A Spirited Perfect Ten

RayTheFirefly

they are really ruining the movies with way too much CGI.
Battle of the five armies was mostly awful CGI crapfest, not seen since transformers II.
Agreed. I feel like movies like Maleficent and soon to be Cinderella are basically just animated movies. There is scenery in Brave that looks more real than some of the "real" scenes in Maleficent.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Agreed. I feel like movies like Maleficent and soon to be Cinderella are basically just animated movies. There is scenery in Brave that looks more real than some of the "real" scenes in Maleficent.
I saw a commercial today for Microsofts HoloLens. It looked cool, but you basically have to walk around with this big headset that covers your whole head and eyes. Are we heading towards a life of walking around in a hologram induced reality? Im sure there are people out there that cant wait to live like that. Its crazy.

PhotoDave219

True Dave, true. I guess most of the bars I have gone to also serve food. Even Applebee's, Chili's and Outback have table seating in the bar area so kids can and are exposed to the bar atmosphere. I guess what I am saying is why do people feel the need to cuss like a sailor when in a bar, and not only cuss but feel the need to do it a few clicks above 11 on the amp? And, yes, I apologize to all those sailors who I lumped into my generalization. If I feel the need to cuss, I will drive in traffic or hit my thumb with a hammer. . .

Why? To make the children go away.....

Travel Junkie

SDL's castle has sure shot up quick.

B8Dz5tQCEAAd3ZT.jpg:large

RayTheFirefly

I saw a commercial today for Microsofts HoloLens. It looked cool, but you basically have to walk around with this big headset that covers your whole head and eyes. Are we heading towards a life of walking around in a hologram induced reality? Im sure there are people out there that cant wait to live like that. Its crazy.
Yeah, real sets/effect will always look better. The original Jurassic Park looks more real than the trailer for the new one (granted, as discussed, it could have been rougher effects just done for the trailer).

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it mostly comes down to parents not wanting to wait for a table so they plop the kiddies down at the bar. Is the bar at a place like T-Rex gonna expose those kids to anything traumatic? No. But the purpose of the bar is for patrons who wish to have cocktails first and foremost. they have the option to order food if they like. A bar is not intended to circumvent waiting for a table, its for ADULTS to enjoy drinks. If Disney allows families with kids to occupy 90% of the bar (which is what I saw when i was there), whats the point of even having a bar?

Whats the need to to waste the knowledge and talent of a good bartender if he is just pouring soda in a glass? Not to mention the money NOT being spent on alcohol. Im not surprised Disney chooses to look the other way with kids being at a bar, but Im extremely surprised they allow alco-dollars to go down the drain. A group of three of four adults having drinks at the bar brings in far more profit than a family of three or four on the disney dining plan sitting at the bar. And I saw that exact thought in the mangers eyes when he attempted to seat us at T-Rex only to find his bar crammed with toddlers.

Whether it's parents with kids or an adult couple I think everyone is looking to beat the wait by agreeing to sit at the bar there. I don't see a lot of adults going to T-Rex just for drinks and nightlife.

I think the blame lies with the establishment, not the parents. I assume there was a wait for regular tables at the time. The manager solicited you to come into the restaurant and sit at the bar with no wait (until he realized all of the bar seats were filled). How do you know he didn't do the same thing for the families with kids? They walked up, found out there was a wait and he offered the bar seats. This has happened to me on several occasions with my kids at chain type restaurants near me. When you turn around to leave after hearing it's a 45 min wait they offer you the bar area. I personally wouldn't want to sit at the bar with my kids, but if the manager is actively offering bar seats to parents/kids then you can't really blame them for taking the seats.

The question is why would the manager want to do that? My guess is it probably stems from the fact that T-Rex doesn't have a lively bar scene. If they don't sit families there the bar may go mostly empty a lot of the time. My guess is a few people would stop in for a drink while they wait for their table. If they wanted to establish a night-life vibe they would obviously not allow kids at the bar. My guess is Landry's sees more profit from a 90% full bar of soda drinkers.

I do think that there should be certain establishments at Disney Springs that have a 21+ rule after a certain time (9PM or 10PM) to help with the nightlife vibe, but T-Rex isn't one of them.

fillerup

I guess Disney has been ignoring this law for many years as I remeber eating meals at the bars of places like 50s Prime all the time. It was simply easier than waiting for a table.

As far as I can tell, Florida law has nothing to say on the subject of minors in a bar or where they sit.

There's pretty clear law on not serving minors, but the only other mention I see is the prohibition on people under 18 loitering in a "dance hall" without a parent or guardian.

But maybe someone else has better eyes than mine. I'll be happy to be informed otherwise.

Chapter 562 Beverage Law: Enforcement

I'm a fan of child-free bars, but it seems that it's up to each establishment.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As far as I can tell, Florida law has nothing to say on the subject of minors in a bar or where they sit.

There's pretty clear law on not serving minors, but the only other mention I see is the prohibition on people under 18 loitering in a "dance hall" without a parent or guardian.

But maybe someone else has better eyes than mine. I'll be happy to be informed otherwise.

Chapter 562 Beverage Law: Enforcement

I'm a fan of child-free bars, but it seems that it's up to each establishment.
It doesn't look like its a state law. Possibly a county one.

In PA the law states that children can sit anywhere (including the bar) as long as they are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Minors without their parent/guardian can still go into a place that serves alcohol as long as it serves food too, but cannot be legally seated at the bar or in the bar area.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
No. However, WDW is not as good about enforcing the law as Universal, some (but apparently not all) of its third party operators, or other local bars in the area.

Some might call that a fault of management training by TDO. Are you really all that shocked by that?

Ha! No. More shocked to think lawmakers would allow it. Phew. My DD and I sat at the bar during a rainstorm this past year at PrimeTime. She is 23, looks about 16 at best. I ordered us each an adult beverage and the look on the bartenders face when we sat down as I ordered was priceless. After the look at the ID was over we watched her mix the Dad Lemonade. Her hand was lighter with the liquor with my DDs drink than mine as the 23 year old who doesn't drink often is under 100#s. I appreciated her slight of hand as did my DD.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Well.... Legally allowed. Not sure welcome is the correct term.

Kids are 'allowed' in many bars in Illinois however a bar owner can make that any age they wish or only allow 21+

What is not allowed here is no person under 21 years is allowed to be seated a the BAR proper. The tables within the bar is OK. Just never the Bar itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom