Magic Kingdom/WDW's 50th Anniversary

tirian

I don't know about you guys, but I already heard plans for Shanghai Disneyland's 10th anniversary

Free air masks (with filters) to the first 1,000 guests?

They're going to paint the castle red with a massive portrait of the Chinese president. At night, digitally mapped projections will feature dragons writhing through the windows and balconies.

trr1

I hear this is coming back for the 50th
wdwa_castle_cake.jpg

doctornick

By the 50th, they will most likely still be touting Avatar(Pandora) and Star Wars land and the DHS redo as the big stuff for the 50th. Honestly I'm hoping for a new MK E-ticket, but I'm not holding my breath.

Considering MK is the park actually having the 50th anniversary, they should get something of substance for 2021.

Now, maybe that would be some new large scale entertainment (e.g. replacements for Wishes and MSEP if not done prior to then). But I would hope that MK would at least get one new major attraction: Fire Mountain or Indiana Jones in Adventureland, the Tron lightcycles in Tomorrowland, maybe finally realizing the original great project of Western River Expedition on the land north of TSI.

I would be very disappointed if MK doesn't get something big for the 50th.

lazyboy97o

Considering MK is the park actually having the 50th anniversary, they should get something of substance for 2021.

Now, maybe that would be some new large scale entertainment (e.g. replacements for Wishes and MSEP if not done prior to then). But I would hope that MK would at least get one new major attraction: Fire Mountain or Indiana Jones in Adventureland, the Tron lightcycles in Tomorrowland, maybe finally realizing the original great project of Western River Expedition on the land north of TSI.

I would be very disappointed if MK doesn't get something big for the 50th.
What did Disneyland get of substance for its 50th Anniversary? Space Mountain literally fell apart and had to be rebuilt. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters was a clone from Tokyo Disneyland and filled a space that had been vacant for four years.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'll forgive you for not remembering Lucky the Dinosaur at AK, but how could you forget Cinderellabration at MK?

Actually, Lucky was my favorite thing of all, but he wasn't permanent. I wish he was. For humor purposes, I realized that adding reduced parking fees for DAK would've been good, but only after I posted. I really didn't remember specifically what MK got, but I remember I thought it was lame so the "whatever it was that MK got" was on purpose to emphasize the lameness.

Lucky

Actually, Lucky was my favorite thing of all, but he wasn't permanent. I wish he was. For humor purposes, I realized that adding reduced parking fees for DAK would've been good, but only after I posted. I really didn't remember specifically what MK got, but I remember I thought it was lame so the "whatever it was that MK got" was on purpose to emphasize the lameness.
It was lame. The castle stage shows all look alike to me no matter what they call them.

Lucky was great but he had lots of technical issues from the start. I had to go to AK 3 days (early May 2005) just to catch one of his scheduled appearances.

cjk0318

Perhaps we'll get something elaborate, maybe not- we'll have a new C.E.O (and hopefully a new Chairman for P&R, if my predictions are correct) for the launch, and even prior to that.

Bocabear

They are going to blow the celebration budget by spending it all on advertising that it is their 50th Anniversary...that is what they usually do with the money...Does WDW actually need millions of dollars worth of billboards in South Florida? Do they need to install hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of lamp post banners along HWY 192? It is a crazy waste of money....while they slash the budget for attractions and maintenance...

prberk

Why did Walt Disney World get new attractions for Disnyland's 50th anniversary?

I have no idea. That's why I asked the question.

They billed Disneyland's 50th anniversary celebration officially as the worldwide anniversary of Disney parks in general, since Disneyland was the first. This gave them a platform (MBA buzzword sometimes for "excuse") to copy attractions (rather than build all-new things) from other parks and bill them as "gifts" from other parks across the globe.

It was all a part of the movement toward "Disney Parks" globalization (homogenization), which hasn't stopped. I think that they thought they would get more bang for their buck by using a non-localized ad campaign and adding new attractions by simply building the same attraction they had already built in another park and yet calling it new and calling the whole thing a global celebration of 50 years of Disney parks.

(And yes, I realize that Disney has always duplicated rides to some exent, but hardly ever made it so obvious in their advertising.)

DisneyGentleman

It was lame. The castle stage shows all look alike to me no matter what they call them.
If you wear headphones while watching the castle stage shows so it blocks the music, they are truly hilarious.
The castle is so big and the audience is so far that the show has to be "big".

So it's mainly characters running from side to side across the stage. Not as much a show as a football scrimmage.

Really a hoot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom