes plans to visit WDW based on a new Starbucks at Disney's mall or being able to change FP's on their Apple tracking device.

What has he added to the parks you love?

What can you give him? Not the most popular WDW attraction these days (that would be Soarin). Not the attraction that has brought disco back to Florida again (Michael's work). Not even TSMM as that overrated video game was first approved by MDE.

AIE. Yep, that was him. New Fantasyland, in all its overrated glory. He gets that too. What else? Four parks, almost a decade. Wow! What a list of accomplishments.
image.jpg

WDW1974

Original Poster
Which do you think will actually happen and cause an actual change in direction?

A) another 'blair witch' string of films happens making studios drool over crazy profits with low budget films
B) a major studio folds w/o a buyout after a string of failures
C) industry shifts drive studios into consolidation and they slowly die fighting for a shrinking pie?

Item A I don't think would cause a long term shift.. just a fad and they'd go back to their crazy films soon enough. Item B I wonder if it would actually get that far and take some big names down with it.. or is the network of production companies and talent so nebulous that there is nothing of substance to go down except for some executives who would just reform under something else. Or Item C... the movie market eventually goes into decline because of imploding forces.

With production being so much contract work.. I'm not sure exactly where things would break down. At the end all I can think of is... will the bankrolls dry up on the funding?

Interesting to ponder. I too really am not sure. Item A never lasts long. More like a reoccurring fad that pops up every 3-5 years and immediately dies. B would have to be a MAJOR and I don't see that happening. If a studio is that close go the brink, someone will swallow them (DWA is worth watching now). C is possible, but people were predicting its demise back when George Lucas could still make great films. Didn't happen then, and unlikely to now.

And funding never seems to go dry on bad ideas ... Just look at how many billions are spent making movies that are total crap. It's akin to people tripping over themselves for the idea of making a Bruce Jenner becomes a woman or just pretends to reality tv show.

These investors are like fanbois at D23. The crappier and more pricey an item, the more they are likely to spend on it.

Animaniac93-98

Did I spy a Chez Remy history review on your site @WDWFigment? Did you hit every Disney park in the world in 2014? That places you in the top .0001% of Lifestylers, congrats! Spirited disclosure: I have never done more than four in a year.

I've been to three since September. Does that now mean I can start getting free swag and a paid blog?

that wonderful children's dessert: cupcakes!

Am I the only one who doesn't like Disney's cupcakes? They're too sugary, and I've had better both from grocery stores and specialty shops.

What happens when Disney has two or three films bomb like that in one fiscal year? Think it can't happen? Iger feels the same way.

I thought it already did happen? There's been so many (Prince of Perisa, Sorcerer's Apprentice, John Carter, Lone Ranger, Oz etc) there must be some fiscal overlap at some point.

BrianLo

Spirited Musings:

Can you be a fan of theme parks ... Of Disney and UNI ... Can you like individual fans of the prior, but still feel dirty about being part of the fan community? Of the whole 'my self-worth as a member of the human species is tied to a BRAND, a cold heartless corporation' ...because that really is where I find myself.

I fundamentally can't understand how alleged 'fans' insist on defending every move that Da Man makes. It just isn't logical to see that, yet it has become so pervasive in the Lifestyler, Twitterverse, Everyone Has a podcast (if not say ... A brain or even a personality) era.

I made it a point to stay away from much of the discussion of DL's huge 60th announcement yesterday because everyone has an opinion or endless opinions and feels they need to share them with the world regardless of their value. No, I don't really care what every twit thinks of the paint job on Walt's tiny 'wittle castle.

I know that @BrianLo has been waiting for some HKDL news and I have it, I just haven't been given the OK to share it yet. Much like the MAJOR work coming to IOA that has nothing to do with a giant monkey (and that I haven't seen anywhere online). Yes, this is a hint to the folks who gave me the info that I'd really like to put it out there just to see the insanity ensue (because WDW fans will read huge things into that resort, all untrue, based upon both the HKDL and IOA news!) And sometimes it is fun to sit back, have a nice spicy Bloody Mary and watch the train wreck.

Speaking of which, I'm told that Jay Rasulo and Tom Staggs are putting forth brave faces that their chances of leading Disney aren't dead in the water. It's always nice to wish upon a star, but it isn't happening no matter what Iger wants, and how many stories get bought and planted.

Did I spy a Chez Remy history review on your site @WDWFigment? Did you hit every Disney park in the world in 2014? That places you in the top .0001% of Lifestylers, congrats! Spirited disclosure: I have never done more than four in a year.

I sorta missed Christmas this year, so I'm about to have my first candy cane (thanks, Suzanne!)

Do I care about the Super Bowl? About as much as ... Let me think ... I'll get back to ya.

Did Disney have any legit media in Anaheim last night or was it all bloggers, Lifestylers and podcasters?

Great to see Spirited pal Richard Sherman working for Disney again. I had heard he was working on something for them, but I honestly thought it was smaller than a song for the 60th.

American companies are so arrogant and so out of touch with their consumers. It isn't simply a Disney issue. ...On a not unrelated note, if you can travel on any airline not based in the USA, I highly advise doing so.

Bus wrap debates and excitement over Hub changes and sunglass shacks ....yes, there is nothing wrong or stale about WDW. It's all with out of touch fans who can't accept that WDW of 2015 wasn't better in 1975 or 1985 or 1995.

Thanks for thinking of me. Almost got palpitations when I saw my name and HKDL!

This wouldn't have anything to do with the second gate, would it? (It was acknowledged by the HK Government at council recently if you missed it).

I'm also curious on @WDWFigment review of Kitchen Calamity, is that up for my viewing pleasure somewhere?

Oh, and I'm pumped for the 60th offerings. I wouldn't actually trade all the upgrades and entertainment offerings for a splashy E-ticket. They are doing about everything but add a new attraction... And I'm totally ok with that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Tron: Legacy, Malificent, Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Chronicles of Narnia were successful tentpoles for Iger.

Eisner just didn't invest in live action tentpoles under the Disney banner. He left that to Disney animation, and it's clear that Disney animation was a juggernaut in the 90's, even with the rise in quality in the past 5 years for DAS.

No, not really. Tron was a bust (and lousy as well). Oz barely eked out a profit. Narnia's rights were sold off if that tells you anything. Alice was a big hit, which is why we are getting another. Malificent was also a hit and did better than the studio forecast.

Your comment on Eisner is largely true with the HUGE exception of The Pirates franchise. He greenlighted the first three films in that series.

FrankLapidus

Speaking of which, I'm told that Jay Rasulo and Tom Staggs are putting forth brave faces that their chances of leading Disney aren't dead in the water. It's always nice to wish upon a star, but it isn't happening no matter what Iger wants, and how many stories get bought and planted.

So a faint glimmer of hope still remains visible on the horizon...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've been to three since September. Does that now mean I can start getting free swag and a paid blog?

Nah. You have to start your own site. I feel like 2014 was slow as I only did three resorts, although a close family member added one more, and two cruise ships.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Disney's cupcakes? They're too sugary, and I've had better both from grocery stores and specialty shops.

I thought it already did happen? There's been so many (Prince of Perisa, Sorcerer's Apprentice, John Carter, Lone Ranger, Oz etc) there must be some fiscal overlap at some point.

Cupcakes are a child's dessert item, much like chicken nuggets and mac n cheese are kiddie cuisine, no matter how many adults gobble them up on the way to morbid obesity. I know they've sorta become chic in the past few years with gourmet stores opening, but they still are simple. Even if you put bacon in one and a candy Baymax on top.

As to the overlap, I'd have to research and I am much too lazy to do so. But Oz was profitable and I believe even PoP was close as it did very well overseas. The other three were huge failures but I think they were each about two years off one another.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Interesting to ponder. I too really am not sure. Item A never lasts long. More like a reoccurring fad that pops up every 3-5 years and immediately dies. B would have to be a MAJOR and I don't see that happening. If a studio is that close go the brink, someone will swallow them (DWA is worth watching now). C is possible, but people were predicting its demise back when George Lucas could still make great films. Didn't happen then, and unlikely to now.

And funding never seems to go dry on bad ideas ... Just look at how many billions are spent making movies that are total ****. It's akin to people tripping over themselves for the idea of making a Bruce Jenner becomes a woman or just pretends to reality tv show.

I just have a hard time getting my head around the issue that movie budges are growing faster than the movie market. Meaning, not only do films need to do more to be successful, they need more of the total market for themselves to be successful. Generally this leads to shrinking the # of products out there.. (and we've seen that with Disney.. less films out). The cycle just doesn't look to be sustainable.. yet somehow they have.

Will a studio really collapse, or will it just act like silly puddy where somehow they can tear parts off and remold them and remold them and no one really will know the difference in the end result?

I mean when people lose on these films... the losses hit someone eventually... the line of suckers willing to empty their pockets can't be endless.. and it's not like the government who can just print more money :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just have a hard time getting my head around the issue that movie budges are growing faster than the movie market. Meaning, not only do films need to do more to be successful, they need more of the total market for themselves to be successful. Generally this leads to shrinking the # of products out there.. (and we've seen that with Disney.. less films out). The cycle just doesn't look to be sustainable.. yet somehow they have.

Will a studio really collapse, or will it just act like silly puddy where somehow they can tear parts off and remold them and remold them and no one really will know the difference in the end result?

I mean when people lose on these films... the losses hit someone eventually... the line of suckers willing to empty their pockets can't be endless.. and it's not like the government who can just print more money :)

And that is why Bob Iger is bending over (if I put in a fanboi joke will this thread suddenly see moderation?) for China and India and any large emerging market left.

I don't think this model is any more sustainable than WDW's business model, but I also think it can go on for many more years before change has to happen.

Figments Friend

Change of Topics.... from the FAILING TO PAY ATTENTION Department..... The Epcot Starbucks Mugs were pulled. Why? Because they depict monorail purple.

And as we all know, monorail purple was the one involved in a fatal accident.

So clearly someone in management wasnt paying attention here. Maybe they were off at Perkins while it was approved?

http://mynews13.com/content/news/cf...icles/cfn/2015/1/28/disney_starbucks_mug.html

Wow. Just wow.
Instant rare collectible for those who may have bought one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom