A Spirited Perfect Ten

WildcatDen

Yes but if you bring your child into a bar, thats the environment you're exposing them to.
True Dave, true. I guess most of the bars I have gone to also serve food. Even Applebee's, Chili's and Outback have table seating in the bar area so kids can and are exposed to the bar atmosphere. I guess what I am saying is why do people feel the need to cuss like a sailor when in a bar, and not only cuss but feel the need to do it a few clicks above 11 on the amp? And, yes, I apologize to all those sailors who I lumped into my generalization. If I feel the need to cuss, I will drive in traffic or hit my thumb with a hammer. . .

MrHorse

Disney will continue until the fines exceed the additional profit by using bar seating for kids, Up here in my state a under 21 with or WITHOUT alcohol at the bar is good for an IMMEDIATE suspension (as in RIGHT NOW kick everyone out of the establishment and the booze is seized) of your liquor license and you can petition in 90 days to get it back.

Selling to under 21's is also good for a criminal record for the CLERK and judges routinely convict up here as the state booze cops run stings all the time.

Down here it's pretty much completely unenforced, except maybe in the case of nuisance businesses. I rather doubt Disney is being fined at all; they draw enough water that it's unlikely they would be fined even if the law was seriously enforced.

Not to mention, even if kids ARE drinking underage they certainly aren't doing it at $15/cocktail... ;)

Goofyernmost

True Dave, true. I guess most of the bars I have gone to also serve food. Even Applebee's, Chili's and Outback have table seating in the bar area so kids can and are exposed to the bar atmosphere. I guess what I am saying is why do people feel the need to cuss like a sailor when in a bar, and not only cuss but feel the need to do it a few clicks above 11 on the amp? And, yes, I apologize to all those sailors who I lumped into my generalization. If I feel the need to cuss, I will drive in traffic or hit my thumb with a hammer. . .
Cause it makes them seem all grown up! :cautious: Pretty much the same reason that teenagers and younger drop the "F" bomb every other word because it just smacks of maturity.

71jason

Disney will continue until the fines exceed the additional profit by using bar seating for kids, Up here in my state a under 21 with or WITHOUT alcohol at the bar is good for an IMMEDIATE suspension (as in RIGHT NOW kick everyone out of the establishment and the booze is seized) of your liquor license and you can petition in 90 days to get it back.

Selling to under 21's is also good for a criminal record for the CLERK and judges routinely convict up here as the state booze cops run stings all the time.

Used to run stings down here when PI was still going (and @asianway is right, violation got you fired on the spot by WDW). Curious to see if that starts up again with the attempt to rebuild The Landing as "Third-Party Run Drunky Town".

It's one thing when a kid sits for 2 minutes while ordering Dad orders a drink. But serving meals at the bar like T Rex apparently did? Big no-no.

71jason

Down here it's pretty much completely unenforced, except maybe in the case of nuisance businesses. I rather doubt Disney is being fined at all; they draw enough water that it's unlikely they would be fined even if the law was seriously enforced.

Unenforced ... except at Universal (walk by Margaritaville some time), or HoB, or Town Tavern or a host of other places mentioned. I doubt stings are taking place in hotel bars just because they're small and hard to reach. But this going on in DTD is a bad trend; if Landrys execs peruse these boards like TWDC execs do, I'd be ripping some T Rex managers a new corprolite-delivery hole if you catch my drift.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes but if you bring your child into a bar, thats the environment you're exposing them to.
I agree with this if it's an actual bar. The bar at T-Rex doesn't qualify IMHO. It's a family restaurant that has a bar in it. Kids have no place at all in a real bar.

I don't know why anyone would choose to have their kid's sit at the actual bar. They make a mess at a table that is the proper height. I don't see an issue with people with kid's sitting at a table that is in the bar area at a restaurant.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I agree with this if it's an actual bar. The bar at T-Rex doesn't qualify IMHO. It's a family restaurant that has a bar in it. Kids have no place at all in a real bar.

I don't know why anyone would choose to have their kid's sit at the actual bar. They make a mess at a table that is the proper height. I don't see an issue with people with kid's sitting at a table that is in the bar area at a restaurant.
I think it mostly comes down to parents not wanting to wait for a table so they plop the kiddies down at the bar. Is the bar at a place like T-Rex gonna expose those kids to anything traumatic? No. But the purpose of the bar is for patrons who wish to have cocktails first and foremost. they have the option to order food if they like. A bar is not intended to circumvent waiting for a table, its for ADULTS to enjoy drinks. If Disney allows families with kids to occupy 90% of the bar (which is what I saw when i was there), whats the point of even having a bar?

Whats the need to to waste the knowledge and talent of a good bartender if he is just pouring soda in a glass? Not to mention the money NOT being spent on alcohol. Im not surprised Disney chooses to look the other way with kids being at a bar, but Im extremely surprised they allow alco-dollars to go down the drain. A group of three of four adults having drinks at the bar brings in far more profit than a family of three or four on the disney dining plan sitting at the bar. And I saw that exact thought in the mangers eyes when he attempted to seat us at T-Rex only to find his bar crammed with toddlers.

dstrawn9889

I think it mostly comes down to parents not wanting to wait for a table so they plop the kiddies down at the bar. Is the bar at a place like T-Rex gonna expose those kids to anything traumatic? No. But the purpose of the bar is for patrons who wish to have cocktails first and foremost. they have the option to order food if they like. A bar is not intended to circumvent waiting for a table, its for ADULTS to enjoy drinks. If Disney allows families with kids to occupy 90% of the bar (which is what I saw when i was there), whats the point of even having a bar?

Whats the need to to waste the knowledge and talent of a good bartender if he is just pouring soda in a glass? Not to mention the money NOT being spent on alcohol. Im not surprised Disney chooses to look the other way with kids being at a bar, but Im extremely surprised they allow alco-dollars to go down the drain. A group of three of four adults having drinks at the bar brings in far more profit than a family of three or four on the disney dining plan sitting at the bar. And I saw that exact thought in the mangers eyes when he attempted to seat us at T-Rex only to find his bar crammed with toddlers.
well mostly disney does not care because the restaurant is owned and operated by Landry's... Disney only collects rent

pixargal

Had to run into my mall earlier tonight and stopped by the Disney outlet, for my semi-weekly 'what is WDW P&R retail trying to dump now?'
I lived in Weston, for about one year, around 2001. This mall was one of my favorite places to visit, especially the Disney outlet. They had some unique items available. If I got lucky, I could buy them at 75% off. My favorite item I purchased there was a monorail Christmas ornament that played a recorded message when you pushed the button on top.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
well mostly disney does not care because the restaurant is owned and operated by Landry's... Disney only collects rent
Whoever is profiting off the place should care. Even more so if that family at the bar is on the dining plan. im sure the profits are far more slim when thats the case compared to four people buying drinks at full price.

the.dreamfinder

Disney's exploitation of nostalgia has been a frequent topic here. An interview with a former Nintendo executive has a different perspective on how a company determines to mine nostalgia, through downloadable copies of old games in this case, while not being manipulative. It's refreshing to see a company take a thoughtful approach which I hope Disney will one day adopt.

http://www.dromble.com/2015/01/21/f...os-culture-third-party-support-and-much-more/
From what I understand, you were involved with the Wii’s Virtual Console service in the early years. In a previous interview, you mentioned how you did market research to figure out the ideal pricing policy for the Virtual Console on the Wii.

Can you talk about how you and Nintendo of America came up with these prices? Why did you choose to price VC games with a flat-rate by console? For example, I think we can agree that not all NES games are the same quality as something like Super Mario Bros 3.

Five years from now, do you predict that it will become more difficult to sell old retro games at those current prices? Example: Will consumers always be willing to pay $5 for Ice Climber?

Adelman: First we got a sense from market research about what platforms people were interested in. We had pretty much every classic system on the list, and these were the ones that stood out as the heavy favorites. We also did some market research on people’s willingness to pay, and came up with these prices accordingly. There was a lot of debate about whether to charge more for Super Mario Bros. 3 as opposed to Ice Climbers, and we ultimately decided on a fixed price per platform for a couple reasons. First, it’s simpler to manage from an internal processing perspective. If each game had a separate price, there would be lots of opinions about each game, and consolidating all of that feedback would be very time consuming. Second, there was a little feeling of holding people’s childhood hostage if we priced certain games higher than others. To take an absurd example, let’s say we charged $50 for Super Mario Bros. There would be some people who really have strong nostalgia for that game who would begrudgingly pay it. But they’d probably feel cheated and exploited.

Nintendo understands its importance to a lot of people’s childhoods, so they really want to avoid undoing that goodwill.
Finally, everyone has a game that, for them, was their biggest memory as a child. I remember I probably put in over 100 hours on Nobunaga’s Ambition with my brothers. For other people, that game might be Ice Climbers. I haven’t seen any research on this, but I suspect the majority of sales on Virtual Console are from people who have already played the game as a child. I’m sure there are some cases of people going back and playing games they missed, but if I had to guess, I’d say that’s around 25% of the market. The other 75% are people reliving memories.

It’s hard to say whether the old prices will stay in the long run. My gut says that demand overall is not very price sensitive. Even $10 for N64 games is not going to break the bank for anyone. I think the bigger factor is fatigue. A lot of people have scratched that nostalgia itch, so they may not feel a need to play those games again.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Disney's exploitation of nostalgia has been a frequent topic here. An interview with a former Nintendo executive has an different perspective on how a company determines to mine nostalgia, through downloadable copies of old games in this case, while not being manipulative. It's refreshing to see a company take a thoughtful approach which I hope Disney will one day adopt.
Nintendo has been doing so many things right as far as a public image goes. It'd be great if Disney could find their own Reggie Fils-Aime: Someone that's amazingly charismatic and actually gives a dang about the product.

Mike S

Disney's exploitation of nostalgia has been a frequent topic here. An interview with a former Nintendo executive has an different perspective on how a company determines to mine nostalgia, through downloadable copies of old games in this case, while not being manipulative. It's refreshing to see a company take a thoughtful approach which I hope Disney will one day adopt.
Nintendo is also starting to release Wii games to download on Wii U and one of the titles, Metroid Prime Trilogy (my absolute favorite btw. I'm lucky enough to have bought a copy when it first released in a metal case ;)), is right now going for $100+ on eBay due to its rarity. The price Nintendo will be asking? $20 ($10 the week it's released). And it's three amazing games in one. Talk about an amazing deal.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

From what I've heard of Cinderella, it unfortunately has hitched it's star to the overly CGI-ied wagon that Maleficent rode shotgun on. Still, I'm holding out some hope - you've got Kenneth Branaugh directing, and while he seems to be mostly a director for hire these days (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, I'm looking at you), he's got serious chops (Henry V, Hamlet), and Cate Blanchett as the wicked stepmother (are they calling her Lady Tremaine in the film?) should be a riot.
they are really ruining the movies with way too much CGI.
Battle of the five armies was mostly awful CGI crapfest, not seen since transformers II.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney's exploitation of nostalgia has been a frequent topic here. An interview with a former Nintendo executive has a different perspective on how a company determines to mine nostalgia, through downloadable copies of old games in this case, while not being manipulative. It's refreshing to see a company take a thoughtful approach which I hope Disney will one day adopt.

'...avoid undoing that goodwill'

such a simple statement.. such wide implications. If only the execs at Disney would take a moment to ponder that phrase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom