A Spirited Perfect Ten

Rodan75

A fanboi friend who reads every word I write (who doesn't, right?) has been trying to convince me for over a year that Bob has his sights on Warners and that just is not happening. Just imagine the fanboi blather if TWDC owned the theatrical home of The Boy Who Lived.

And Wanda is one to watch. Seriously. :)

I agree. I don't see why disney would go after time warner, they would get some IP, but not enough to warrant the price. And that many cable networks may not be seen as an asset in the current ad market and anti-cable climate, as well as drawing more attention than Iger would like on the non-magical side of the business.

Nubs70

It depends, Disney may get royalties for the design and software. RFID is the future for IDs plain and simple, the bands are fairly comfortable, durable, and water-proof which makes them uniquely suited for medical centers as well as theme parks.
This digital read from from a distance/close proximity already has been in use for years in employee badges.

Mike S

The attraction only becomes more embarrassing sigh each passing year as show quality continues to improve. It'd be nice to see it finally built out as intended. While I never ride them, I would be sad to see both of Toon Lagoon's ride paths disappear. Just as pure rides they're a lot of fun.
Yeah it would be a shame to lose them. I would prefer that they just did major work on Dudley and a replacement land was focused on Lost Continent instead.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So so true.

What does it say about the flaws of that system, that model, that only recently did Big Hero 6 actually cross into the black?

Why not put out many smaller budget films? Oh, yeah, because Iger's ego won't allow that. Same reason why Agents of SHIELD hasn't been axed yet on ABC.

But it SHOULD be, Why the H--- could not ABC make this a show about the good guys WIN instead of going into darker and darker subplots and finally back to 1930's Germany. I happen to like Phil Coulson's character a badass in a suit no less with a slightly modified classic car.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree Disney is unique and it has always been unique. While I think we can both agree that the current TWDC is not what Walt Disney may have envisioned, while you would rather break it up. I prefer to see TWDC continue to try and inject their essence into these new brands and businesses. I grew up watching Disney Afternoon, Disney Movies, Star Wars and reading Marvel comics they all have equal weight to me. If TWDC bought Hasbro and added GI Joe and Transformers to their IP Army I would have a complete and utter nerdgasm. But while I'm at nerd at heart, my head is focused on business survival and synergy and I think these moves to redefine TWDC have strengthened the company in ways that will pay off for the next 20+ years. (Added Hasbro wouldn't fit the current licensing model and would add unnecessary cost overhead to a pure profit business)

They have strengthened the company's portfolio, and coffers, but also harmed the core BRAND. I don't want to see the company broken up, although I do believe Disney isn't capable of running its P&R unit to the standards it created and others have surpassed in areas.

And let's be serious, Disney wasn't headed to the trash pile of history without Marvel and Lucas. You can easily make the case for why Pixar was a must buy simply because animation is the life blood of this company. Companies can survive and thrive and grow without changing ...Chik-Fil-A doesn't have to open on Sundays or add burgers or pizza to its menu lineup to stay relevant. ... Mercedes Benz doesn't have to add a $17,000 auto to its lineup or start selling boats.

The issue, and it is one on Wall Street, is what happens when Disney isn't really about Disney anymore?

My view is that Eisner resuscitated TWDC and protected it from becoming Hanna Barbera and Iger has built on that to ensure that TWDC has a long term future. That doesn't mean that I believe in everything that each man has done at the helm, but that the broad strokes of what they have done is positive.

When we compare Disney 2015 to Disney 1959 or 1971 or 1982 we don't also look at how media companies are run in 2015. We don't compare Les Moonves salary to Iger's, we don't look at the way employees are treated at Sony Pictures or Dreamworks, we don't compare TWDC stock buy backs to its Fortune 500 peers.

I agree that Disney is different and should be held to a higher standard, but to fail to acknowledge the realities of 2015 seems short sighted and relegates these discussions to fringe vs thoughtful analysis and opinion.

MDE did far more than keep Disney from becoming Hanna Barbera, he created a media powerhouse and grew (again, huge difference from creating versus buying ... I can buy you a 5-star dinner, but I won't! But I can't cook you one. Disney has become meek and doesn't take chances and when it actually creates something valuable ...like Frozen ... It's shocked and doesn't know how to react. Worlds different than Disney under Michael) the company organically in so many natural, yet never tried, ways.

Bob is like the spoiled fanboi who uses Mommy and Daddy's money to visit every theme park on Earth, all while crowing about how special and worldly he is. It's incredibly easy to do what Bob is doing. Doing what Michael did took guts and courage and instincts. It find,t always work and wasn't pretty when it didn't, but jt did work far more often than it didn't.

I do look at how media companies are run in 2015. I work in the business. I have family in the business. I follow it ... Daily. What good would it do to compare Les's salary to Bob's? What would you glean from that? That CEOs are overpaid and overvalued. ...How does comparing the treatment of employees at smaller companies compare to Disney as even a talking point? I guess you could compare how Sony or Dreamworks treat their employees versus just the Walt Disney Studios employees but to what end? I suppose there might be some value in the stock buybacks point, but my contention is still that Disney has always been special and unique.

I'd just add that while we often go off on tangents, myself included, much of this discussion isn't fringe. Many of these points are what gets tossed around from taco trucks in Burbank to lunches on Wall Street among people in the business and people paid very well to observe and advise on it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It could be that Disney has a 34 year head start in developing a reputation as a family vacation destination combined with a clean quality product. I believe that most people would rather have a high quality Star Wars attraction in their Disney park than something like Little Mermaid even though Mermaid is Disney and Star Wars is not.

Honestly, I don't know that I agree with this unless you are talking about the garbage attraction that opened in O-Town two years ago.

If you truly built an amazing immersive ride themed to TLM (autocorrect changed mermaid written out to Kitkats!) I'm not at all sure that more people would want an amazing immersive themed SW attraction if given a choice. Or maybe they would, I just don't think it would be by some crazy margin.

It's all about quality. TDL has an E-Ticket Pooh ride.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm sure there's a nugget of truth to this, as TL probably barely made it into the black (if at all). However, it wasn't the high-cost bombs that Carter and Ranger were, and arguably had more factors going against it than the other films (chief among them, being a sequel to a 30 year-old, high concept niche sci-fi film).

Reportedly the 3rd film is still in the works, with the script going through rewrites. As another poster pointed out, I don't believe the company builds a major attraction without plans to use it again at some point.

The Tron coaster for SDL was approved and put into the pipeline before the film even came out. I wouldn't use its existence as proof that Disney is going to stick with a franchise that looks better as a themed environment than as a film making/ storytelling device.

And there were plans for Tron attractions in Anaheim and Orlando ...very briefly. They are dead.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They have strengthened the company's portfolio, and coffers, but also harmed the core BRAND. I don't want to see the company broken up, although I do believe Disney isn't capable of running its P&R unit to the standards it created and others have surpassed in areas.

And let's be serious, Disney wasn't headed to the trash pile of history without Marvel and Lucas. You can easily make the case for why Pixar was a must buy simply because animation is the life blood of this company. Companies can survive and thrive and grow without changing ...Chik-Fil-A doesn't have to open on Sundays or add burgers or pizza to its menu lineup to stay relevant. ... Mercedes Benz doesn't have to add a $17,000 auto to its lineup or start selling boats.

The issue, and it is one on Wall Street, is what happens when Disney isn't really about Disney anymore?

MDE did far more than keep Disney from becoming Hanna Barbera, he created a media powerhouse and grew (again, huge difference from creating versus buying ... I can buy you a 5-star dinner, but I won't! But I can't cook you one. Disney has become meek and doesn't take chances and when it actually creates something valuable ...like Frozen ... It's shocked and doesn't know how to react. Worlds different than Disney under Michael) the company organically in so many natural, yet never tried, ways.

Bob is like the spoiled fanboi who uses Mommy and Daddy's money to visit every theme park on Earth, all while crowing about how special and worldly he is. It's incredibly easy to do what Bob is doing. Doing what Michael did took guts and courage and instincts. It find,t always work and wasn't pretty when it didn't, but jt did work far more often than it didn't.

I do look at how media companies are run in 2015. I work in the business. I have family in the business. I follow it ... Daily. What good would it do to compare Les's salary to Bob's? What would you glean from that? That CEOs are overpaid and overvalued. ...How does comparing the treatment of employees at smaller companies compare to Disney as even a talking point? I guess you could compare how Sony or Dreamworks treat their employees versus just the Walt Disney Studios employees but to what end? I suppose there might be some value in the stock buybacks point, but my contention is still that Disney has always been special and unique.

I'd just add that while we often go off on tangents, myself included, much of this discussion isn't fringe. Many of these points are what gets tossed around from taco trucks in Burbank to lunches on Wall Street among people in the business and people paid very well to observe and advise on it.

As to overpaid look at Iger's compensation vs Tim Cook's over at Apple, Apple has not been doing stock buybacks so they have enough cash in the kitty to cover TWDC's market cap outright, Not to mention with Tim Cook's 2014 paycheck was 9.2 million as compared to 40 odd million that 'Mr Repurchase' is pulling down this year. It's almost as if you can predict corporate success as an inverse of the CEO's paycheck.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As to overpaid look at Iger's compensation vs Tim Cook's over at Apple, Apple has not been doing stock buybacks so they have enough cash in the kitty to cover TWDC's market cap outright, Not to mention with Tim Cook's 2014 paycheck was 9.2 million as compared to 40 odd million that 'Mr Repurchase' is pulling down this year. It's almost as if you can predict corporate success as an inverse of the CEO's paycheck.

I just hate Apple on principle. They could afford to give EVERY American alive today $556. That is improvising. And they created the best tracking device in the history of mankind and made them so they are obsolete every 18 months and people go and buy new ones. Amazing ... But I really don't want to get off on that tangent.

I still have yet to purchase one of their products and I live just fine.

lazyboy97o

I just hate Apple on principle. They could afford to give EVERY American alive today $556. That is improvising. And they created the best tracking device in the history of mankind and made them so they are obsolete every 18 months and people go and buy new ones. Amazing ... But I really don't want to get off on that tangent.

I still have yet to purchase one of their products and I live just fine.
Because it just isn't true no matter how many times it gets repeated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom